Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Speed, oh speed of download

Guest Papagay

Buenos Tardes Amigos,Can someone explain me please why on a broadband DSL, yes broadband DSL, file download is approx 2.14 kbs, yes 2.14 kbs. Not only frustrating, but not fit to the 21st century. And yes, all my other non avsim downloads are at 100 kbps and up. I will much appreciate an answer,its definitely not cost effective to download stuff at 2 kb a second.Pablo

This is not Avsim's fault.You will invariably realise that at busy periods on the internet, EVERYONE suffers poor download speeds. It's all about 'traffic' and the demand through the line your using.My best advise is, to choose a time before the U.S. awakes for easier and faster speeds or, take the matter up with your supplier?

Dave Taylor gb.png

This happens to me at all times of the day. It also only happens with AVSIM. ALL other sites are d/l at greater than 100KBps.Have tried with and without download accelerators. No joy.Have actually resorted to not downloading stuff here, which is very frustrating because all the good stuff is here. :-( The interesting thing is that the forums run very nicely...Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Pablo,I'm sorry our free service isn't operating to your standards. It is true that there are times when the servers are extremely dogged down by new releases being massively downloaded and mass amounts of users.So... take a deep breath...amigo.... and chill. The speeds will return to normal sooner than later.

Shez, I don't see how it being "all the time" is possible. I have a DSL connection and I'm able to access the library and download stuff at above average speeds. The forums are on a different server is why.I would maybe call your ISP and figure out what's going on. Wouldn't hurt running a tracert to see if maybe the problem isn't on your ISP's end.

Chase,Thanks for the quick reply.Do you mean I ask my ISP tech to try and download a file from the library and see if it works?What is a tracert?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

They will be able to fully assist you with that, ask them to walk you through running a tracert to avsim.net and avsim.com. And no, they wouldn't be downloading a file, they would be helping you maybe resolve why your connection seems to be so slow with AVSIM. There were few rare cases where the ISP had something blocking a connection for some reason to AVSIM.

Guest Zacherius8

>Buenos Tardes Amigos,>>Can someone explain me please why on a broadband DSL, yes>broadband DSL, file download is approx 2.14 kbs, yes 2.14 kbs.>Not only frustrating, but not fit to the 21st century. And>yes, all my other non avsim downloads are at 100 kbps and up.>>PabloI download with an average speed of 400-400kbps. Yes sometimes I hit 'rockbottom' and downloads 'drip in' with 60 or so, but never less than that..It's not AVSIM's severs here you need to blame..

Guest Papagay

OK Gentlemen, my download speed is approx 647 bytes/sec now. Have checked my internet performences with my Internet provider, all tests were just fine. Dont look for someone to blame, just looking for a better site to download from. Sorry and goodbye.

There is a simple way to determine where problems may lie, and one that we have posted numerous times in the past.Click on STARTClick on RUNType in TRACERT library.avsim.netand that will provide you with all the connections and times between your computer and AVSIM's server. It will readily point out where the delays lie and where the slow down is.Once you have done that, do a START, RUN and type in PING library.avsim.net and that will tell you how many packets are being sent and resent between your computer and AVSIM's library server. Keep in mind that for every packet dropped or lost, that means it takes at least twice as long to get that dropped packet, and possibly more.Those two tests will tell you all you need to know where the bottle neck is between AVSIM and your system.