Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mower

Fs2Crew vs FDC Live Cockpit

Guest Mower

I am confused: these 2 products appear to do the same thing.Why should I choose one over the other?Thanx.

Hi,I won't criticize another developer's product because we all do this for fun and because Dave March is excellent programmer, but what makes FS2Crew different is that it's customized from scratch to work with the nuances of the PMDG 747, and be 100 percent 747 specific (FS2Crew 747 was designed in consultation with a current 744 FO). FS2Crew's angle is that one size does not fit all, and if you want detail, then doing custom ad-hoc editions is the only way to go.A lot of people want the extreme detail, so that's why we're here.The other benefit of FS2Crew is that we're the only co-pilot program that can get the FO to slip switches on the overhead and many of the other panels.These functions are not accessible via offsets, so we use a unique simulated mouse click system to do the job.Cheers,Bryan

Guest Mower

Hey Bryan thanx for the quick response...Looks interesting...will have to further investigate as I am a serious devotee of the PMDG 744X.Cheers.

Guest Mower

Okay just bought it and it looks interesting. Certainly cannot complain about the reasonable price either.

Guest c17

I have similar questions regarding these 2 programs. Unfortunately I have posted my question in the FSX thread. I have also posted my question in the correct FS9 PMDG area.Anyhow, from the web sites it is unclear to me if either of these programs allow the F/O to respond to my voice or do they both require you to select (or click) a button to play the recorded patter between the Capt and F/O. I was hoping I could wear a head set and announce the commands (e.g Flap 20 or Gear Up) and the virtual F/O would actually do and announce. Would also like to modify the F/O calls on PMDG to be my company specific calls. What program would you recommend? I am a current B744 Captain and would like to take PMDG to that next level of a true multi crew simulation if possible.Any feedback by anyone who actually has a working virtual F/O would be most appreciated. p.s. Sorry, I posted this under the PMDG FSX thread and not the FS 9 thread as I am using FS 9 (if this makes any difference)

Hi,FS2Crew doesn't do voice, and neither does FDC I believe.There are a few other co-pilots programs that do voice, such as Chatter and a couple others.The big thing to watch out for is the integration with the PMDG 747.Most co-pilot programs work well with the default aircraft, but not well with the high-end 3rd party stuff.FS2Crew, however, takes steps to work around that traditional limitation.Cheers,Bryan

Guest c17

Thanks for your reply Bryan.I have heard that someone has used an old program called game commander. Do you know if this will integrate with your program? Have you tried Chatter? Do you know of any voice recognition that would work? I enjoyed the sample video of engine start and push back, but the default procedures are quite different to my companies and I felt a little like a check airman monitoring the whole process. I would prefer to be part of the normal cockpit interchange between Captain and F/O, instead of just listening to pre-recorded Captain commands.Finally, can I change the PMDG and FS2Crew, F/O responses to be company specific (e.g. altimeter calls, responses in general)? Can FS2Crew change the GPWS callouts to be company specific (specifically Rad Alt callouts)?Many thanks,Wayne

Hello Wayne,FS2Crew is scripted, and our procedures are modeled on a 747 operator in the Asia-Pacific region.You could change the responses in theory, but it would involve manually editing wav files and re-recording using your own voice. FS2Crew does not change GPWS callouts.There are no voice or other programs that do what you want I'm afraid.As mentioned, the big thing is integration; they can't read or even move switch and buttons.So, for example, you could talk into your mic and say: "Start Engine 1". But the FO would be unable to press any buttons on the plane. So you'd need to do the job for him, which defeats the purpose.If you were dealing with the default planes, this is not an issue. But with the high end 3rd party planes that use "custom" code, it's an issue.Cheers,Bryan

Guest c17

Thanks Bryan,Was worth the ask. I researched the Cockpit Chatter program, however it only works with FS X (I am still using FS 9 as the computer I am using does not have enough resources). I also suspect (as you pointed out), that Cockpit Chatter probably only works with the default Microsoft aircraft. Anyhow, thanks for your time and reply. I think I may have to continue doing both roles.Sincerely,Wayne

I bought both programs...In my own opinion: Fs2CREw is generaly better for the usual simmer (like me), becouse it is done specific for the PMDG product.I used several times FDClivecokpit it is also a great add on, but requires more knowledge to set up an airplane like the PMDG 747.My opinion is that Fs2CREW is more inmersive and "handmade"