Sign in to follow this  
Gumps

MD-11 - I Wonder Where My ATC Window Went?

HiI'm new to the FS2Crew world, but very impressed with this product which is coupled so well with PMDG's outstanding MD-11. I'm using WidevieW with multiple CPU's and monitors.I've noticed that the FSX ATC window, the dialog box one uses to tune and 'talk', sort of disappears after running FS2Crew. I have a joystick button mapped to the"`" key, and normally open and close the dialog box as needed.When I press that button, or the key on the keyboard, the window appears momentarily (just flashes on screen) and then disappears. Holding the button will cause the dialog box to flicker on and off, but it always stays off.I tried remapping to a different key on the keyboard, and it behaves the same way. I have some more testing to do to try to figure this out, but figured I'd pulse you folks in case someone else has seen this.I wonder about the maximum number of windows limit referred to in the documentation...could this be an explanation?Any thoughts?Noel W

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Hi BryanIn answer to your question, no, I don't believe so. The ATC window was OK when I first loaded the flight, but by the time I tried to get my clearance, it was acting up.I'll get more details later when I get home from work. Perhaps I can at least narrow down the behavior. I've initially been suspicious of the window restriction I read about. Almost sounds logical that the last window opening might get locked out. I could be all wet here of course.Thank you for you interest in the matter. I'll have more info soon.Best Regards,Noel W in Brisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Hi Noel,When you call for the Before Start flow, FS2Crew will send a signal to the pushback tug to come connect to the aircraft.However, due to the (weird) way FSX works, in order to get the tug to stay connected to the aircraft, I had to fire the key toggle pushback event 18 times a second (two at a time).I suspect this is what is causing the interference with the ATC window.Try this:After pushback, disconnect the Start Crew, and see if your ATC window works again.Cheers,Bryan

BryanI just got through isolating the event and figured I'd give you the evidence...and just read your latest note. You are spot on...and...using the "Disconnect" button restores the ATC window!I noted that it happens when I'm running the "Before Start Flow" (as you noted) - I hear the F.O. say "Beacon On", and then what sounds like someone knocking on the door. I was wondering what that was. From your note I gather that the noise is the connecting of the towbar.In any event, you've solved the mystery and provided a solution so I"m a happy camper.Thank you very much!Noel W

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Hi Noel,Yes, I figured it was the pushback tug and me firing the pushback command 18 times a second to get the tug to stay coupled to the nosewheel.Let's hope MS makes the pushback tug better in FS11 so I don't have to resort to more tricks in order to get the thing to behave properly.Cheers,Bryan