Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFortress

Fsx Crashes When Overclocked Beyond 3.8ghz

I just ran the Orthos test and it crashed after about a minute so I guess there is some kind of problem but how do I proceed from this point? Thank you.
First and foremost, what temperature did OCCT report when it crashed? What cooling are you running?Your overclock is definitely not stable but chances are there's a setting or two (or ten) that need to be changed in your BIOS to fix this (assuming your system isn't over-heating).Can you tell us what your voltage settings are in your BIOS? Also need to know your FSB and RAM clocks and timings.

Guest SuperFortress
First and foremost, what temperature did OCCT report when it crashed? What cooling are you running?Your overclock is definitely not stable but chances are there's a setting or two (or ten) that need to be changed in your BIOS to fix this (assuming your system isn't over-heating).Can you tell us what your voltage settings are in your BIOS? Also need to know your FSB and RAM clocks and timings.
I dont remember the temperature that OCCT reported. I'm using stock cooling which I know is not the greatest. I'm definitely going to upgrade that soon. The following shows my BIOS settings when I am trying to achieve 4Ghz. Thank you for your assistance.MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT)Robust Graphics Booster...........:AUTOCPU Clock Ratio...................:9XCPU Frequency.....................:4.00Ghz (422x9.5)CPU Host Clock Control............:ENABLEDCPU Host Frequency(Mhz)...........:422PCI Express Frequency (Mhz).......:100C.I.A.2...........................:DISABLEDPerformance Enhance...............:STANDARDSystem Memory Multiplier (SPD)....:2.66DMemory Frequency(Mhz).............:1125DRAM Timing Selectable ...........:MANUALStandard Timing ControlCAS Latency Time (tCL)............:5DRAM RAS# to CAS# (tRCD).........:5DRAM RAS# Precharge (tRP).........:5Precharge Delay (tRAS)............:18Advanced Timing ControlACT to ACT Delay(tRRD)............:AUTORank Write to READ Delay (tWTR)...:AUTOWrite To Precharge Delay (tWR)....:AUTORefresh to ACT Delay (tRFC).......: AUTORead To Precharge Delay (tRTP)....: AUTOStatic tREAD Value (tRD)..........:AUTOStatic tREAD Phase Adj............: AUTOCommand Rate (CMD)................:AUTOClock Driving and Skew ControlCPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control...:800MvCPU Clock Skew Control............: NORMAL(G)MCH Clock Skew Control.........: NORMALSystem Voltage ControlDDR2 OverVoltage Control...:NORMALPCI-E OverVoltage Control.,.:+.10VFSB OverVoltage Control......:+.10v(G)MCH OverVoltage Control,:+.025CPU GTLREF1 Voltage*.......:AUTOCPU GTLREF2 Voltage*.......:NORMALLoadline Calibration..............:AUTOCPU Voltage Control...............:1.38125vNormal CPU Vcore..................:1.22500VAdvanced Bios FeaturesLimit CPUID Max to 3..............:DISABLEDNo-Execute Memory Protect.........:ENABLEDCPU Enhanced Halt(CIE)............:DISABLEDCPU Thermal Monitor 2.............:DISABLEDCPU EIST Function.................:DISABLEDVirtuaalization Technology........: DISABLED

I dont remember the temperature that OCCT reported. I'm using stock cooling which I know is not the greatest. I'm definitely going to upgrade that soon. The following shows my BIOS settings when I am trying to achieve 4Ghz. Thank you for your assistance.
Stock cooling is not even remotely sufficient for the overclocking goal you have in mind. My E8400 reaches over 60 degrees C in OCCT with overkill case cooling and a mammoth heatsink with two 120mm fans on full blast. Given these facts I would say your CPU is likely overheating.Also, the setting "FSB over-voltage control" should be left alone or adjusted DOWNWARD for 45nm CPUs. I was stuck at 3.6GHz on my Gigabyte P35 board until I figured this one out. Now I can run 4GHz all day long no sweat.There's also a good chance you have to adjust your MCH voltage upwards. I need to run mine at 1.4V for the FSB/memory speed I run, you should be able to get away with a +.2 setting for 1.3V though. Looks like you're only running 1.125V on the MCH right now as you have a +.025 setting.

