Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike T

Captainsim has release 757 v4.0 for FSX.

Errrr, yeah. I'd be interested if anyone has taken the plunge, if they have fixed all the bugs in the FS9 version or do they carry over to FSX?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, yesterday, I took the plunge and bought the this new release online from the Capt Sim sight. The download and install process went uneventful. I had no problem activating online during the install process. One note, I never did receive an email confirmation from captsim so make sure you take a screen print of your order confirmation screen on the web because you will need that order number to activate during the install process.I have made one flight with the bird and my inital impressions are mixed. I loaded a flight starting from KMCO (default scenery) to KATL using the supplied Delta livery. The bird loaded almost into an initial cold and dark configuration. All the swithes where in the correct position for C&D but the plane loaded with the engines running. I simply shut them down. I did notice that the spar valve light remained on for the left engine and this would cause engine start problems later. The preflight process of bringing the bird live went well. The IRS aligned pretty quick and I didn't see any option of setting the align time as in other addons of this nature.Frames did not seem low for my rig (I am using Vista-32 with FSX) as initially loaded at the gate. I had ASX running and there was a low ceiling with thundershowers and frames stayed at an acceptable level through taxi, takeoff and climbout.The FMC setup was pretty straight forward and worked as one would expect (I am a long time LDS 767 user). Engine start proved a bit troublesome. The right engine started normally but the left one would not kick off. I ended up having to use the CNTL-E key to light it off. Takeoff was pretty normal but I began to see what would appear to be a problem with VNAV operation. VNAV would level out at the MCP altitude without problem but when you went to resume a climb with a new MCP altitude, the bird took about 15-20 seconds to respond to the climb request through VNAV. Not sure if flight level change mode would incur the same problem as I did try that mode out.During the cruise portion of the flight, I went into the VC mode and began panning around the cockpit. After a couple cycles of panning around, the machine locked up tighter than a drumb. No FS crash, no blue screen, just an entire system lockup. I was forced to do a hard reboot. Didnot have time to resume that test at that point so that is my experience to date. I am going to hopefully have some more flight time tonight.I have been awaiting the arrival of the LDS 757 but wondering if it will ever arrive so I thought I would try this bird out in the meantime. Price is a bit steep at 60 euro (I guess about 90 USD) for the Pro Pack. Hope the days of 80 cent euros comes back sometime :)Jerry Lauderbaugh

I also took the plunge and purchased yesterday.Also received no email confirmation and also no manuals. The manuals aren't available through the website either, they currently say unavailable awaiting update.Loaded up fine, although not in C & D state. Everything worked fine through startup, taxi and take off including setting up the FMC.I have flown three flights so far and have encountered two main problems. I like to do the cruise at x4 time as it's pretty uneventful. It struggles to hold the heading and altitude at anything over x1, it ended up getting very eratic and going around in circles.Other problem was I couldn't get it to do an autoland. Tried setting ILS from FMC and also putting in manually.Would capture the localiser on the LOC but then not decend following the APP. Not sure if this is a fault though or something I am doing wrong. Not having a manual doesn't help.Other than those two problems everything else seemed fine to me. I also had good frame rates throughout on addon sceneries for Stansted & Glasgow.Matt

The only issue I have right now is I can't get the weather radar to work! Once I turn on the the PWR button FSX CTD's. Other than that it looks prettu good, haven't got to complete a flight yet (Not the addons issue) I plan to do a complete flight tonight. Except for the WxRadar, so far so good.

Ok I just completed my first hop, a short one from EGLL to LFPG. Pretty much the flight was uneventful. Systems basically worked, with these exceptions. Weather radar as stated above. Tried to put a tcket in on this but their trouble reporting ticket system seems to be down, getting SQL errors), Where is no GPWS altitude callouts, (Or atleast I haven't figured out how to activate them. The plane autolands ok, different then the LDS or PMDG in that the 3 CMD's won't become active until the Land3 lights come on, not when the Appr is activated. Also it's not as smooth as the LDS or PMDG, touch down is a little higher VSI then the LDS/PMDG. Other then that the flight went pretty well!!

"The only issue I have right now is I can't get the weather radar to work! Once I turn on the the PWR button FSX CTD's."Do NOT touch the weather radar PWR button! I had a CTD too when I tried to power it on. The Event Viewer stated "faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module Captain_Sim.b757.fms.GAU, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4852813b, exception code 0xc00000005, fault offset 0x0012d7a, process id 0x55c, application start time 0x01c8d58e2658e035." According to a Google search, "Exception code 0xc00000005" is a memory management problem or DEP that they say occurred because of bad coding of the software (or something like that). I had a great flight going from LAX to SFO when I decided to push the weather radar PWR button. Crash! Microsoft collected info on the crash and I assume they forwarded the problem to the Captain Sim techs to resolve. The only other problem I found so far is that I noticed there is no checklist(s) on the kneeboard but I guess I can make up one by extracting the info from the manual (what do you want for $93? A checklist too? lol). It would have been nice to have had the manuals installed along with the software instead of going on-line and signing into my account and getting the manuals (except the User Manual which they say is being updated). Glad to see this "unofficial" forum. Thanks AVSIM!Best regards,Jim

It appears they are using the FSWXR2100 weather gauge from Add On Gauges (AOG) which from what I read is a FS2004 gauge. AOG is now defunct, according to a post by the developer, stopped selling because he had no time to support it. So being that CS says this is a free licensed bonus (A 12.95 value) how they got permission to include it in their package, especially since based on a request for support from an FS9 user, they are directing to AOG's site for support, which is nothing more than a directory of their files?

"Do NOT touch the weather radar PWR button! I had a CTD too when I tried to power it on."I just wanted to post that I no longer have the problem getting the weather radar to work. Touch the power button in VC mode at your own risk though! I had to go into the 2D panel, click on RDR, and power it on then return to the VC. I tried turning it on using the switch between the pilots seats in VC 3 times and still got a CTD but not in 2D mode. One of the things that helped me to get this working was to delete all the gauges, etc., in the "Trusted" section of the FSX.cfg and let them rebuild when I select an aircraft. I had a lot of duplicate entries in the Trusted section of the FSX.cfg and maybe that had something to do with my problem but doubt it. In my case, I believe I cannot engage the radar in VC mode due to internal memory management problems. FSX runs excellent with outstanding graphics and FPS the way my system is configured now so I'm not going to mess with memory management issues just because of a power switch.Best regards,JimSystem Specs:Dell XPS 720H2C w/Intel Core2 Extreme CPU X6800 (O/C to 3.73GHz); NVIDIA 680i SLI Motherboard; dual 8800 GTX video cards w/768 MB memory each; Dell 3007WFP LCD Monitor; 1 KW Power Supply; 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz; Vista32 OS w/SP1; FSX w/SP2 and Acceleration