Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

Shoutcast Broadcasting Of Teamspeak?

Shoutcast broadcasting of teamspeak  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should we broadcast the teamspeak channel over Shoutcast again this year?

• Yes, from the beginning (kicking it out when doing secret planning, as before)
    • Yes, from the beginning (broadcast everything, opponents are going to find out what we're doing eventually anyways)
    • Yes, but start it sometime later in the race
    • No, don't bother

I'm wanting to get the private forums setup somewhere, but right now, the location is being dependent on being able to find a location to host a shoutcast server for broadcasting the teamspeak channel. (From a feasibility standpoint, it'd be easier to host both on the same server.)I know this has raised some "issues" and debate since we started shoutcasting it, so let's try to get it sorted out early... For the new team members who may not know what I'm talking about: Past couple of years, we have been connecting a designated client to our TeamSpeak channel to broadcast it to a ShoutCast streaming audio server. This allows team members stuck at work to listen in to our progress, even when they cannot actually connect a TS client to participate. Problem is that it also allows our competition to listen in. We do use that channel for secret planning, and remembering to kick the broadcast client out of the channel the moment a planning session starts is often not one of our strong points. So, the problem is that having the broadcast can allow our competition to get at least an occasional glimpse of our planning until one of us remembers to boot the broadcast.

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

I think we should do it as we have done the last few years, it has worked fairly well. And it doesn't really matter if we accidentally say something of a planning nature and the other teams hear it, they will most likely already have their own plans that they think is a lot better than anything we can come up with (which of course is completely false, but they don't know that :( ). Maybe it's a bit more sensitive before the race starts, but we don't need the shoutcast before the start of the race

I think we should do it as we have done the last few years, it has worked fairly well. And it doesn't really matter if we accidentally say something of a planning nature and the other teams hear it, they will most likely already have their own plans that they think is a lot better than anything we can come up with (which of course is completely false, but they don't know that :( ). Maybe it's a bit more sensitive before the race starts, but we don't need the shoutcast before the start of the race :( Edit: Oh, and what kind of bandwidth is required for the shoutcast server? If you can't find anywhere to host it I may be able to host it on one of my computers.
So far, it looks like it's a unanimous vote to do it that way....The bandwidth required depends, of course, on what bitrate and quality the source uses and how many listeners. If the source's audio quality is set to 2kb/sec (not sure if it refers to kilobits or kilobytes), then the shoutcast server would use 2kb/sec inbound for the source stream plus 2kb/sec outbound for each individual listener connected at any given moment...

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Last year I listened to it on shoutcast while I was at work.. it was awesome to be able to keep up on what was going on. This year I plan to have the entire week off so it shouldn't be an issue but as long as we kick out the broadcast we are good.

spacer.png