Guest SuperFortress
Stock cooling is not even remotely sufficient for the overclocking goal you have in mind. My E8400 reaches over 60 degrees C in OCCT with overkill case cooling and a mammoth heatsink with two 120mm fans on full blast. Given these facts I would say your CPU is likely overheating.Also, the setting "FSB over-voltage control" should be left alone or adjusted DOWNWARD for 45nm CPUs. I was stuck at 3.6GHz on my Gigabyte P35 board until I figured this one out. Now I can run 4GHz all day long no sweat.There's also a good chance you have to adjust your MCH voltage upwards. I need to run mine at 1.4V for the FSB/memory speed I run, you should be able to get away with a +.2 setting for 1.3V though. Looks like you're only running 1.125V on the MCH right now as you have a +.025 setting.
Thank you. What sort of cooling would you recommend?

Guest Jeffhew
Would you happen to have specific links for those posts? Thank you.
In addition to Nick's posts, you may want to take a look at the Xtreme systems forum here:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.phpThere is alot of system specific information that may help you out with oc'ing your rig.Like TechGuy said though, stock cooling isn't going to get it done when it comes to pushing these systems.Best Regards,Jeff

Thank you. What sort of cooling would you recommend?
I linked to the cooler I'm using in my previous post. Keep in mind it comes with one fan, and I run a second fan for additional cooling so your results may vary. Otherwise Coolermaster's new V8 looks like a great cooler. Then there's the ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 aka TRUE 120 which seems to be the unofficial heatsink of choice for overclocking. Both should be available at Newegg. Keep in mind these are gigantic heatsinks that may not fit every system, so it would be wise to check the dimensions of each and compare to your system. Also be aware the TRUE 120 usually does not come with a fan, so you'll need a 120mm (or two).
In addition to Nick's posts, you may want to take a look at the Xtreme systems forum here:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.phpThere is alot of system specific information that may help you out with oc'ing your rig.Like TechGuy said though, stock cooling isn't going to get it done when it comes to pushing these systems.Best Regards,Jeff
I'll second the recommendation to check out XS. First place I go when I need more o/c'ing info.

Guest SuperFortress
I linked to the cooler I'm using in my previous post. Keep in mind it comes with one fan, and I run a second fan for additional cooling so your results may vary. Otherwise Coolermaster's new V8 looks like a great cooler. Then there's the ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 aka TRUE 120 which seems to be the unofficial heatsink of choice for overclocking. Both should be available at Newegg. Keep in mind these are gigantic heatsinks that may not fit every system, so it would be wise to check the dimensions of each and compare to your system. Also be aware the TRUE 120 usually does not come with a fan, so you'll need a 120mm (or two). I'll second the recommendation to check out XS. First place I go when I need more o/c'ing info.
Thank you everyone for all of the info. I do try to read as much as I can on overclocking and I do visit various forums. The problem that I have is that each place has various or different info so it makes it really hard to know what's right, what's wrong, what;s recommended, and what's totally stupid. I wish I could find a guide or some articles that deal specifically with the Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 with an E8500 so that I can immediately apply the lessons learned as well be able to experiment with something that directly pertains to the articles or info.

