Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougwells

My First Xmas As A Simmer -- Suggestions For Santa?

Guest dougwells

I started flight simming just after Christmas last year so this is the first Xmas that I have a chance to put some great add-ons to my Xmas List. What suggestions do you have for high quality, "must have" programs and hardware? I mostly fly GA aircraft and enjoy flying challenging IFR approaches down to minimums. I also like flying VFR in my local area (Salt Lake City, Utah USA). My goal is to only have ultra high quality products that bring simming as close to the real world as possible.Here is my shortlist so far. What would you add or change?- TrackIR4 Pro- REXAnd here is what I have so far...- Alphasim LongEZ for VFR flying- Dreamfleet Dakota- FSD Saratoga- RealityXP 430 & 530- Saitek Yoke and Panel- SimCharts by JeppessenWhat have you really enjoyed that, in hindsight, you'd hate to fly without?Thanks!PS - I'd also really love a tool that allows me to track my aircraft position on georeferenced low altitude enroute charts. Is there such a thing?

What have you really enjoyed that, in hindsight, you'd hate to fly without?
I've had a TrackIR device for a while now but I really only use it for takeoff and landing. It's a real bonus to have one, but I've recently set up a home LAN and since I can't afford another TrackIR device I've had to make do with the joystick hat switch on my other machine. To tell you the truth I'm actually surprised by what it can do, I could really get used to it.My other must haves are the PMDG 747 and the RealAir Spitfire, but I see that you are a GA flyer so maybe only the Spit would interest you. It's a stick and rudder bird, but you'll have quite a ride when you takeoff with your new TrackIR device.I've managed to avoid any landclass purchases. I'm pretty happy with the default offering.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

I don't see rudder pedals listed - to me those are a must have. :(

Regards, Kendall

I'd also recommend...Flight1 Mustang (should be released sometime soon, will be *THE* plane to have for FS9, if you're into complex addons) - http://mustang.flight1.netFlight1 PC-12Aerosoft Cheyenne XUltimate Terrain X (for whichever region you fly the most).

You might want to check into the Reality xp flightline gauges and FS panel studio. You get extreme smoothness and real working instruments-with Panel studio you can easily put them into any aircraft or even make your own from scratch. Doesn't get any better for low ifr approaches than having smooth real working instruments (including the Reality xp gps you mention).You also might want to look into Fs Dreamscapes high resolution stuff for Utah-since you mention it.Also the Real Air Marchetti has the best single engine behavior I've seen in a sim.

As previously mentioned, Ultimate Terrain X is absolutely something to consider, and you most definitely want to look into GEX (Ground Environment X), I've heard it's something that will truly enhance FS.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

A correction to a previous post. The Flight 1 Mustang is FSX only.

Tom

Guest dougwells

Thanks for the replies. Keep the great ideas coming!Question on UTX and GEX. How does REX fit into this grouping. With REX, are either of the other two (UTX or GEX) redundant?

Thanks for the replies. Keep the great ideas coming!Question on UTX and GEX. How does REX fit into this grouping. With REX, are either of the other two (UTX or GEX) redundant?
Nope. In fact, your scenery will be incredible and will make you drool with UTX+GEX+REX. I hope to do this in the near future :( Regards,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Flight1 Mustang (should be released sometime soon, will be *THE* plane to have for FS9, if you're into complex addons) - http://mustang.flight1.net
David, presumably you mean that the Mustang will be *THE* plane to have for FSX. Flight1 will not be offering the Mustang for FS9. :(

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Guest Mower

Utterly no point flying combat jets in FS when you cannot deploy the weapons nor fight in a tactical environment.That's why the Aerosoft F16 is such a sad joke.For the Spit go with IL2-1946.For the F-16 go with Falcon 4.

Guest ziporama

I'm reading the above and found myself thinking, retirement plan or FSX add-ons? LOLEtienne

Utterly no point flying combat jets in FS when you cannot deploy the weapons nor fight in a tactical environment.That's why the Aerosoft F16 is such a sad joke.
That's BS, I work at Duluth, MN and we constantly have the 148th FW F-16's practicing SFO's, overheads, every kind of maneuver out there, and they aren't loaded. The Aerosoft 16 is on my xmas list... You can do a ton more than combat with it...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Grahamstow

I recommend FTX (Full Terrain Experience), particuarily for VFR. It is a scenery product, but also do airports, both freeware & payware. It blows every other scenery away, including GEX & UTX. Their airports are also pretty good as well.At the moment they have covered Austrailia but will be doing the Pacific Northwest early next year.They have a free demo that covers Tasmania, one of the australian provinces. Give it a try & you will be amazed at what they have doneAircraft wise have a look at Carenados products. Always very goodAlthough I tend to spend a lot of times in Rick Pipers freeware A22 foxbatCheers WarwickNo way affiliated to FTX/ORBX in any way shape or Form