Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Welcome!

Welcome to the unofficial IFly forum. Folks were looking for a place to correspond about the complex and very well done IFly aircraft add-on's and here you go. Hopefully, the IFly team will help out by jumping in and assisting when able. Enjoy the forum!

Hi Tom,Thanks very much for setting up this forum. I had beenthinking about sending a note to the editors asking howto set up a forum. Is there any way to "import" the thread that had beengoing? We still had unanswered questions. Should I justrepost everything?Thanks again,dan davison

Guest Beeline

Delighted to finally find a forum for IFly. I had been also been looking around for a way to suggest this on Avsim but didn't get very far. Let's hope this helps create an IFly community.

Guest MIKELYLE

;) ;) ;)Hi allIts good find a forum for the iFLY A/C.I hope it will be well supported as I myself think the iFLY 747 is brilliant. I am struggeling a bit with the FMC but it is slowly coming to me.One question on the FMC:- What is the best method and the best web site to use to up date the data base. iFLY got back to me with the following:-"We use the same AIRAC as pmdg,except SID/STAR. The newest AIRAC support NDB frequence more than 1000.0, but our plane can't read that frequence, So backup the old AIRAC before update." If any body has any info I would be very pleased to hear.Regards MIKE LYLE"a total convert to the iFLY 747"

Hi,Go to www.planepath.com, select "Terminal Procedures", the select "iFly" (it's usually at the bottom of thie ilst.Be sure to follow Terry's directions carefully and exactly.First, back up your previous navdata, I just rename the navdata to navdata.Next, follow Terry's directions to install the latest cycle.You may need to edit the NDB section to remove anything that has four digits on the left. There aren't many. You can edit the file with any text editor, but do not save it in any format other than '.txt', i.e. not as a MS Word or OpenOffice document.The SID/STAR data & directory will be ignored.dan

Guest MIKELYLE

Hi DanThanks for your reply I will do as you suggest.I will probably be a regular visitor to this forum as the FMC is proving to be a bit involved allthough iFLY have produced a great user manual (330 pages) it seems to be more for the very experienced.Still I will have to persevere, and get some help from this forum ??Regards Mike Lyle"Got no money but got a hanger full of Aircraft"

Guest MIKELYLE

Hi againDan could you just elaborate on the following(("You may need to edit the NDB section to remove anything that has four digits on the left. There aren't many. You can edit the file with any text editor, but do not save it in any format other than '.txt', i.e. not as a MS Word or OpenOffice document."))I am not sure which section in the file is the NDB section and I dont want to mess it up as every thing looks as though it has worked.If you could just clarify it would be great.Sorry for being a painRegards MIKE LYLE

Hi Mike,Not to worry. You're not being a bother, you're being introduced into the wonderful world of the 747 FMC. Personally, I've gone from "it's my enemy all the time" to "it's my enemy if ATC changes routing in the last fifty miles". The PMDG and iFLY FMC both auto-tune VORs and ADFs, as I believe the real-world 747 FMC does. You can watch the tuned VORs change at the bottom of the ND display, especially during takeoff and climb, and descent & crash, I mean descent and landing if ATC leaves you alone. The auto-tuned ADFs are on the "NAV RAD" or "NAV RADIO" button. The frequencies are usually in the 2xx.x to 3xx.x range, at least along the areas I tend to "fly". My vague understanding is that some new frequencies in the 1xxx.x range have begun use since last fall.If the PMDG 747 FMC has come across a 1xxx.x ADF, it hasn't caused any problems. The iFLY 747 FMC doesn't emulate the real-world B747 FMC quite as closely as the PMDG. I think what the developers were saying is that if their sim auto-tunes a 1xxx.x ADF, the navigation radios will go bye-bye, and possibly crash the sim. I will do some testing over the next few days and try to fly though an area with 1xxx.x ADF beacon. You're right to be cautious about the editing. I'm sure you know the drill - make a backup of the file, make a copy of the file and edit the copy, put the copy in as navdata, and cross your fingers. I am not on the computer with FSX at the moment. I'll take a look and post a reply. Since I use four different FMCs - PMDG, iFLY, FriendlyPanels, and Abacus - I don't want to work from memory on this. I goofed up one edit and would up having to painfully re-install the iFLY. Re-installing also means doing some registry editing, and that is not something done trivially. If I can work up a script to "automagically" do the editing, I will. dan

Guest MIKELYLE

Hi Dan Thanks for all your interest I am very grateful.I tried the update to the NAV DATA things didnt go to well, mind you that is probably my lousy flying. I still have to get used to the FMC.I am following a vidio tuition on UTUBE but it is for the PMDG it is a bit different but it is giving me a lot of basic knowledge.I dont suppose it will all come so quickly still I have got plenty of time. I am going to do the update again in case I made a mistake??? Do I have to take the original NAVDATA out first or does it get over written??Regards mikep.s. I have kept a back up :-scatter

Hi Mike,Until my power supply smoked and took my motherboard, CPU, and graphics card with it, I wsa testing the iFLY terminal procedures.First, I looked over all the data and there's nothing to worry about in this cycle.Next, (and remember I'm doing this from memory, the desktop machine is dead), when I installed the iFLY procedures I was off by one level. I chose Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator XiFlynavdata as the installation path when I should have left off the "navdata". So, since you have the original data backed up, rename any...Flight Simulator XiFlynavdata directories, and move the original distributed navdata back to its correct location. If you're not sure where that is, just use Add/Remove Programs (Start>Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs to remove iFly completely and re-install. It's much simpler and faster than trying to fix a goofed-up directory structure.Re-install iFly, then install the new data from Terry right over top of the existing navdata directory. Any updated files will overwrite old files. Any old files that have not been updated will still be available. That's what I did. I then did a flight KORD-KJFK. I first used the MS FSX Flight Planner, then used that route into the FMC. The flight went well, I was able to do a CATIII (LAND3 autoland), and taxi to the gate. As I was shutting down, following the checklist. there was a pop from y 5-year-old machine and the "magic smoke" started coming out of the case. Display blanked and end of computer. So it goes.I'm using a borrowed laptop, but I'll still be looking in on avsim. Let us know how it goes.Best,

Guest MIKELYLE

Hi DanI feel terrible I must not have said that I am using FS 9 century of flight. I hope I have not wasted a lot of your time.I am going to do the update to-nite.I will let you know how it goes. I will E MAIL you if you dont mind save filling the forum with chat.regards mikeps sorry about the computer prob.

Hi Mike,OK, on to email it is. Yes, FS9 makes a difference in locations. It's also a different download at the AVSIM Library. Make sure you're downloading the FS9 version...the filenames are very very close.dan