Sign in to follow this  
Marc Muller

Trouble With Vista And Graphic Card

hello dear friendsi got a ASUS Geforce 8800GTS (768MB) in my pc. Board is ASUS Striker II NSE (socket 775) , CPU is an Intel quadcore 9550, with 4 gigs of ram, and Vista ultimate 64bit installed. I am running fine on FSX, great performance, only i get fsx crashes (lockups) in between 1 and 3 hrs of flying. i read somewhere that the 8800gts with 768 mb has known problems with fsx, that

I assume you're downloading the latest nvidia drivers, have you tried an earlier driver, or even the one that came on the CD with the card?

Guest ziporama
hii used nvidia 180.48, and now i tried the supplied drivers 175.19, and no luck with those as well....
180.48 appears to be causing random video crashes after some time for all my titles - the symptom is a black screen, an application hang error, or a video reset error. I reverted back to 174.24 and the problem is solved.Reverting to an earlier version of video drivers is not always a simple thing. You may need to make a clean install to ensure no remnants of the driver still get loaded:- download the free version of the utility drivercleaner 1.5 (http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138459-driver-cleaner-pro.html) - newer releases are not free ($10).- download the version of the Nvidia drivers you want from nvidia.com (174.24 is the most recent certified prior to 180.48, although as we can see, certification doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot !), do not run the driver yet or extract its files (they would be deleted in a step below).- in control panel, uninstall the video driver.- when prompted to restart, do so, but restart in safe mode (hold the F8 key), select safe mode with networking- after login, run drivecleaner pro, and ask it to delete all the nvidia video driver related items including files and registry entries- restart again in safe mode (this prevents vista from re-installing a video driver automatically)- install older driver, restart when prompted- restart in normal modeDone!Hope this helps,Etienne

hitrying to find the 174.24 driver, as i can t find it on nvidia.com....i ll google it now.another thing i just saw, when i connect my lcd to the gtx260 with the vga cable (and a vga to dvi converter on the card) i am running perfectly fine, until i go into flightsim x, i load the pmdg md11, the initialization bar appears, counts down, screen flickers, sound sputters, then i get a blue screen with nvlddmkm.sys error..........something new everytime i try somethingmarc

Well to the OP I might uninstall all drivers and try with an earlier set, like mentioned above. That's very odd though.... Is your entire windows desktop like that too? Is it a physical monitor issue? Can you try the monitor on someone else's system?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest ziporama

For the older driver, you need to go to the archive and beta menu in the Nvidia driver selection applet, that is the first menu option in the "other download options" when you bring it up. The link I have is here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-usAs far as the offset, since you are not using a DVI connection, it is likely your resolution is mismatched. Try 1920x1200 which is the HD resolution, or less, and see what happens. I don't know if the settings go well over an HDMI connection. Just for grins and giggles, if you have an older monitor, see if your video card can drive it.Regards,Etienne

hii did install the card in my other pc, which runs xp. it had the same problems, with a standard 19 inch screennow i am confusedi will bring back the card today, and try to get an ATI card. which one could you recommend me there?marc

Guest ziporama

It is very odd that your image would be shifted off center like that, although I can't visualize what you're seeing without a pic. Some further ideas:Did you install a monitor driver? Did you try different resolutions and aspect ratios (such as 1024x768 and 1920x1200)? Are you running it at 60Hz refresh rate?Do you have multi-monitor or virtual desktop enabled? Try a different cable? A different port?That's a stumper.Etienne

There's just no way this is a video card problem... This has got to be either a configuration issue (display settings) or you have a bad DVI cable. Since using a VGA cable solves the problem I imagine it is the latter.

thats what i was thinking as well, about the hdmi cablebut on my old 8800gts that very same cable works without any problemsso i am not sure,

thats what i was thinking as well, about the hdmi cablebut on my old 8800gts that very same cable works without any problemsso i am not sure,
Do you still posess the old 8800 GTS card to test this theory? The problem could be one of compatibility with the display engine/port of the newer card. Also, perhaps the problem is actually with the HDMI-DVI converter.