Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFortress

Fsx Crashes When Overclocked Beyond 3.8ghz

Guest SuperFortress

I can successfully run FSX at 3.8GHZ however any time I go beyond 3.8Ghz FSX will crash. I just tried running at 3.94Ghz and got a crash with the following results:Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module nvd3dum.dll, version 7.15.11.8048, time stamp 0x491b7aed, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x001effb6, process id 0xd78, application start time 0x01c9526ee1dd6def.Any ideas on how to remedy this? Thank you.

Probably because you are pushing your system too far, every overclocked system has different limits, and will throw up different errors when it eaches those limits. I'm no expert but I'd hazard a guess that as the crash you are getting is related to an nVidia component, the graphics card or the OS is having difficulties at such a high overclock. Is your PCI-e bus being overclocked? How about your memory?Have you stress-tested your system as you apply each overclock to find a known stable limit you can reach without errors or crashes? If not, thats where to start. Also look into the PCI-e and memory bus speeds beyond 3.8GHz, and critically, the CPU temperature. Find the max CPU temperature for your processor from the manufacturer specifications and monitor it when overclocking to make sure you dont get near or over it. If you do and you want to overclock at that speed, you'll need much better cooling.

Guest Jeffhew
I can successfully run FSX at 3.8GHZ however any time I go beyond 3.8Ghz FSX will crash. I just tried running at 3.94Ghz and got a crash with the following results:Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module nvd3dum.dll, version 7.15.11.8048, time stamp 0x491b7aed, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x001effb6, process id 0xd78, application start time 0x01c9526ee1dd6def.Any ideas on how to remedy this? Thank you.
I have a similar problem with FS9. If I push beyond 3.925 GHz, FS crashes pretty quickly. My solution was just to run at a little over 3.8 GHz. I'm pretty happy with performance where it's at but, knowing why it happens would be nice. Just curious, is your situation that everything but Flight Sim runs great up around 4GHz? I know with my system, I can get up to about 4.1GHz with absolutely no problem. Temps, RAM, GPU all run great.I think Trelane uses a e8600 cpu and, IIRC, gets beyond 4GHz without issue. Sorry I don't have the answer.Best Regards,Jeff

Guest SuperFortress
I have a similar problem with FS9. If I push beyond 3.925 GHz, FS crashes pretty quickly. My solution was just to run at a little over 3.8 GHz. I'm pretty happy with performance where it's at but, knowing why it happens would be nice. Just curious, is your situation that everything but Flight Sim runs great up around 4GHz? I know with my system, I can get up to about 4.1GHz with absolutely no problem. Temps, RAM, GPU all run great.I think Trelane uses a e8600 cpu and, IIRC, gets beyond 4GHz without issue. Sorry I don't have the answer.Best Regards,Jeff
That's exactly the problem. I can run my system pretty nicely at even 4Ghz but for some reason the only software that does not get along with the overclocking is FSX.

That's exactly the problem. I can run my system pretty nicely at even 4Ghz but for some reason the only software that does not get along with the overclocking is FSX.
Try running OCCT Custom MIX and/or Prime95 Blend test for at least 4 hours. If it fails, your clock is not stable in relationship to the CPU and memory working together. Individua tests may succed but the combined tests may fail. FSX stresses the memory subsystem quite a bit and my guess is that you'll find your problem there.Check this thread to see what I went thru to resolve it.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1225569427Good luck! :)Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest SuperFortress
Probably because you are pushing your system too far, every overclocked system has different limits, and will throw up different errors when it eaches those limits. I'm no expert but I'd hazard a guess that as the crash you are getting is related to an nVidia component, the graphics card or the OS is having difficulties at such a high overclock. Is your PCI-e bus being overclocked? How about your memory?Have you stress-tested your system as you apply each overclock to find a known stable limit you can reach without errors or crashes? If not, thats where to start. Also look into the PCI-e and memory bus speeds beyond 3.8GHz, and critically, the CPU temperature. Find the max CPU temperature for your processor from the manufacturer specifications and monitor it when overclocking to make sure you dont get near or over it. If you do and you want to overclock at that speed, you'll need much better cooling.
I ran the Prime torture test overnight and that was ok however the OCCT test reported that the CPU was too hot after about a minute. That's kind of odd since Realtemp never reported the CPU goin over 54C

