Sign in to follow this  
Guest Beeline

FMC won't find VORs, NDBs

Guest Beeline

This forum has been pretty quiet for a few months, but I would really like an answer to this question, if anyone has one. When I'm entering a new flight plan I cannot enter a VOR or NDB - I get a message saying it's not found in the database. I have checked the navaid database and all the VORs and NDBs are there. This is an intermittent problem because I have entered plenty of FPs in the past. Wish I could figure out what is causing the problem. Using FS9 by the way.

>>This forum has been pretty quiet for a few months, but I would>really like an answer to this question, if anyone has one.>When I'm entering a new flight plan I cannot enter a VOR or>NDB - I get a message saying it's not found in the database. I>have checked the navaid database and all the VORs and NDBs are>there. This is an intermittent problem because I have entered>plenty of FPs in the past. Wish I could figure out what is>causing the problem. Using FS9 by the way.Hi Beeline,I run FSX but have had the same problems. 1) are you regularly downloading Terry's planepath dot com airac db for iFly? a) Are you positive it's getting in the right directory? I regularly wind up with it a subdirectory and have to move everything up :-( :( I'm usually able to skip over a missing waypoint or navaid. When entering the navaid, are you finding blocks of them missing or is it just one? c) when you enter the navaid, do you enter the airway first? I've found that the FMC is picky and I have to enter the airway2. Have you checked the mavaid using the "Fixes" key? 3) For airac 0801, terry had to republish the db as 0801a. What version are you using?4) Are you able to enter a waypoint for one flight, then for the next (but on the same airac cycle) you enter it and it's not there? When that happens to me, I re-install the airac dbI think that covers most of the mistakes I've made with entering routes in the FMC. Oh - when you install a new airac, do you overwrite the existing airiac? Or do you remove the existing airac completely and install the new one? If the latter, you will definitely see waypoints come and go. Overwriting is the recommended way to install and update. See Terry's instructions in his releases (which does not mean I completely follow what he's saying, I just do it).Hope at least some of this helps,

Guest Beeline

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am downloading the planepath stuff, but that only provides terminal procedures for a few select countries, and my understanding is that it is the AIRAC from Navdata that updates the global navaid database. (I am using 0804/5 currently.) I have found that if I load a SID from the ArrDep screen then it allows me to add whatever other waypoints I want after that. But the "SID" consists of a single waypoint instead of a series of waypoints and headings. I usually end up flying the SID by hand until I can set the LNAV for that first waypoint on the plan. The database is in the right place. As I said, fixes and airports are not a problem, NDBs and VORs often are. I always try to enter the airway first; it doesn't always accept it. The fixes screen also does not find the same waypoints. However if I enter a VOR frequency on the radio screen, it will find it no problem. I get a strong feeling the problem is not the waypoint database itself which seems to be fine (I overwrite it when installing), but the way the FMC accesses it.And another thing... almost every time I rotate with the Ifly plane, the nosewheel crashes back down to hit the runway and I have to hit the trim repeatedly to get off the ground. I always make sure I wait for the calculated VR and then some, flaps 10. It's very irritating. I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

Guest bri_kumar

Hi.I had the exact same problem you described recently when I updated my iFly Nav database. I was using the free 0609 cycle after which I joined Navigraph and downloaded the latest 0809 cycle. As soon as I installed it, all the NavAids (VORs) disappeared...even though they were in the wpNavAID.txt file.The problem is that the more recent cycles contain NDBs with frequencies greater than 1000.00 Khz. There are about 50-100 such NDBs which must be removed because the iFly FMC cannot read such entries. If you install a cycle with such NDBs, the FMC ignores the entire wpNavAID.txt file but still reads the other files with routes, airports, etc. This is why only your VORs disappeared.I solved this problem very easily in about 15-20 minutes by removing all NDBs with frequencies greater than 1000.00 Khz from the wpNavAID.txt file. There are not too many. With the edited file, everything is back to normal and I can use the entire 0809 cycle including VORs. If you want, I can mail you the edited wpNavAID.txt file with all NDBs above 1000 khz removed for cycle 0809. Just back up your previous wpNavAID file and install this one in your iFly navdata folder. That will solve your problem.You can mail me at bri_kumar@yahoo.co.inRegards,Bri

Guest Beeline

Hey, Bri, that's brilliant. How did you ever work that out and why hasn't this been publicized before? I'm sure I've been through all the forums.I will email you for the edited text file.Thanks againClive

Bri,Thanks very much! I tried doing that but must have missed some. I will also contact you by email. Perhaps you should let Terry at planepath.com know about the changes.Best wishes,dan davison

Guest bri_kumar

Hi guys.I knew there had to be something wrong with the NavAID file ONLY since the FMC was able to read airways, fixes, and airports. I had once read in a forum that the iFly 747 cannot read NDB frequencies above 1000 kHz and that these NDBs were recent additions. That's how it struck me.I'll surely email you guys with the edited file...if anyone else needs it, feel free to ask. Just for your future reference, I'll let you know how to edit the file. Take for example the 0809 wpNavAID.txt file. You might be wondering how to find those specific NDBs in such a huge file!It's quite simple. I'll illustrate with an example. There is a NDB named MIKHAYLOVSKY which is identified as MH. Just open the wpNavAID file and hit CTRL + F to find it. You'll notice that the last digits in the line are the frequency followed by a "N" for NDB. This is true for all the NDBs. Now almost all NDBs have five digits for their frequency....that is...XXX.XX. But any frequency above 1000 will have four digits before the decimal...XXXX.XX. As a result, the last "N" will pop out by one character after the last column of the file. You can use MIKHAYLOVSKY as an example and notice that the "N" sticks out one character after the previous entry which is CLN or the Clacton VOR near London.This way, you can scroll down the entire file and look for these "N"s which pop out! All the NDB's which need to be removed are so easy to find that way!But don't worry..if you're feeling lazy about doing this boring 20 minute exercise, I'll email you the file!!With best wishes,Bri