Sign in to follow this  
Lseatflyr

Md-11 Abs Autobrake Problem

Hi All,I'm experiencing the non-existant MD-11 autobrake anomaly, and I was hoping that perhaps I could add to the knowledge base relating to this problem. Also, a lot of you guys know a lot more about FSX, Windows, and complex add-ons than I do, so maybe this might inspire some new ideas...The MD-11 is the only PMDG aircraft I've ever had any problems with (don't read that with a negative tone - really I'm absolutely in love with this airplane. It's a work of art... and science...), but it's also the only PMDG plane I've ever run in FSX, and in Vista. I have the Level-D 767 in FSX and it's working just fine. However, I haven't tried the MD-11 yet without the Level-D installed - think that might be something to try? Certainly complex add-ons have the capability of conflicting with each other...I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the MD-11 though. I have CH Products ProPedals, but I kinda think that the autobrake anomaly is unrelated. The ABS isn't disengaging until I actually depress my pedals to apply my own braking. Even so, I've tried the FSUIPC Axis control, and used the RAW setting. The only thing I haven't done yet is physically unplug my pedals and disassociate any axes in FSX and try a landing. (Waiting on this, as my computer is housed deep in the bowels of a corner desk - getting to the back requires some disassembly) (Yeah, I know... I've learned my lesson, I promise - the next desk will allow easy access to the actual computer)I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I've turned off User Account Control in case it was blocking some communication of files or something. As I learn more and more about Vista, I'm finding that there are a lot of programs that have 32-bit/64-bit issues - perhaps this is similar somehow?Another jewel I found in a forum search was to check the FSX Failures menu for failed left brake and failed right brake. Sure enough! For some strange and unknown reason (I've never even been in that menu before) both boxes were checked! Still didn't solve the problem, but it sure would have compounded my confusion after I actually got the autobrakes to work (display the little FSX Brakes annunciation) and still get no stopping action.Reading the MD-11 FCOM, PMDG sequenced the approach actions with gear coming down first, then arming brakes and spoilers. I tried that too to see if it made a difference, and that time I even armed the brakes using the 2d panel. Still didn't make a difference. I also always set it to MIN, but I tried a MED and a MAX with no change in the anomaly.Tried an autoland - no joy.What's got me perplexed (and worried) is that so few people apparently have this problem. So it makes me wonder if maybe I've got some FSX setting wrong or something - like something that is interrupting hydraulics to the brakes (no; the parking brakes work fine) or the communication of the autobrake gauge with FSX or something along those lines. (The autobrake setting is annunciated on the EAD though, and it's set state is successfully calculated into configuration warnings and stuff)Things I can think of that I haven't tried yet (But will one-by-one in the next flights):- Switching to High Decel Rate- Uninstalling my only other add-on aircraft- Installing PMDG's Vista utility- Trying a third reinstall, in case I got *really* unlucky and got an installation problem twice.- Physically unplugging the hardware pedals (Meh)Thanks to everyone who actually read this far through my long-winded post!(And to everyone, PMDG and Fanbase alike, who've always been a huge help to everyone else by posting their problems and discussing their solutions over the years)Tony FioreVeteran Forum Lurker

I have Vista64 but no landing autobrake problems. Am I correct thinking your problem is autobrakes activate but provide nil braking?How are the brakes when you taxi? From a 20kt taxi, the brakes should stop you in less than 1 1/2 plane lengths (I use top down view to test). If this is working properly, try using mid or high autobrake settings. I find the min setting to be rather timid.Hope this helps

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,Correct - Autobrakes are "armed," confirmed by the EAD, but I've never actually seen them apply braking action to the aircraft. Manual braking works fine, haven't ever had problems taxiing. Also, it's manual braking that is keeping me from running off the end of the runway during landing (which properly disengages the ABS when applied, by the way). I'll do your effectiveness test and see what happens. I added a small null zone (Via CH Products Control Manager) before departure on the flight I'm flying right now (Air France Cargo operated by World Airways LFPG-HLLM), and also ran the PMDG Vista Utility just for good measure.I haven't edited out the FSX brakes indications that you get on the lower left of the screen, so I get the little white over red parking brakes, differential brakes, and brakes message from FSX. The MD-11 autobrakes application triggers that FSX "brakes" indication, doesn't it?Tony

I don't recall ever seeing the BRAKES in the lower left during autobraking. It might be there but haven't noticed, regardless there should be plenty of stopping power if you use med to high setting instead of low setting for autobrakes. Also, if normal braking works then odds are autobrake works unless it was disabled. Don't count on the BRAKES annunciation. Note I have no experience with differential braking.

