Sign in to follow this  

Windows XP Home and FS2002

I don't know which to credit more... Windows XP or FS2K2, but I am running all the same programs you are plus a few more and have not had a SINGLE crash in almost a year with XP. The most stable platform that MS has ever created. I'm sure you'll like it.Jeff Evans

I second Mr Evans, there. I built a machine 2 years ago with WinME and it crashed quite a bit...throw in FS2k2 and I had a regular BSOD fest.I built my current machine last summer and went with XP Home. It has never crashed and I run all kind of crazy stuff on it. FS2k2 works like a champ on this very stable platform. I run FSD aircraft and RC3 and wxRE. BTW, my machine is on 24/7.The only advice I will give is shut down all the un-necessary services that you can. Check this link out for advice. Lots of good info that I personally go by.Good luck and good flying!Bradley Dykes

Same here. The only "problems" I've had have been related to the graphics drivers for my GeForce 2 Ti card, which doesn't like some sets. Currantly I'm using the 43.00 set which give good results.I've yet to take the plunge and install the WinXP SP1, but you may get this as standard if yours is a new PC.Alastair

Guest ba747heavy

Thanks for that link!! I have been looking for something like that for a long time! I haven't had really any problems with my XP box either. On 24.7, yadda yadda. Only thing is, BootVis won't run, it crashes after every 2 or 3 reboots in a 5 reboot cycle. And DAP and GetRight like to crash, not sure why. The only thing I can think of is that I switched from Noron AV and Norton Firewall to McAfee Firewall and McAfee AV.XP is great, the best offering out there for W$ users.

Guest kilo_sierra17

The only time my XP restarts is when I do drivers or Win updates thats it! XP is really amazing.

Guest rmce

JP.OK. XP is brilliant.However, it did cause my FS2K to crash and had to be re-installed. It did however allow re-installation with saved aircraft etc.Problem started with SP1 upgrade. I have a 2.4 HP Pentium 4 and prior to sp1 upgrade it was running FS2 as smooth as anything I have ever seen. Problem may be to do with my machine and some other makes as well.Its the virtual drive problem, and MS not supplying CD disks of XP OS.So when you upgrade you are changing config of machine and this has to be communicated to the virtual drive where all the orginal stuff is held.On the HP this was a problem. I needed a fix from HP and then it worked.So, it may cause you probs, if so, let me know and I will tell you chapter and verse what happened.To be fair, when I re-installed, it was amazing to see that each boot up seemed to get better and better, so obviously XP learns as it goes!Wish you luck!rmceScotland

Guest moomox

The only thing I would suggest is making sure you get all your video card and DirectX updates. This always makes a noticable improvement. XP has been extremely stable for me, so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.Also make sure you get all the lates and greatest autogen trees, night lights, clouds etc etc. Make your experience as real as it gets.

Guest DanWalloch

I'm running WinXP professional and I'm just loving it......with my P4 2.4Ghz and 512MB PC2700, I've got all the resources I need and then some, and some more and even more..........gotta love XP or 98.

Thanks for all the info guys, I look foward to trying out XP.JP

Guest Hugo

It seams there is a concensus here in regard of the HOME version. Would the same apply for the PRO version. I'm still on Win98. Any advises? If and when I switch, I would do it from scratch. Reformat etc. and probably replace the GeF 2MX with GeF4 Ti by the same token. Any comments?Tanks,Hugo

Guest ba747heavy

Hugo,There is little difference between home and pro. Get what you can afford, basically.EDIT: I didn't say enough, more followsHome edition is more intended to be a stand alone machine, ie not on a network. Now, not to say that it can't, but it appears to lack some of the tools that make being a network admin easier(ie remote desktop).With Pro, you get some additional Windows Components, like Internet Information Service(PLEASE, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong on this and Home edition has this as well) which is Microsofts FTP, Mail, and Web server. Something I would image that you don't need. :DBeyond that, Home really is all you need. I doubt your going to be a net admin, and or run a server.Hope that helps.

Guest Hugo

Thanks for the reply Fred. I then may just go for the Home version according to what you suggested. But if I understood you well, FS2K2 would perform equaly well on both versions.Hugo

Guest ba747heavy

Hugo --That would be my recommendation. Home has all you need, and runs FS just as well as Pro.

I HAVE WINDOWS XP HOME AND ALL FS2K2 SLIDERS AT MAXWITH NO PROBLEM SAM707