Sign in to follow this  
John_Tavendale

Radeon 9700 Pro & Stuttering is driving me mad!

Hey folks,Maybe I am missing something, I really don't know, but I am rather frustrated with my Radeon 9700 Pro.When I run the sim and go into spot mode, it starts to stutter when I pan around. I have tried different display settings, the only thing that elminated the stuttering was to untick the mutiple textures tab. Obviously this is not a good solution as you lose a fair bit of detail :(I have tried different levels of AA and AF, the stuttering is the same whether its 2x AA or 6x AA.Stuttering is elminated using 1024x768, but I am used to running 1600x1200 and I really don't want to drop down the resolution. I did buy a Radeon because they can run at those resolutions problem free (Well, expcet mine.. :-lol)I am running DX9.0, I've tried using the drivers from the CD, also Cat 3.1 & Cat 3.2, all have the same effect. I've tried lowering the AGP from 8x to 4x, turning off fast writes, increasing the voltage in the BIOS, turning off AGP texturing in DX. I even deshimmed the core, replaced the heatpad with some Artic Silver 3, made no difference. The power connector isn't running off another device. It has it's own IRQ, so no conflict there. Benchmarks just fine, just won't behave in FS.Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at witts end, I know what these cards can do, I just want mine to run properly.Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Did you install the latest control panel for the Catalyst drivers you are using? The 3.1s and 3.2s have their own control panels.Also, when you uninstall old Radeon Drivers make sure to delete the ATI Folder after the uninstall!!!Also make sure to delete ALL the old Radeon registry entries!!!!!! Whether you use Windows 98/ME/2000/XP you still HAVE TO MANUALLY DELETE a few of the entires. For some reason the uninstall in the "Add/Remove Programs" file doesn't erase all of them (it did for Nvidia drivers in XP and 2000 but not these for some reason!!)!!Hope this helps John.Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Shane,I did install the matching CP with the drivers.I removed my old drivers, boot into safe mode, search for ati*.*, deleted all the files, rebooted and installed the new drivers.However I didn't erase the entries in the registry. The suttuers happened from the inital install, so I don't know if that would make a difference, worth a try though :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale

John have you made sure you have nothing in the background like motherboard monitor or any other such polling programs? I am using a 9700 pro on a new install of Win2k with no stuttering. Rarely when I'm turn on the taxiways it might give a hint of a stutter but otherwise it's silky smooth in all areas, even with hefty 3rd party stuff. Make sure you have no other programs that can be causing this.Also, what mode are you running in? I am going with stock Smartgart recommendaitons with AGP8x, DirectX 9.0, 128mg AGP aperture, fast writes on. Everything is working great with this card.Good luck that can be annoying.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Same problem here. This card is faster than my old nVidia 4600, but it sttuters a lot!. Really I

Noel,I don't run MBM, but I often use MSN chat, browse and ICQ. I know the stutters lessen when I am not running these programs, but my old Ti4600 didn't have any trouble with this.I mean, when the time comes to fly online and I have RW & SB running, the stutters will appear again.

Cheers,

John Tavendale

I have just changed to a Radeon 9700 Pro and touch wood don't have the stuttering problems - but a lot of people do. A good forum on the Radeon is Rage3D - the following is the stutter thread -http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php...readid=33664557The card is superb for FS2K2 - my settings on a 19" Monitor -1600x1200x32, Refresh rate 75, AGP4, FW on, AAX4, AFX16, VSync off, I do have the DX sound accleration down one notch in DxDiag to standard acceleration.My system - AMD2400@2136, A7V333 Bios 1015, 512mb PC2700, Rad9700 Pro with cat 3.2 WinXP Pro - no SP1 update.I did use the DH Driver cleaner from http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ to uninstall drivers first - it works with Nvidia and ATI.One thing I did see - try to disable all icons in the tray - that sometimes helps.Good luck tweaking, Shep.

Guest FPSFREAK

John, Disabling services can definitely speed up your machine but disabling services has it's own problems if the right ones aren't disabled. Have you tried running the latest series of Omega drivers. As a huge fan of UT2003 I as well as hundreds of others suffered from stuttering problems w the game. As soon as we installed the Omega drivers our problems went away. These drivers also cured all stuttering issues I was having w CFS3. You may want to look into them as another solution to your problem.Bobby

Guest Bigshot

John; switch to performance 16xAF. I noticed when I flew the advertised 32bit high res aircraft, I had some stutter in outside view and also after landing. After switching, it went away. No problem with any other aircraft. The high res 32 bit texture aircraft, your aircraft and the ones from Precision still have a delay in texture load when switching to outside view; but no real problem with stutters. Here's my settings:http://www.x-plane.org/users/mgdbottled/Settings1.jpg

Hi John,If you have a Radeon you HAVE to download a Radeon tweaker to set the higher functions of the card. Making changes from the control panel may work but I had the EXACT smae problem you describe. I downloaded Rage3D Tweak from www.rage3d.com, adjusted my settings and am able to run FS2K2 with everything maxed except mesh and I get NO, none, nadda, zip stutters or annoying pauses. My frames do decrease in areas of HEAVY AI traffic but over all my frames stay around 28 (locked at 30).If/when you download the tweaker you can try these settings:# of Samples=4Ansio Filtering=8:1 forcedAnsio mode=QualityBump Mapping=enabledColorfill=enabledCompressed Textures=enabledDisable HierarchialZ=enable (check the box to disable)Dither Mode=OrderedFastZ Clear=enabledFSAA Mode=Quality-always onMip Mapping=QualitySupport 32bit Z-Buffer=enabledTCL Back Face Culling=enabledTCL Hardware=enabledTexture Micro Tiling=enabledTile Back Buffer=enabledTile Primary Buffer=enabledTile Textures=enabledTrueform=always offVertex Optiblend=enabledVertexBlendUseProjMat=enabledVolume Textures=enabledWFog=enabledWait for Vert Sync=always offZCompression=enabledZfog=enabledZmask=enabledGood luck!!Mike - Radeon 9700TX user!!