Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Rex Impressions

After perhaps one of the lengthiest processes since installing FSX, I am really enjoying the REX experience.It seems that the weather is so much better and more realistic than what's packaged with FSX. The lack of those ugly cloud layer bands is worth it alone.I'm absolutely sure that DEFRAGMENTATION is a necessary procedure AFTER installing REX. I tried it both ways. After an Ultimate Defrag last night while I slept, FSX and REX worked much better together this morning than they did last night before the defrag. Last night I had hang ups, questionalble frames, and freezes. I was NOT getting the necessary weather loading messages from REX in FSX before the start of the flight. This morning, everything worked like it should. Defragging is also mentioned on the Real Environment Forum.I question how I can be sure REX is loading proper textures along with weather. Should I press the Fly now button on the Menu bar after getting the Weather, or let REX do the decision making completely and use the Easy Menu for I Just want to Fly?I look forward to some of the tips that others here on this forum can provide in regards to how to a "do it right" procedure for using REX in conjunction with FSX.Enjoy your experiences; I think we have a winner here.Stan

Guest JimC1702

I agree Stan. I've only had time for a couple of short flights but, so far, I'm extremely pleased with REX. For me the water is the most dramatic improvement and I was already using FEX. I took one flight at dawn and the sunrise and lighting were spectacular.Jim

Can someone with the package installed give an overview of how it runs each time you use FSX?I get the impression you cant just run FSX like normal you have to run REX first and then after some loading time, REX runs FSX.Someone mentioned up to 6 minutes of waiting before you can run FSX after selecting a REX profile and any pauses when playing?

Can someone with the package installed give an overview of how it runs each time you use FSX?I get the impression you cant just run FSX like normal you have to run REX first and then after some loading time, REX runs FSX.Someone mentioned up to 6 minutes of waiting before you can run FSX after selecting a REX profile and any pauses when playing?
From my little usage-initially if you want to load a new texture set you wait about 6 minutes while it is loaded. This is pretty much not different from for instance fex.Once you load the weather engine you can fly anywhere and the current rw weather will be loaded. If I am wrong someone can clarify-with the long download process I only had about 2 hours to try it out.

Guest -BeNt-

That right Geofa, the only time you have to wait is if you select a new texture set, or you tell it to do everything for you which also includes installing textures to match the weather. If you just select fly now, it will only input the current real world weather where ever you are flying. I've had limit experience with it as well, but so far I'm rather pleased with what I have seen.

You didn't mention it, but from what i've read REX pauses the sim for some seconds every 30 minutes to load the weather (if you are using real weather). That is one of the things that is making me think twice before getting it. Another one is the haze problem, people are saying that using real weather, they always get a haze layer when flying low that suddendly disappears at around 2000 ft...Guess i'm staying with FEX until they fix these problems.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

From my little usage-initially if you want to load a new texture set you wait about 6 minutes while it is loaded. This is pretty much not different from for instance fex.Once you load the weather engine you can fly anywhere and the current rw weather will be loaded. If I am wrong someone can clarify-with the long download process I only had about 2 hours to try it out.
I've read that TAF reports are downloaded. That's not exact RW weather, but more of a prognosis of the weather. Can anyone confirm that RW weather is captured or is it only TAF reports?

I've read that TAF reports are downloaded. That's not exact RW weather, but more of a prognosis of the weather. Can anyone confirm that RW weather is captured or is it only TAF reports?
Hi Bruce-I think it is captured.Perhaps Reed the designer will pipe in-but from what I understand-all data including taf's is utilized in some complex process to decide what textures will be used for the simulation (if this option is chosen by the user). However, the weather used I think is RW weather based on metars.I just got the Rex weather and it matches to the "t" to the last updated metar at my field which is less than 1 hour old.

Guest -BeNt-

Yeah same results here. I flew from KCOS ealier today to spot a bit around the rockies and aspen inparticular, and the metars for KCOS matched what REX put into the sim to a "T". Temperatures, wind directions and everything else where spot on. It does download TAF data as well, but I think that has something to do with texture matching and the smooth transition stuff. I have yet to hit the 30 minute limit as of yet, but I think I would rather it pause my sim for about 10 seconds than for my frame rate to tank out for a minute while it refreshes the weather. Of course if this happens to be on approach my opinion will probably change so what.

You didn't mention it, but from what i've read REX pauses the sim for some seconds every 30 minutes to load the weather (if you are using real weather). That is one of the things that is making me think twice before getting it. Another one is the haze problem, people are saying that using real weather, they always get a haze layer when flying low that suddendly disappears at around 2000 ft...Guess i'm staying with FEX until they fix these problems.
Surely they can put in a control that allows you NOT to update weather every 30min, yes?Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Surely they can put in a control that allows you NOT to update weather every 30min, yes?Noel
I would prefer if they find a way to update it without pausing the sim, even if it stutters for a couple of seconds.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest -BeNt-

Yeah same thing I was thinking. Not to wild about the pause before or after to tell you the truth. I'm thinking they may end up changing the way that's handled sooner or later, and hopefully allow us some control over how often the weather updates, I would prefer every 15 minutes myself, especially in the wilder weathered areas of the world.