Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

New Asx Weather Engine - Coming Soon!

Guest abulaafia
Having just invested in REX I really hope ASX has not got soemthing more tempting...
That's called competition, and that's all the fun of it! Better products. So far I find ASX weather reproduction to be far more accurate than REX, despite the superior textures. But we need more time and comparison. And I hope there will be comparison, and competition, and improvements ... since REX didn't fullfill its overhyped expectations, ASX is far from dead! Good luck to both developers. Bring it on!

Guest -BeNt-

Well I don't know if I would go as far as to say it didn't live up to it's "overhyped" expectations. I've used FEX and ASX for a long time now. And swapping both of those out to REX has provided me a good bit more selections in textures, and the weather engine enhancements are far better than what ASX has given me, especially in weather transitions and ground visibility layering. If HiFi releases a superior weather engine or update to ASX would I swap back to using it? Yes, would I swap back at this moment to FEX and ASX, from what I've seen in the last day and half, no.REX has delivered on everything they said they would bring to us, some of it not living up to the communities "overhyped" expectations, and I myself am a bit disappointed in the flight planner portion of the product, but I primarily bought it for the textures and weather engine. Which is also what this product corner stones on and they delivered on. And as the REX team has stated, like other products, functionality and what not will be improved on with patches. This is every program, including FEX and ASX.BTW REX doesn't set the bar like most 'fan boys' would elude to, but it does raise that bar up a bit, and I am interested to see what the HiFi team brings to the table in the coming months. I'm intrested as well if the FEX team delivers their promised weather engine sometime in the immediate future. All three of those products seem to have a level of polish, but like everything else, have a lot of head room to improve and none of them are bad choices.

i agree wholeheartedly with BeNT's assessment. I was not expecting to use the flightplanner as i use custom made fuel profiles and other stuff for fsbuild2 and mainly was curious about rex to see how their weather engine works, and so far i'm very pleased in that regard especially as far as visibility smoothing is concerned.I am somewhat puzzled about how they choose textures on startup without any knowledge of the conditions for your area but i think this is a difficult problem to solve anyway. If you are flying halfway across the globe, conditions will change remarkably and in that case which do you choose? conditions at takeoff? at landing? somewhere of an average between the two? in the end i prefer to use a theme that looks nice in most conditions and not worry about it for now. maybe when a more detailed explanation of how it decides is made public i will let it choose for me..i think the next generation would be to pull off some filter driver trickery like tileproxy uses where you can actually override textures on the fly but that sounds like a coding nightmare..either way i'm glad to see the competition continue because in the end, it means more interesting options for the end users. the hifi and rex guys all seem like good chaps and i'm happy to support the development of these types of packages with my $..cheers,-andy crosby

... since REX didn't fullfill its overhyped expectations
That's your own verdict, you are entitled for it. In my opinion they never overhyped (contrary to forum members representing competing products) and they delivered the best weather textures ever made for a simulator. Those textures, transitions, etc. are in my own opinion worth 10 times any flight planner but I admit I never liked flying in "current/real weather" for all the problems it usually entails.

I thought this thread was about ASX not REX, there are plenty of REX threads and forums for you to post in so please stick to them.

Cheers, Andy.

Guest -BeNt-
I thought this thread was about ASX not REX, there are plenty of REX threads and forums for you to post in so please stick to them.
It is about ASX, this is called constructive discussion. What made you have to feel so strongly against another product to get rude with the people discussing ASX vs. REX vs. Hype?

It is about ASX, this is called constructive discussion. What made you have to feel so strongly against another product to get rude with the people discussing ASX vs. REX vs. Hype?
No its called going off topic, the thread title says "New Asx Weather Engine - Coming Soon!" not "discussing ASX vs. REX vs. Hype?" Also at no point was anything I said rude, so I'd like an apology too, thank you.

Cheers, Andy.

Guest -BeNt-

You are being a troll, please go back to your bridge. You are being rude, by coming to a forum thread and obvsiously posting a response that is going to get negative feedback, meanwhile everything is fine. Telling people to "go somewhere else" is not an appropriate response. If people are going off topic so be it, but in a discussion board most threads eventually go a bit off course due to the constructive discussion going on during any thread at any time. This is my last post to you on this topic as I believe now instead of it being constructive it has turned into or is turning into a fight/flame war whatever else you wish to call it and I'm too old to participate in something that doesn't help. And now sir, we are totally off topic......

Well, if you're a current or past ASX user and you've been tinkering with REX the past few days as have I; and feel bit let-down by the seriously under-developed flight-planner (currently anyway) and the lack of tying the theme generation to any part of the flight-plan, than this announcement might lift your spirits. I wondered what Damian and crew have been up to over the past year or so; I should've known :( http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=235659Regards,
Great news have the same feelings about REX!However the textures are great stuff and worth the price alone Tim did really a great job there.The flightplanner that was mentioned isn't useful and they say meant for newbies now wondering most of us are hardcore simmers lolASX has a better performance and depiction as the REX weather engine here local however the memory footprint of REX is better 24 mb against 66 mb of ASX.Still wondering why there are people/developers out there and think theyinvented the wheel with 4096 resolution textures. (great for screenshots and sales but not for performance)Hence ask yourself why there was in the first place 1024 lol

André

Guest abulaafia

The REX textures are the best yet - but the weatherengine hasn't really improved since it was called Weathermaker. The old bugs are all still there, sad to say. ASX engine is still far superior, so I decided to try out REX textures with ASX as weather engine. The results are stunning! Will be posting screenshots over the weekend. I will be running REX+ASX for the time being!

Thats great news about it being for FS9 as well.Can't wait to see the announcement and the website.ThanksCraig