Sign in to follow this  
mverlin

Insufficient Fuel Error Message

I've run into a problem that prevents me from getting this simulation to function. At the point where I get to the PERF INIT routine, after entering ZFW, Reserves and Cost Index, I receive two error messages: INSUFFICIENT FUEL and MAX ALTNNNN. Fuel load is correct and agress with the load in the tanks. Cruise altitude is in accordance with the flight plan. I would appreciate any assistance.Michael Verlin

Hi Michael,>At the point where I get to the PERF>INIT routine, after entering ZFW, Reserves and Cost Index, I>receive two error messages: INSUFFICIENT FUEL and MAX ALTNNNN.> Fuel load is correct and agress with the load in the tanks.> Cruise altitude is in accordance with the flight plan. I would> appreciate any assistance.I've had this happen a few times. The fuel message almost always is an error in the route. You can check this quickly by going to the PROG page and making sure your route is not 12,000 or (in one case) 250,000 miles long. In my experience, this happens with VORs - same name, wrong hemisphere. There are lots of ways make subtle errors in the flight plan. If you check the LEGS pages and step through, you will probably find one leg that is extremely long. The MAX ALTNNNN error I've only seen a few times, and it's always been because the total route length was much longer than the fuel capacity of the jet. The iFly FMC is checking that the weight of the fuel + everything else will allow you to reach the cruise altitude & still have the range required.If you've stepped through the LEGS pages and you're sure you're not flying from Boston to LA through Hong Kong, you should report the problem to the developers by email. They apparently don't read or don't have access to this forum.If you do find a bug, please let us know on this forum, and I'll add it to the running list I keep. If I had the faintest idea how to set up a wiki I'd start one but I don't think my ISP allows such.Good luck,dan davison

Thanks for the information. I'll do some digging and report back.I'm using FSBuild as my flight planner, as it exports plans in multiple formats, including iFLY.Michael Verlin

OK, I'm back with further information.This represents a genuine bug.The route had no problem legs, and the altitude at FL330 should not have been an issue.The fuel load, ZFW and payload were unaltered from the aircraft.cfg file.The FMC does not recognize any payload reductions. I altered the payload, but the CDU would not accept the decreased ZFW. The EICAS display still shows the fuel load in Kg, despite my having specified pounds.This is really a shame. This looks like a quality product. I'll have to save my spare change for the PMDG package if these issues can't be fixed.Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Hi,>The EICAS display still shows the fuel load in Kg, despite my>having specified pounds.Hmm. I haven't seen this before. Did you add new AIRAC data, or are you using the old data supplied in the download from AVSIM? I've had very bad luck with updating the AIRAC data. (I usually grab the latest file from http://www.planepath.com). Page 208 in the manual implies that the ZFW has to be entered before the Gross weight and the Fuel weight. I'll check this later this evening, but I'm pretty sure ZFW has to be entered first. This drove me to distraction when I first started using the iFly.Another mild-but-annoying bug is that I *never* have seen the virtual cabin, in any of the virtual cockpit/virtual cabin versions. You may want to send your note to the developers - they occasionally (are able to) reply to email. dan

