Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Shalomar

Two C130X issues

I was flying from KSEA to Deadhorse Alaska and I noticed that my aircraft was not drawing fuel from the auxillary tanks. I know I had all crossfeeds open and boost pumps on, except for the externals which I wasn't carrying.My #3 engine failed from fuel exhaustion when both auxilary tanks were full. My number two tank emptied first cuz I had had the APU running for about an hour before takeoff. If I remember correctly, that engine failed right after the #2 tank emptied.I diverted to CYDA from a GPS direct course and did more praying than looking at fuel guages from that point on. After landing I saw that some fuel had been drawn from the right auxillary tank. So I could have kept going on three engines for a while. All other tanks were empty on landing.The issue is that I had fuel starvation with over 12000 pounds on board. What is really perplexing is that the #3 engine failed when the #2 tank went dry.Has anyone experieced this, or is this replicable? To make a long story short, the first problem is no fuel is drawn from the left auxillary tank.The second problem is that my changes in ACES are no longer reflected in the sim. I reduce fuel, and the changes are still there when I go back, but in the sim I have 100% fuel. Also payload is stuck at 56000 pounds... Not good for Lukla. The configuration tool worked the first few times I changed settings, but then it got stuck. Any ideas?Thanx in advance...:-beerchugDonald T.:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

DonaldToo bad the CS Forum is down for this question. I did a lot of testing to find the answer to this one and had a very detailed set of messages over there about the fuel issue. I'll try to condense it as best as I can.....Fuel Gauges:Fuel Gauge #1 = Engine #1Fuel Gauge #2 = Engine #3Fuel Gauge #3 and #4 = Engine#4There is no fuel gauge for Engine #2Fuel Tanks:Fuel Gauge #1 = Left Tip TankFuel Gauge #2 = Center Tank #3Fuel Gauge #3 and #4 = Right Tip TankThere is no fuel gauge showing the fuel in Center Tank #2 which is also Engine #2.1. You can't use fuel from the Aux or External tanks as long as there is any fuel in the Main tanks. This is not how it works IRL but it's the way the CS C-130 works. 2. As long as there is any fuel in the Main tanks you also can't use any form of crossfeed. My work around for this until CS can come up with a real fix is to edit the aircraft.cfg file. Change the fuel amounts in the tanks as follows in the fuel section:External1= -0.75, -25.49, -7.03, 1400.00, 10 // EXT Left LeftAux= -0.75, -25.49, -2.03, 910.00, 9 // Aux Left LeftTip= 0.00, -16.86, -2.09, 1295.00, 10 // Tank 1 Center2= 13.64, 0.00, -4.19, 1295.00, 10 // Tank 2 Center3= -20.95, 0.00, -4.19, 1295.00, 10 // Tank 3 RightTip= 0.00, 16.86, -2.09, 1295.00, 10 // Tank 4 RightAux= -0.75, 25.49, -2.03, 910.00, 9 // Aux RightExternal2= -0.75, 25.49, -7.03, 1400.00, 10 // Ext RightYou'll still have the same total amount of fuel in the C-130 but it will be distributed a little differently between the Tip and Center tanks. What will happen now is that all you have to do is to wait for the fuel in the Main tanks to drop below "1" indicated on the gauges. Once they are at that point you can kick in the Aux and or the Externals. The Aux and Externals will still not use any fuel until the Main tanks are dry but what won't happen anymore is the loss of an engine from fuel starvation. They will transfer over automatically. Once your up and running on the Aux and Externals you can use the fuel crossfeed system any any fashion you like and it works great.It's been a while since I thought about this. Hope I didn't forget anything.FAC257

Thanx for the detailed testing, still studying your reply.Now that I know what I know now I realise I could have restarted engine #3 after the rest of the mains went dry.One point that still puzzles me is that it seemed I had the same amount of fuel in the left auxillary as when I started. So all four engines were drawing from the right auxillary at the end of my flight. I guess I have to go back to the manual to make sure I am not crossfeeding wrong by having all crossfeeds open.Thanx...:-beerchugDonald T.FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.