Sign in to follow this  
Guest ba747heavy

fs2002 under Linux

I saw a thread on flightsim.com about fs2002 running in Linux with huge fps. Is it possible ? Or is it a hoax ?Who knows more ?hm

Guest frankcubillos

I seriously doubt that a linux box running a windows emulator that is running FS can outrun a windows box. I would venture to say that's a hoax. :-wave---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize PAI sig banner here.

Guest ba747heavy

As a long time linux user, I would agree that is a hoax. If it isn't a hoax, then I daresay W$ goes off my box this afternoon =)I would seriously doubt that anyone could get it working, let alone better than native W$ itself.Who knows.

Last thing that I tried over WINE was Wordperfect Office it was too slow and unstable. After that I gave up on WINE maybe they progress. I have plans to try Lindows and FS over it to see what happens.Jos

Guest freequest

Yep i agree... it would be to slow as you would have to emulate windows... effectivly running a operating system in a operating system...

Guest ba747heavy

freequest, with all do respect, it isn't an Os in an OS. There are some major differences.Wine wouldn't be used for DX apps. WineX would. It is designed for DX apps. Search on google for WineX, you can read up on it. However, most DX apps need some help to work in linux, and IIRC FS2002 was one of the apps listed under 'we will not try to make this thing work' catergory on the WineX site.

Guest ba747heavy

Hm,I know. I would love to switch over to linux completly, as W$ drives me mad. Too bad

Guest outtatimeiii

As a Linux user, I would have to say this cannot be done. Unless someone knew how to reverse enginner DirectX and port it to Linux, it cannot be done. If there is such a thing (and I hope Wine isnt a solution), im all ears LOL. I been wanting to get away with Windows for a while now, but the Microsoft games lure me back....just cant live without FS2002 or Freelancer that long, oh well.

Guest Pardue802

In hopes that I don't get flamed, I'll make this comment. If M$ will treat Flight Sim like everything else it produces, it will go out of its way to make sure it doesn't work with the other guys and then blame their product for being too inferior to run it.On the other hand if someone could produce and publish a stable way to get FS to run on a Linux machine, I would, like so many here, probably switch completely.Ken

A very interesting, and significant, point in the thread Ilan points to is that 'Flyboy' originally posted February 18th and has not been back to that thread since despite requests for help from folks. I suspect that the poster's name 'Flyboy' may have more than an aviation meaning ;-), but I hope I am wrong.

Guest outtatimeiii

Well.....uhhhh WOW LOL. I'll believe this as soon as I do it. I dont feel like getting Red Hat though, since Debian is perfectly set up to my standards. Reading that article says that I need Red Hat 8, well I guess no FS2002 on Linux for me.....oh well, wasnt necessary anyway LOL. Works just fine to me in XP at 20fps.

Guest Pardue802

By the way, here's a direct link of the company that does the WineX stuff. From what I understand, they have a subscriber fee that pays for them to license the copyright stuff, or something like that.http://www.transgaming.com/

Guest freequest

I was talking of running the MS OS inside of linux i was not refering to wine or WineX.If i were to refer to wine or whatever i would require knowledge of that particular program i was speacking of emulating the entire Win Os inside of a closed space of the system with linux used as the go between eg (linux (winfull)).