I believe I have solved the problem.The error lies in the documentation. Entering the ZFW, Fuel Reserves, Cost Index and Cruise Altitude does not belong in the Before Start Procedure. It should be in the After Start Procedure.After running into the usual roadblock, just for grins, I went ahead and started the engines. To my surprise, the INIT data, previously entered into the CDU had vanished! I simply reentered the data, but this time got NO error messages.So there matters stand. I will continue testing but this appears to be the sticking point.Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Well, it seems I spoke too soon! The problem has returned with a vengeance. I have spent about 4 days trying to chase this down, with nothing to show for my efforts. I have had enough. I've backed up all my files in the remote event that I actually receive useful help from the developers whom I have contacted.I'm going to take the files off my system, and when I can put the funds together I will purchase the PMDG 744.I appreciate your help. Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Hi Mike,Yes, bleah. I spent several hours on the bugs you mentioned and:1) Can't change the EICAS display to pounds2) Can't change the ZFW despite the statement on p. 208 and umm, adjusting the XML.3) MAX ALTNNNN still appears on the FMC message area randomly.4) No virtual cabin>I'm going to take the files off my system, and when I can put>the funds together I will purchase the PMDG 744.Don't forget to remove the registry entries. I use "ccleaner" because it saves the registry entries it removes to a file. I also set a system restore point before I edit the registry. "Helpful" cats sometimes walk on keyboards at inconvenient times. On the other hand, most of what you've learned from the iFly will transfer over easily to the PMDG 747X. When you can do a cold and dark start without lighting on the overhead you know you've *really* been putting in a lot of time on the sim!Best wishes,dan

1) Can't change the EICAS display to pounds2) Can't change the ZFW despite the statement on p. 208 and umm, adjusting the XML.3) MAX ALTNNNN still appears on the FMC message area randomly.4) No virtual cabin
For people only now reading this:I've run into bugs 2 & 3, and have found the following:Bug 2 sorted itself out after uninstalling and the reinstalling the base package + service pack 3.With SP3 bug 3 does not appear to be a bug, it shows up when the initial cruise altitude is not equal to the optimum altitude (which can be found on VNAV page 2 of the CDU.I still get Insufficient fuel messages after perf init, but these disappear after displaying the PROG page and verifying that there is fuel remaining at the destination.When starting from Cold & Dark, I do find the following annoyances:A) Unable to set initial altitude & heading on MCP in Before start checklist: This can only be done after start.:( Unable to change set speed on MCP to V2 or V2+10. Fix: After start, select SPD mode on MCP and then change. This "unsticks" the speed bug.C) If the IRS align timer gets to 0 before POS INIT is performed, the timer will roll over to a silly number after POS INIT. Fix: perform POS INIT immediatly after setting the IRS units to NAV.For the rest, I've been doing some long haul flights (Amsterdam - Singapore) and when flying with an FSBuild generated route I've had no real problems. When flying in VNAV of FLCH mode the plane does have trouble reaching optimum cruise altitude, but that can easily be fixed by selecting VSPD mode for the last 1000 ft or so up to altitude. All in all, despite all the reported problems, this is a VERY nice piece of freeware... I've flown worse payware aircraft than this! Just be sure to install SP3 ONLY on top of a clean installation, and if you run into problems with the checklists, try the problem step after start, that almost always clears up the problem.

Guest Major Pilot
Hi Mike,Yes, bleah. I spent several hours on the bugs you mentioned and:1) Can't change the EICAS display to pounds
Dan,When you change the fuel to lbs in the FMC the units do change, but the kgs marker is an image not an acutal units reading. You are in lbs not kgs. There is an issue though with the fuel load between the CDU fuel load and the fuel page, the loads do not match. I told iFly about this issue but no reply. Here is the issue which bugs meThe 2 fuel values do not match.the display on the right displays the correct value of 372.0 x 1000lbs (although it has a kgs label which can be ignored as the value in the FMC was set to the U.S. system) while the display on the left displays a value of 381.6 x 1000lbs, a value in error of 9,600lbs of fuel or 1,422 U.S. Gallons.when all of the values on the left display for the fuel are added up they total 381.7x1000. But I also noticed the stab tank value was reading almost double the actual amount. when the values of 115.0 + (84.1 x 2) + (8.9 x 2) + (29.3 x 2) +22.1 = 381.7 but if you reduce the last value (22.1) which is the stab tank value to the actual value of 12.0 x 1000lbs it is accurate within 500lbs of fuel or 77 U.S. Gallons which is acceptable due to rounding that the left display does.
2) Can't change the ZFW despite the statement on p. 208 and umm, adjusting the XML.
Would you mind telling me how you modify the xml because the gauge is in .gau format.Thanks