Guest Jeffhew
Thank you everyone for all of the info. I do try to read as much as I can on overclocking and I do visit various forums. The problem that I have is that each place has various or different info so it makes it really hard to know what's right, what's wrong, what;s recommended, and what's totally stupid. I wish I could find a guide or some articles that deal specifically with the Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 with an E8500 so that I can immediately apply the lessons learned as well be able to experiment with something that directly pertains to the articles or info.
Well, you can start with these. There are a number of threads about the board in this search.http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/search...archid=10364914Unfortunately, after a very brief scan of a couple of the threads, the news isn't all that good with that particular board. Some of threads get long and you really have to read through them. Hope this helps.Regards,Jeff

XS has info on overclocking your motherboard, many using similar Wolfdale (E8000 series) chips. Replace your cooler, change the settings I've suggested, and if that doesn't deliver the results you'd like then check out this thread @ XS. Or just read the thread anyway, but don't go getting crazy ideas like running @ 4.5GHz on air ;)

Guest SuperFortress
I linked to the cooler I'm using in my previous post. Keep in mind it comes with one fan, and I run a second fan for additional cooling so your results may vary. Otherwise Coolermaster's new V8 looks like a great cooler. Then there's the ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 aka TRUE 120 which seems to be the unofficial heatsink of choice for overclocking. Both should be available at Newegg. Keep in mind these are gigantic heatsinks that may not fit every system, so it would be wise to check the dimensions of each and compare to your system. Also be aware the TRUE 120 usually does not come with a fan, so you'll need a 120mm (or two). I'll second the recommendation to check out XS. First place I go when I need more o/c'ing info.
Is there any particular reason you would not choose this for cooling?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186134or this?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118223Thank you.

Guest Jeffhew
Is there any particular reason you would not choose this for cooling?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186134or this?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118223Thank you.
I prefer this one, primarily because it's the one I use and the one with which I have the most experience. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118019The fan is a little bit bigger, and it cools a little better than the 9500 for just a few dollars more if you grab it now. It's right up there with the best of them.The ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 is an outstanding cooler but you will have to buy the 120 mm fan separately. You don't mention the case that you are using. I bring this up because your case will have an impact on the effectiveness of any cooling solution. Also, because this is a large cooler, as is the ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120. In a tight case, you may have issues installing either one. Whatever choice you make, be sure to get a quality thermal compound. The one I use is here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186020 I highly recommend it.Regards,Jeff

Guest SuperFortress
I prefer this one, primarily because it's the one I use and the one with which I have the most experience. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118019The fan is a little bit bigger, and it cools a little better than the 9500 for just a few dollars more if you grab it now. It's right up there with the best of them.The ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 is an outstanding cooler but you will have to buy the 120 mm fan separately. You don't mention the case that you are using. I bring this up because your case will have an impact on the effectiveness of any cooling solution. Also, because this is a large cooler, as is the ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120. In a tight case, you may have issues installing either one. Whatever choice you make, be sure to get a quality thermal compound. The one I use is here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186020 I highly recommend it.Regards,Jeff
This is the case that I am using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811133021It should be fine I think?As for the thermal compound, I have Arctic Silver.Thank you.

Guest Jeffhew
This is the case that I am using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811133021It should be fine I think?As for the thermal compound, I have Arctic Silver.Thank you.
Ok, you should be fine with that case. The reason I recommend the Arctic Cooling MX-2 compound is that is Non-Electrical Conductive. It will also buy you 3-5 degrees better performance over the Arctic Silver.Best Regards,Jeff

Guest SuperFortress
Ok, you should be fine with that case. The reason I recommend the Arctic Cooling MX-2 compound is that is Non-Electrical Conductive. It will also buy you 3-5 degrees better performance over the Arctic Silver.Best Regards,Jeff
Thank you, didnt know that Mx-2 is better.One other question regarding overclocking. I've looked into my windows security log and I noticed a lot of the following error:"Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid"Are these errors possibly a result of several of my failed overclocking attempts where the PC failed to boot or boot half way and then crash or crash once inside Windows?

What would you recommend as a better test? Thank you.
Try Hot CPU Tester Pro 4. "It tests CPU, caches, chipset, memory modules and virtually all parts of the Motherboard for errors/bugs, defective parts and components"It should be run for 6 hours.If all the modules finish without error then you can be pretty confident that your hardware and temps are okay. I know, I've tried it - twice so far.Mike