Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

New Asx Weather Engine - Coming Soon!

Well, if you're a current or past ASX user and you've been tinkering with REX the past few days as have I; and feel bit let-down by the seriously under-developed flight-planner (currently anyway) and the lack of tying the theme generation to any part of the flight-plan, than this announcement might lift your spirits. I wondered what Damian and crew have been up to over the past year or so; I should've known :( http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=235659Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Well, if you're a current or past ASX user and you've been tinkering with REX the past few days as have I; and feel bit let-down by the seriously under-developed flight-planner (currently anyway) and the lack of tying the theme generation to any part of the flight-plan, than this announcement might lift your spirits. I wondered what Damian and crew have been up to over the past year or so; I should've known :( http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=235659Regards,
I asked in that thread about the planner as I did not see any reference to it by the OP (Damian)... Did I miss something?Cheers,

I asked in that thread about the planner as I did not see any reference to it by the OP (Damian)... Did I miss something?
Chris,I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Activesky and ASX have always had "route" functionality built-in that correlates the imported flight-plan to both the downloaded weather and the textures (XGraphics) assigned. Perhaps they might improve upon this functionality, but I doubt it would be some kind of fully functioning planner such as FSBuild2 or FSNavigator, that exports a given plan back to FS. I, and probably not many others, have ever had much issue with the "planning" capability in Activesky. If you want a fully functioning planner that exports to may different add-ons, I completely endorse FSBuild2 as I have used it for many years. My problem with REX is, the planner doesn't even come close to what Activesky(X) currently does in that, it ties the downloaded weather and the themes/textures to the planned route.Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Chris,I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Activesky and ASX have always had "route" functionality built-in that correlates the imported flight-plan to both the downloaded weather and the textures (XGraphics) assigned. Perhaps they might improve upon this functionality, but I doubt it would be some kind of fully functioning planner such as FSBuild2 or FSNavigator, that exports a given plan back to FS. I, and probably not many others, have ever had much issue with the "planning" capability in Activesky. If you want a fully functioning planner that exports to may different add-ons, I completely endorse FSBuild2 as I have used it for many years. My problem with REX is, the planner doesn't even come close to what Activesky(X) currently does in that, it ties the downloaded weather and the themes/textures to the planned route.Regards,
There has been discussion for quite some time that Hi-Fi may provide a flight planner (I know they were working on it to some extent), that would integrate with ASX, (not be a direct function of it). At least that is how I always understood it.And yes, it would, I assume, be similar to FSNavigator or similar.The obvious added benefit would be it integrating with ASX and XGraphics as well.

I don't understand why a flight planner is important in a weather generator. In fact, I'm all for single purpose applications that do one job well. All to often the core application gets watered down with unneeded chores that other apps do very well. Bob..

I don't understand why a flight planner is important in a weather generator. In fact, I'm all for single purpose applications that do one job well. All to often the core application gets watered down with unneeded chores that other apps do very well. Bob..
The reason I can see is these programs have incredible textures for clouds, water, sky, -even lightening that is weather dependent. There are a huge number of choices.So the end user has a choice of installing manually these textures, or the program can "look" at the weather and choose what is appropriate to the real world weather.However, if the program does not know where you are, where you are going, and your route, it can not intelligently make a choice of which textures to install, based on that real world weather.

So the end user has a choice of installing manually these textures, or the program can "look" at the weather and choose what is appropriate to the real world weather.However, if the program does not know where you are, where you are going, and your route, it can not intelligently make a choice of which textures to install, based on that real world weather.
I had hoped REX would do this, but it seems not to be the case reading my post at their forum.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Guest nshahzad

Somehow I doubt it will work with REX.I was hoping REX would have that functionality, to install textures based on the route. Doesn't seem like it does that.

Yup - you should have. me too! :) Actually, I would have spent the $$ on REX anyway to check out the textures. Sadly, they freeze FSX every time on my system so , for me, REX is a total bust. Agree that the FP is a little better than useless but my personal pet peeve is the fact that they intentionally PAUSE FSX to load weather every 30 min or so. I soent a lot of time and $$ getting my system to a point where there are NO stutters - sure don't want an application intentionally causing them.Just MHO,

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

First I don't want to take away from HIFI's new announcement here, but I feel this post has become more a compliant line against REX. Which is not fair for HIFI and is not fair for us REX.So I want to state that we at REX have responded to all the posts that you have made here at AVSIM and at our support forums.We know it is impossible to meet everyone's expectations. We know that for the purists the flight planner was probably going to be the weakest area. BUT we also know that this is a starting point for us. It is impossible to put everything you want into a your first release. We have stated that our starting intention with the flight planner was for it to be basic. We have stated we will be enhancing the flight planner over time and especially those features that are necessary up front.We have also stated that if there are issues we will be addressing ASAP.In regards to the weather matching the textures - I have addressed that also in the fourms and I explained that process. We create a global cache of the weather - we do this in regions when you first start up REX.We also got into detail how we adjust this within the weather engine.I also stated that if you had been having issues we would address them and put them on the list to tweak.But since the forums are being hit hard and are up and down you are welcome to personally email me at: r_stough@realenvironmentxtreme.com.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

First I don't want to take away from HIFI's new announcement here, but I feel this post has become more a compliant line against REX. Which is not fair for HIFI and is not fair for us REX.So I want to state that we at REX have responded to all the posts that you have made here at AVSIM and at our support forums.We know it is impossible to meet everyone's expectations. We know that for the purists the flight planner was probably going to be the weakest area. BUT we also know that this is a starting point for us. It is impossible to put everything you want into a your first release. We have stated that our starting intention with the flight planner was for it to be basic. We have stated we will be enhancing the flight planner over time and especially those features that are necessary up front.We have also stated that if there are issues we will be addressing ASAP.In regards to the weather matching the textures - I have addressed that also in the fourms and I explained that process. We create a global cache of the weather - we do this in regions when you first start up REX.We also got into detail how we adjust this within the weather engine.I also stated that if you had been having issues we would address them and put them on the list to tweak.But since the forums are being hit hard and are up and down you are welcome to personally email me at: r_stough@realenvironmentxtreme.com.
Beat me to it - I was about to amend my post because of this and the fact that the folks at REX are working very hard to resolve issues.I look forward to seing what HIFI has come up with!Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And also let's be clear that no HiFi staff member started this thread!Thanks,Jim

Thanks for the mention folks,We are launching a new website this weekend that will showcase all the juicy details. Look for the announcement here on AVSIM.BTW, I'd like to mentioned that no HiFi member ever has (nor will) post competitive information in a thread discussing another product. Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Chris,I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Activesky and ASX have always had "route" functionality built-in that correlates the imported flight-plan to both the downloaded weather and the textures (XGraphics) assigned. Perhaps they might improve upon this functionality, but I doubt it would be some kind of fully functioning planner such as FSBuild2 or FSNavigator, that exports a given plan back to FS.
Oh OK, I perhaps misundestood your original post, as well as from the link you provided re: the flight planner. I inferred from it that there was some advances with the flight planner function to be announced and when I looked, there did not appear to be any such intent either expressed or implied.Cheers and thanks,

Guest Mower

Having just invested in REX I really hope ASX has not got soemthing more tempting...