Sign in to follow this  
lensman

Does your iFly 744 FSX "hunt" for altitude?

Hi all,When the 744 reaches cruise altitude, most of the timeit "hunts" +/-300 ft from the MCP- or FMC- commandedaltitude. This is FSX Deluxe, SP1, latest iFly download. I've tried- real-world weather- completely clear weather- FL190 to FL330 in 10,000 ft steps- 250-320 KIAS in 10 KIAS steps- with and without spoilers- 1/4 speed to 8X speed (simulation rate)Once it starts, changing FL, KIAS, flaps, spoilers, andsimulation rate doesn't seem to help. One other potential clue: sometimes the up-and-down (pitch?)starts immediately on reaching cruise FL, other times onlyon a FLCH during ATC-commanded approach. Possibly related: on a descent to VGZR (Zia Intl, Dhakar)the ATC-commanded descent from FL210 to FL020, at 250 KIAS,I reset the FL on the MCP, hit FLCH, and instead of holdingspeed while descending, the plane just drops like a stone.The initial part of the descent is OK, but it never levelsoff at 2000 ft, and just speeds up to over 500KIAS and hitsthe ground. ECON DES is correct, KIAS and FL on the LEGS pageare set appropriately. The autopilot and autothrust are onand do not shut off. Sometimes if I catch it at FL010 I canwrestle the aircraft into level flight but I doubt any of thepassengers are still alive and the wings probably havebroken off. Any help on these problems would be welcome!Thanks,dan "lensman" davisonP.S. I realize this is probably a PEBKAC, so please be gentle!p.p.s For old-time software support techs, that'sProblem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Hello Dan,Wish I could help you but I'm still trying to get her off the ground. Have you considered this could be a weight and balance issue? Regards,Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Hi Dave,Happy New Year, and keep your head down!>Have you considered this could be a weight and balance issue? Duhh. No. When flying a 744 that is nearly or fully loadedI automatically set the rudder trim at 6 units if the FMCshows the COG to be 21-26%. I will check the FSX payload and fuel diagram now as part of preflight. >Wish I could help you but I'm still trying to get her off the>ground. If you posted, I either missed it or slept through it(*). Isthere anything we (i.e. this forum) can help with? The learningcurve is brutal, and I had to really closely read the entire manual multiple times. If one blinks while going over a check-list, the aircraft can be left in an unflyable condition.My nemesis while learning was the power and hydraulic panels(left side of the overhead). I either had no drive generatorsor no hydraulic pressure on one engine. Then I'd turn off theAPU or external power and everything would go dark & away wouldgo several hours of work.Oddly enough, except for forgetting things like COG, I nowhave the logic or rhythm or something like that down andcan get the thing started and taxiiing (note I didn't say flying!) in about 15 minutes. Of course, that took about9 months.Let us know if there's anything we can help with, keep yourhead down over there, and have a safe, and very safe, 2008.dan "lensman" davison(*) A heart attack on top of lung disease gives me lots of time to read. So it goes.

Guest SkullxBones

If you are trying to start from cold and dark then there are some problems with this version. When you first install the 747, you can get all engines running, but even then it takes some coaxing. After the first try, it changes the autosave.RTE file in the IFLY directory and I have not been able to restart properly from then on. So I saved an original version of autosave.RTE and each time I want to try a cold and dark, I reload it. I have emailed the authors and they are aware of the problems and said they are going to change it in the next version.

>If you are trying to start from cold and dark then there are>some problems with this version. When you first install the>747, you can get all engines running, but even then it takes>some coaxing. Yes, it sure does. I always start from "cold and dark" if I can.If I remember correctly, the Boeing manualsays not to run the starters for more than 10 minutes, and it took much longer.>After the first try, it changes the autosave.RTE file in the>IFLY directory and I have not been able to restart properly>from then on. So I saved an original version of autosave.RTE>and each time I want to try a cold and dark, I reload it. Is there a copy of the original autosave.RTE in the iFlyfolder(s) or do I need to download the whole package again?>I have emailed the authors and they are aware of the problems>and said they are going to change it in the next version.I think I'll email them and let them know about this forum.Thanks!dan