Dan Downs KCRP

Okay, enabled the High Decel option in the PMDG Menu. I'll go idle reverse and autobrakes MAX just to see what happens. HLLM has an 11000' runway with an 820' stopway on the other side, should be plenty of room for the experiment. I'll go flaps 50 just in case.Currently bridging the gap between Tunis and Palermo on UM732, will be in Mitiga in about an hour....wouldn't that be embarrassing if there really was no problem at all...! :) Oh well, all in the name of learning I guess.Tony

Okay, just landed at HLLM. High Decel chosen in the PMDG Menu. Autobrakes MAX. Approach speed 151, flaps 50, idle reverse....rolled all the way to the end of runway 29, 11000' long, where I had to apply some manual braking to slow to 9'ish kts to take the 90 degree turnoff at the end.So that was the PMDG Vista utility checked off my list, High Deceleration Option checked off my list, a null zone added to the hardware pedal configuration, and another attempt at MAX - still didn't produce any brake effect. The taxi test - when I do the equivalent of standing on the brakes at a 20kt taxi, thrust idle, I can stop in what's closer to .5x to 1x the length of the airplane.Tony

Try disabling the custom settings in FSUIPC4 by moving the FSUIPC4.ini to another place while testing, it may be a messed up calibration on a brake axis. If you ever see brakes in the lower left corner when you aren't physically pressing the toe brakes then you definitely have a problem as auto brakes don't show any such annunciation.

Cheers, Andy.

Ahh, so the MD-11's Autobrakes don't trigger the FSX "Brakes" annunciation in the lower left corner? I don't get that annunciation at any time except when I physically apply brakes with the pedals. The pedals really don't seem like they're the problem. Brakes are applied when I press the pedals, brakes are released when I don't press the pedals. I'll shut down the sim, relocate the FSUIPC4.ini, and fly the next leg of AFR6578 down to Bangui without it. Actually, I'd really like to ensure that all FSUIPC calibrations are removed, because the CH Products software works just fine for me. I'll tinker with it.-Tony

Guest SkullxBones

My autobrakes work fine and I always see the red BRAKES message in the lower left corner.Jeff P.

Okay, just landed back at HLLM after realizing that FSX real weather is completely unusable without FSUIPC to smooth things over. :) I oversped like crazy after climbing through a significant wind layer. So, I learned how to dump fuel, dumped over the desert south of Tripoli (very cool visual effects!!) until gross weight was 430k, and headed back to Mitiga. Autobrakes armed to MAX for landing on 29, confirmed by "AUTO BRAKE MAX" in blue on the EAD, but still rolled all the way to the end. No braking action, no FSX Brake indication on the lower left until manually applying brakes near the end of the runway.Getting fairly confident that it isn't hardware interference.I'll try getting rid of my other add-on, the 767, next.-Tony

Dunno, I never had this problem, but it may be a "relatively" quick way to narrow down your problems if you guys were to Remove FSUIPC altogether from the modules, including .ini files, and remove all assciations with any joy stick and rudder pedals. Start that baby up on the ground. Slew her to a long finals and set everything up for an autobrake landing. If it fails, you have effectivle ruled out both seperately or in combo.Just my 2 beans....

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Everything Tony has stated is consistent with me too. I have had this problem w/ auto brakes since release of MD-11. I just assumed there was another addon installed that causing the problem nor did I care because this AC is awesome. I am using CH pedals and CH yoke. Fresh install of FSX SP2 yesterday with fresh MD-11 installed (unistalled first) Running on VistaSP1, Q6600 @ 3.2, 4GB PC6400 ram, nvidia 9600GT. Manual braking works great, I disconnected the pedals on short final........still no brakes applied by auto. I also installed the Queen after the MD-11 and her auto brake is fine. I have the red brakes in lower left of screen after touchdown.Willy PS Still really enjoying the MD-11 with or without auto brake. Best FSX addon to date IMO

Guest swanrunner

I just had this occur too after uninstalling both the 747 and Md11 due to other problems. When I reinstalled the Md11 autobrakes did not work because my spoilers were not deploying on touch down even though both were armed. On my next approach I waited until short final with gear and full flaps and then armed brakes and spoilers. Both worked fine with this senerio although I used to be able to arm them well ahead of the approach and they would still work. Hopefully the Md11 update will fix alot of these issues. It is by far the best addon out there despite minor issues. My Wilco 737 has been mothballed since I acquired my PMDG aircraft. John KSEAHp Intel Q6600 2.4ghz 6g ram GeForce 9600GT 512k Vista 64 Saitek Yoke and throttles.

Sceenies in order - last one is my favoriteWilly,Slick this:If you don't tell here your intentions: By programming the FMS for instance (Set LDG Altitude)Why would you expect her to perform to your needs?Please repeat this 'favorite' sequence here, without the displayed Level 1 alert.Regards,Harry