Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

Missing Font Or Something?

hiso it has been a few days since i flew the md-11. in the interim i had installed the twin otter along with rex. so right there obviously i know there are a lot of variables although i don't think they should matter i just wanted to make sure you know i'm aware that there could be some shenanigans here.anyway today i tried to load up the md-11 and fsx would just crash immediately. i tried loading the default plane (worked fine) and then switching to md-11 and it would crash on load."fine" i said and i ran the md-11 installer, hit 'repair' and everything seemed cool it loads again..but no fs2 panel of course.next i reinstalled fs2crew followed by the 1.1 update. checked start center, it finds it.. in the cockpit it seems like it installed correctly as i can right click the mfd to bring up the control bars.. but here is my mystery.. the text in all of the fs2crew windows is missing. did i somehow not get the font when i reinstalled? is there something i can check to see if it is setup correctly other than doing some kind of major reinstall of all fsx..? it seems like fs2crew is running as when i press the start button the co-pilot starts doing his flow and i can hear all the sounds and announcements like the welcome aboard.thanks for any ideas. here's what it looks like:cheers!andy crosby

hiso it has been a few days since i flew the md-11. in the interim i had installed the twin otter along with rex. so right there obviously i know there are a lot of variables although i don't think they should matter i just wanted to make sure you know i'm aware that there could be some shenanigans here.anyway today i tried to load up the md-11 and fsx would just crash immediately. i tried loading the default plane (worked fine) and then switching to md-11 and it would crash on load."fine" i said and i ran the md-11 installer, hit 'repair' and everything seemed cool it loads again..but no fs2 panel of course.next i reinstalled fs2crew followed by the 1.1 update. checked start center, it finds it.. in the cockpit it seems like it installed correctly as i can right click the mfd to bring up the control bars.. but here is my mystery.. the text in all of the fs2crew windows is missing. did i somehow not get the font when i reinstalled? is there something i can check to see if it is setup correctly other than doing some kind of major reinstall of all fsx..? it seems like fs2crew is running as when i press the start button the co-pilot starts doing his flow and i can hear all the sounds and announcements like the welcome aboard.thanks for any ideas. here's what it looks like:cheers!andy crosby
Hello Andy,Did this just happen out of the blue? Was it working before?That's a weird one that I haven't seen before.Try updating and re-installing your video drivers. Let me know if that does the trick.Bryan

hi bryan,after a frustrating afternoon of investigation it turns out that i picked up a trojan (vundo) sometime yesterday evening. which is scary since i'm all patched up with windows and firefox 3.0.4. and i think the only websites i visted were google news and avsim. interestingly two different virus scanners i tried both showed that my system was clean but i knew something was amiss when i started getting popup ads in the middle of flying. it was quite a clever little variant that would attach itself under the winlogon process so you couldn't remove the file, if you tried to use a delete on reboot from hijackthis! it would actually intercept the hijackthis process and make it crash.. even then it turns out it would install itself so early in the boot process that booting to a windows console shell was still too late to remove it..once i got my system cleaned up the fs2crew text shows up again. very strange that it would have such a specific side-effect! sorry for bothering you with this. user error! cheers,-andy crosby