Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest firehawk44

Autoland/AP

Are you have problems getting the autoland (3 green) to work or the AP? I believe I have found the solution. After several attempts to autoland, it never worked. I read about making sure your avionics switch is on; starting up with the Cessna 172 and making sure the avionics switch is on; make sure the IRS is on and properly aligned; etc., etc., etc. None of those "solutions" worked. The avionics switch was on and working, and the IRS was in NAV mode and properly aligned. I tried landing using the CDU ILS programming, and manually entered the ILS frequency into Nav1. No joy and extremely frustrating as I was reading posts from others who stated they had absolutely no problems getting 3 greens everytime and everywhere. One post told a frustrated individual to make sure NAV mode was turned on. I knew there was a GPS/NAV switch on the panel for small jets and propeller aircraft to capture a flight plan but didn't figure that was used for large aircraft since there's no switch like that on large airliners. I mean, I've flown the LDS767 and the PMDG 747 several times programming the CDU/FMC and have had no problems capturing the glideslope and getting "3 green". But in the CS757, the CDU does have a page for GPS Navigation. It's hidden and it must be turned on. To turn it on, open up the CDU, select the Progress (PROG) button, then on the bottom select Position Reference and goto Page 3/4 where you can turn NAV on or off (see pages 35/36 for full explanation of this in the FMC Manual). I believe it's OFF by default. You don't need to make sure it's on before takeoff, just make sure it's on before you attempt a landing. Turning it on worked for me and it was nice to see the glideslope being captured, then 3 green, and a smooth and uneventful landing. Hope this helps anyone else who may be having problems autolanding or getting your 757 to capture the glideslope.Jim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Please disregard my above post. I just tried another flight using the method I posted above and no joy. Apologize for any confusion I may have caused. I am deleting the CS757...Ciao,Jim

Hi Jim,I briefly read your post. I assume that you know that tuning either NAV 1 or 2 to the ILS frequency will not help you with either the B75 or B76. Both aircraft have a dedicated ILS/LOC receiver which is located at the rear of the comm panel. Also, you must enter not only the ILS/LOC fequency, but also the front course of the approach as well. I have tried this several times and have not had a problem, although the Land3 indication only comes on when the GS is intercepted (comes on when the LOC is intercepted in the LDS product, but which is right or wrong I don't know). I hope that you get this working as this bird has a beautiful auto-land. I also read where you are trying to get a GPS nav working but don't understand what you are trying to do.Good luck. The CS bird is no PMDG or LDS product, but both of those are light years from anything else available for FSX. I would rank the CS B752 alongside any Feelthere product. Not perfect, but very enjoyable if you can live with the inaccuracies and imperfections.Bruce.

Thanks Bruce for your comments. I thought entering the ILS runway into the FMC would be all that's required (plus making sure there's no discontinuity in the legs/route pages). Entering the ILS (Nav 1 and Nav 2) frequency manually seems to be going backwards in technology. As I mentioned in my first post, I did get the autoland/3 green/AP to work but recall now that occurred because I entered the ILS (NAV 1 and NAV 2) frequency manually. However, I did enter them manually again and no joy so how I did it the first time is a mystery. I have no problems with the 767 or 747... I consider myself to be very knowledgeable of the workings of the CDU/FMC but, of course, I'm always finding new things. Because this is a major challenge to get this aircraft to fly properly, I will continue to read and try to figure out the correct procedures. I love challenges as long as I know there's a solution and, based on the fact you have gotten your CS757 aircraft to fly successfully, I know there's a solution. Thanks again for your comments and assistance.Best regards,Jim

Hi Jim,You're very welocme. The B75 and 76 are really quite old technology, and the B75 represented by the CS product looks like it is an older version of avionics that the LDS B76. In the LDS, there is an option that enables an auto-tune of the ILS based on the approach that you enter in the ARR/DEP page. I don't believe that option is offered in the CS model, and I'm not sure if this is a lack of realism in the CS product, or if that particular model of B75 did not have it.So- to enable the ILS to be tuned, first you must disregard the NAV 1 and 2 radios which have their tuning done by knobs on the MCP panel in front of your eyes. These are ONLY for VORs, and should not be able to be tuned to an ILS frequency at all. The only way to tune the ILS radio is to look aft on the comm pedestal, where you will see a frequency tuner and a course dial. Any other methods may not work. You must also have the frequency to tune to, and the front course of the approach.Let me know if you need anything else.Bruce.

Hi Bruce,Thanks again for your help! It is greatly appreciated and I hope it's helping others with the AP/Autoland function too. I just ran another flight from LAX to SFO, landing on RW28L. I got the 3 AP's to light up plus 3 Green Autoland to work. Yeah! In the center isle (AFT Aisle Stand), I entered the ILS for 28L (109.55) and the course heading (283). Autoland didn't show up until I got to 1500 feet (which is what it states in the manual). That's cutting it kind of close IMHO. I also programmed the CDU showing arrival at RW28L w/trans at Faith. If I had not entered the ILS and course heading manually, the AP and autoland would not have worked but it still would have followed the LNAV course. Disregard everything I said about making sure the GPS/NAV page in the CDU is turned on. It has NO effect as I switched it on and off after I got 3 green and there was no changes to the AP. So to get the AP/Autoland to function properly, make sure:-- IRS is properly aligned and the IRS Display Selector is set to PPOS-- Properly program the CDU to include completing the arrival page for the runway you want to land on.-- Program the ILS selector in the center panel for the proper ILS frequency for the runway you want and the course heading for the runway.-- Hit the AP switch (I turn mind on when I begin descent)-- Set the Autobrakes and Arm the Speedbrake leverThanks again Bruce for your help.Best regards,Jim

No worries Jim. Glad that you got it to work.Bruce.