Guest Jeffhew
Try running OCCT Custom MIX and/or Prime95 Blend test for at least 4 hours. If it fails, your clock is not stable in relationship to the CPU and memory working together. Individua tests may succed but the combined tests may fail. FSX stresses the memory subsystem quite a bit and my guess is that you'll find your problem there.Check this thread to see what I went thru to resolve it.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1225569427Good luck! :)Vic
Thanks for that link Vic. It made for some good reading. Nick has helped me out alot too. It was nice to witness the birth of a new "guru". I'm pretty sure I'll never reach that distinction. :(The only mistake I made in building my current system was not going with the DDR-3 MB. Right now, I'm not sure I would want to go through everything for a .225 GHZ boost though. I'm running a 450MHz FSB at 8.5 now and my system is extremely stable. I'm guessing that my current BIOS is likely the issue though I'm not certain of that. If and when I decide to take the plunge into flashing my BIOS, I may give the 9 multiplier a try again, to see if FS will run @ 4.05 GHz. Best Regards,Jeff

Prime95 and OCCT will not tax your system in the manner that FSX will. Just because you can run Prime95 or OCCT for what appears to be a stable clock, its no guarantee that your system will be stable when running FSX.

I find Orthos to be a good indicator as to whether I will have problems in FSX. Usually if I fail Orthos within the first half hour, I will not be able to run FSX without it crashing.

Guest SuperFortress
Prime95 and OCCT will not tax your system in the manner that FSX will. Just because you can run Prime95 or OCCT for what appears to be a stable clock, its no guarantee that your system will be stable when running FSX.
What would you recommend as a better test? Thank you.

Guest SuperFortress
I find Orthos to be a good indicator as to whether I will have problems in FSX. Usually if I fail Orthos within the first half hour, I will not be able to run FSX without it crashing.
I just ran the Orthos test and it crashed after about a minute so I guess there is some kind of problem but how do I proceed from this point? Thank you.

I just ran the Orthos test and it crashed after about a minute so I guess there is some kind of problem but how do I proceed from this point? Thank you.
It usually means you have reached the limits of your CPU and or RAM. You can try to fine tune things like upping voltages, and changing other Bios settings. If you check out Nick N's posts, you will find a lot of good advise in how to proceed in this area.I used to have an E6850 on an Asus P5Q pro motherboard, and could only get it to run stable at 3.4 Ghz, no matter what I did. Sometimes you just get a dud chip.Bill

Guest SuperFortress
It usually means you have reached the limits of your CPU and or RAM. You can try to fine tune things like upping voltages, and changing other Bios settings. If you check out Nick N's posts, you will find a lot of good advise in how to proceed in this area.I used to have an E6850 on an Asus P5Q pro motherboard, and could only get it to run stable at 3.4 Ghz, no matter what I did. Sometimes you just get a dud chip.Bill
Would you happen to have specific links for those posts? Thank you.

Guest ziporama
Would you happen to have specific links for those posts? Thank you.
I would recommend you do a search using the keyword overclocking in this forum. However, you may find more generic, and better suited to your particular hardware, articles by doing an internet search on the keyword overclock guide.You must pass Prime95 and Orthos running on multi-cores reliably to avoid issues in FSX - or most intense titles. You can quit after about 30 minutes of the torture tests. I found on my rig that overclocking a single core wasn't entirely difficult and passed most tests easily. Getting all 4 cores to be stable was a completely different story, and FSX will use 3 near 100% from what I can tell.Good luck, and don't burn that CPU up :)PS: I had FSX running at 5.1GHz for about 30 minutes before I got cold feet and tuned it down to 4GHz on a QX9650 on H2O, +30% FPS average all things being equal. :)

Guest Guest_Paulyg123_*

Can you report the difference in over-clocking in terms of FPS. I have a Dell 720H2C liquid cooled quad core at 3 ghz. I over-clocked it to 3.47 and want to push it to 3.7. I never noticed the difference in FPS's and want to know if it really worth it.Paul