Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jha38

Problems with CaptainSim - Help Please

I purchased the C-130 base pack for FSX from CaptainSim. The download and install went without a hitch. However, when I attempted to load the aircraft from the "Select Aircraft" menu into FSX my computer crashes, i.e., the "blue screen of death." I went to CaptainSim's Web site and completely filled out a "trouble ticket" reporting the problem. When they replied I was informed "You have not provided all required information on your system. .... we need all details on EACH issue and we do not process incomplete reports."I went back to their Web site and completed another trouble ticket and asked them to inform me what "required information" was needed to address the issue. In response I got another e-mail which was a duplicate of the first. Note: the original trouble ticket had been deleted from their "Support" site. I returned once again to their Web site, fully completed another trouble ticket, and once again requested that they provide me with information regarding the needed "required information." That was three days ago. I've received no response and at this point don't expect to receive anything other than the "canned" response they apparently make to all support/service requests.Therefore, since CaptainSim apparently has no intention of actually supporting the products they sell, I'm left to rely on the expertise of my fellow simmers in resolving the issue. FYI, I have over 100 aircraft, with variations, in my FSX "hanger" and this is the only one that causes my computer to crash.System specs: Dell XPS dual core, 1.86 HGz processor, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon X 1950 XTX 512 MB video card with latest (6-18) drivers installed, 320 GB hard drive with 172 GB free. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer in resolving the problem.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That plane crashed my system HARD and would not even reboot.I later found out "in my case" it was the creative labs xfi sound card driver that was the problem.I updated the driver but still afraid to reinstall the plane.I also emailed them but the reply I received was basically the canned" its your system and not our problem."There are some postings about it so do a search here and also google it.If you do not have a creative labs card, I cannot help you.Good Luck.

jha38,Captain Sim has had some website problems probably related to an update, so you could try again. Too bad their forum is not online yet.I am really enjoying my C-130 X and I can tell you its worth fighting for. I had some troubles at first related to my Creative sound card, but that is solved now.Hope it works out for you.

I think you've isolated the problem. I do have the Creative Labs X-Fi sound card. I've installed the latest drivers I could find, but alas, the computer still crashes. I'll do some more searching for a solution now that I have a direction. BTW, CaptainSim did eventually respond to my last trouble ticket. There response was to say that they'ed already answered the question and the ticket was canceled. Great "support" huh?

Would you care to share with me how you solved your Creative Labs sound card troubles? Thanks.

FWIW, I had a CTD this evening with the CS757. I went into my Event Viewer and found out what happened. I don't know if there's a fix or not but Microsoft collected information and they will pass it on to Captain Sim. The Application Error stated "faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module Captain_Sim.b757.fms.GAU, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4852813b, exception code 0xc00000005, fault offset 0x0012d7a, process id 0x55c, application start time 0x01c8d58e2658e035." I may or may not contact Captain Sim support with this problem but will probably wait to see if I can duplicate it. So, in my case, I was able to determine the CTD was a result of a Captain Sim gauge, the flight management system gauge. This is the type of proof Captain Sim would need to prove it's the fault of their software and not your computer system. So check out your Event Viewer and look for the date and time your CTD occurred and see if there's a entry for your crash. That info will help Captain Sim Techs as well as us in determining the probable cause of your crash. If there was no event recorded, then it could have been a system fault. I think most FSX crashes are a result of bad memory management. With this Event Viewer info, I can do some further research on the Internet. For instance, I did a Google search of "exception code 0xc00000005" and found that many others have had similar crashes and it means I had a "memory access violation" or "DEP". My research goes on to state " this can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software..." Wow! That's anything and everything!!! LOL Sound card drivers could definitely be a cause too because, if not installed properly or installed completely, your system will have difficulties managing the hardware. It actually is kind of fun researching and trying to find the cause of my ills! Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Jha38,There was an update to my XFi sound card driver, but eventually I reinstalled FSX and C-130 X, then no more problems.