Sign in to follow this  
buzzbee

A Corridor Leg Challenge

I just had another go at TXKF - LPFL, during the day this time so that visibility would be ideal. Approaching LPFL the wind was blowing from the south indicating an approach to Rwy 18, and it was all going very smoothly until I got down to just before the threshold when it appeared that a bunch of trees were blocking my ability to follow the glide slope. The 747 was very light on approach so that my approach speed was as little as 130 kts, but even at this speed there was simply no length in the runway to manoeuvre over the trees and then nose down sharply again back onto the glide slope. I gave it my best shot but again I crashed. While the trees remain in place Rwy 18 will be impossible to approach in a 747. This is one leg I won't be trying again! Mike.
You have to turn off the autogen in your display settings, or as you found you have no chance . Funny place for Giant Redwoods to grow don't you think :(

Harv.png?dl=1

Hey, I think you're right! I'll give it a try. I've started flying in windowed mode so that the Duenna won't interupt the flight when it finishes, so I may as well make any concession necessary to get the RTW race working. I'll also get sliky smooth frame rates as a bonus.

Funny place for Giant Redwoods to grow don't you think :(
You can always count on MS.Thanks Harv!Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Good idea to turn the autogen down during the race. It is not about eye candy at low altitude. I have seen light posts right on approach and trees and all sorts of stuff that you might not see at night during the race.

Hey, I think you're right! I'll give it a try. I've started flying in windowed mode so that the Duenna won't interupt the flight when it finishes, so I may as well make any concession necessary to get the RTW race working. I'll also get sliky smooth frame rates as a bonus.You can always count on MS.Thanks Harv!Mike.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Success at last: TXKF - LPFL.It's a pretty hairy approach in a 747 alright! You wouldn't want to do it in the dark, - no runway lights. And you won't get anywhere with all that autogen in the way, so you've got to be suitably prepared for the RTW race!Mike.

Mike Beckwith

I think there was an AFCAD released by the race committee that added lights, but can't say for sure.

Success at last: TXKF - LPFL.It's a pretty hairy approach in a 747 alright! You wouldn't want to do it in the dark, - no runway lights. And you won't get anywhere with all that autogen in the way, so you've got to be suitably prepared for the RTW race!Mike.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Attempt #1: Pieces of a PMDG 747-400 Freighter scattered across the runway. Perfectly lined up on the runway, but came down and hit the runway way too hard....I might have installed the edit with the runway lights, because I crashed in the dark, and my runway had lights.... Could have used an ILS, though.... :(

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

After the 2007 race I went back and tried this landing and failed repeatedly. Because 3hrs is a long time to fly only crash, I created a saved flight on approach 15 miles out so I could practice. I got to the point where I was successful 2 out 3 times. Basten did it at night on his first attempt and averaged 580knts under race pressure. It was a great demonstration of skill and cool. I am still impressed.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Ahh good old TXKF > LPFL! It was my best flight in the whole race. :( I can still remember how surprised we were when we heard that simouthouse crashed on their attempt. It was a good thing for us, but it did increase the pressure quite a bit.Looking forward to this year's race!

Basten Heidema

Ahh good old TXKF > LPFL! It was my best flight in the whole race. :( I can still remember how surprised we were when we heard that simouthouse crashed on their attempt. It was a good thing for us, but it did increase the pressure quite a bit.Looking forward to this year's race!
Good to see you back Basten. Hope your 747 skills are up to date :(

Harv.png?dl=1

Impressive Landing I witnessed. Wheels down very early on the runway and stopped in plenty of time.Nice flying!

Baton free at lpfg.. woohoo
I have Baton TXKF - LPFLGiving it another go to shakedown the new processor.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

I had to abort

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Guest Gary Buska

I used my Ready For Pushback B747-200 set myself up at about 100nm out of LPFL at FL315 I managed to get it on the ground as the little pigs would say by the hair of my chin. I approached at 2000 feet per ATC I put the mains almost on the numbers hit reverser s before the nose touched down then jammed on the brakes. And one other thing I prayed like crazy. :( Some one needs to contact Boeing and have them install a huge anchor you can deploy in such cases :( I wanted to see if I could make the landing. I am sure the passengers will have me fired for that landing. :(