Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Asx's Visibility Settings

I've got mine as follows:Min. Surface Vis - @0SMMax.Surface Vis - @100SMMax.Upper Vis - @60SMWhat exactly are Surface Visibility and Upper visibility? Their names may say it all, but I'd like to understand the meaning yet. Also, why, for example, Max.Upper Visibility is lower than MaxSurface visibility by default?Another question, why there is Fog layer simulation? What exactly does it serve for?Thanks, Dirk.

Hi,Those set the maximum visibility values that you will see. We set upper vis lower by default because of haze conditions and such.The Fog setting will generate a low cloud layer when vis is 3SM or less.Thanks!

Hi,Those set the maximum visibility values that you will see. We set upper vis lower by default because of haze conditions and such.The Fog setting will generate a low cloud layer when vis is 3SM or less.Thanks!
Thanks, Jim. But practical questions remain here. What will change if we decrease the max. ground visibility and increase the upper one? Next, is there any FPS advantage, for example, to decrease the ground visibility (that's where the FPS suffer most of all)? Also, why do we need generation of a low cloud layer when vis is 3SM or less? What happens when it does not generate? Sorry, these terms are apparent to you as a developer, but I'm still struggling to understand them.Dirk.

Guest Guest_lingfors_*
Thanks, Jim. But practical questions remain here. What will change if we decrease the max. ground visibility and increase the upper one? Next, is there any FPS advantage, for example, to decrease the ground visibility (that's where the FPS suffer most of all)? Also, why do we need generation of a low cloud layer when vis is 3SM or less? What happens when it does not generate? Sorry, these terms are apparent to you as a developer, but I'm still struggling to understand them.Dirk.
It's pretty self-explanatory, I think. A lower max. vis. will create more haze. The lower one controls vis. at low altitudes (5000ft and below?), and the other one controls vis. at higher altitudes. I have both my max. vis. sliders set at 50nm, which I feel creates just about the right amount of haze (at FL370 you can still see the ground in your vicinity, but as it stretches towards the horizon, it disappears in the haze).The cloud layer generated for vis. lower than 3nm is there to indicate fog when you're above the actual fog layer. Otherwise you see the ground as clear as ever, then as you decend into the fog layer you will suddenly lose visibility. The cloud layer solution is far from perfect, but still helps... In the end, it's just a workaround for the crappy weather engine ACES programmed though.And as far as I can tell, lower vis doesn't help with framerates...

Hi Dirk,The above post explains things pretty well!Jim

It's pretty self-explanatory, I think. A lower max. vis. will create more haze. The lower one controls vis. at low altitudes (5000ft and below?), and the other one controls vis. at higher altitudes. I have both my max. vis. sliders set at 50nm, which I feel creates just about the right amount of haze (at FL370 you can still see the ground in your vicinity, but as it stretches towards the horizon, it disappears in the haze).The cloud layer generated for vis. lower than 3nm is there to indicate fog when you're above the actual fog layer. Otherwise you see the ground as clear as ever, then as you decend into the fog layer you will suddenly lose visibility. The cloud layer solution is far from perfect, but still helps... In the end, it's just a workaround for the crappy weather engine ACES programmed though.And as far as I can tell, lower vis doesn't help with framerates...
Guest_Guest, thank you. Your post clears it all up. Cheers,Dirk. :)

Guest lingfors
Guest_Guest, thank you. Your post clears it all up. Cheers,Dirk. :)
Thanks. Guest_Guest was me being a noob with the new forums. :(