Sign in to follow this  

Out of memory error?

I have a P4 2.4GHz with 1.5G of DDR memory. (I just added an additional 512) Now I get a "Flight Simulator doesn't have enough memory to start and will now end" error almost everytime I start FS2002. HUH? It WILL ramdomly start but mostly no joy. I'm running XP Pro which shows 1.3G memory available. When it does start... it's runs beautifully. No other problems with any other program. Any ideas?

Guest Markyboy

I had a similar problem with another game (Championship Manager) when I installed another 512MB of RAM taking me to 1024MB. According to the publishers (Eidos) this was a compatability issue with XP and systems with more than 512MB of RAM. They also went on to describe that Microsoft were obliged to provide backward compatabilty and had withdrawn their patch to fix it. The only way to fix this problem then was to remove any RAM over 512MB.Flight sim was written pre XP and win98 didn't like more than 512MB of RAM unless you alter the vcache. The problem you describe is exactly the same and I don't reckon there will be any other fix for it other than what Eidos recommended for Champ Manager and that is to remove 512MB of RAM. I searched the windows knowlegde base to see if it were possible to alter the amount of RAM windows uses like you could in 98 but found nothing. Either take it back and if you cant get your money then consider exchanging it for some other kind of upgrade (video maybe) or keep hold of it for a rainy day.There is nothing around at the moment that needs 1.5GHz of RAM and it will not make any difference to your sim to "only" have 1GHz. To be honest I am not even sure I noticed any difference between having 512 and having 1 Gig on an almost identical system to yours. Each to their own I suppose. Hope you get a fix,Markyboy.

Chas,Your da man! You nailed the problem completely. No more errors. Thank you very much.