Sign in to follow this  
maximus92

Ias Problem

Hey all,Been a member here for over a year now, kind of hard to believe this is my first post. I usually find the answer with a couple of minutes of searching, but this one perplexes me. On my last two flights, one in Overland's B737-800, and one in SGA's MD-80 using the default B737-800's panel, my airspeed indicator moves back to 000. This then causes my Autopilot to want to go full speed as it's trying to get the airspeed to move up, problem is the airspeed indicator doesn't move, it just sits at 000. Every once in awhile FSX will stutter causing the air speed indicator to set it self at whatever the plane is flying at the time. For example, on a medium haul flight I set it up to fly while I was watching tv, checking on it from time to time. One time when I checked on it my 737 was doing Mach 1.35. So I set the flight back up and continuously monitored it, and sure enough just before I started on my finals, the indicator went to 000. So I tried it on SGA's MD-80 to see if maybe it was just Overland's planes, same thing happened, only this time it was during the climb out. Any ideas?My specs:FSX w/Acceleration PackWindows Vista Ultimate 64-bitAtlonX2 6400+8 gigs of Patriot Extreme Performance Ram2x BFG 8800GTX 768 meg vid cardSeagate 250 GB SATA DriveWD 500 GB SATA DriveOnboard sound :(

don't know for sure, but that sounds suspiciously like what happens when you haven't engaged pitot heat, if the airspeed tube freezes up i think it will show a 0kias and that makes the autopilot very unhappy as you experienced. cheers,-andy crosby

... that sounds suspiciously like what happens when you haven't engaged pitot heat, ...
Sounds like it. You'll want to hit the pitot switch as a matter of reflex if you're going higher than a few thousand feet.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Thank you very much, I'll try that. I kind of figured it was something simple. I've been simming since FS98, and have, within the last couple of years, sort of taken it semi seriously. Trying to follow procedures, capturing the glideslope, joined a VA ect. ect. Hell, I've even just started to use the TO/GA button. Now I'll add the pitot switch to my list. Come to think of it, may be I should start gandering at a check list or two (I still auto start the engine.)

Come to think of it, may be I should start gandering at a check list or two (I still auto start the engine.)
There's a whole world of aviation experiences waiting for you to discover. It just keeps getting deeper and deeper.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

That did it!!! I did a search for pitot and found a couple of threads with the same problem. Of course if I knew it was the pitot switch I would've never posted. Thanks for all your help.