Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Rex Quick Start Guide

I see few posts showing some confusion with REX architecture and interface.After spending some hours using this new fantastic tool, I'll try to summarize what I have understood.Please forgive me if I am wrong here or there and don't hesitate to correct me.Hope it helps!EDIT: You are having problems downloading REX and you don't know how to resume the download:- Go to the folder you've choose for the REX install files. You should see there 1 or 2 or more REX.data files- Delete the last data file (not mandatory but helpful!) ie. rex_r4.dat- For Vista go to C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\GetRightToGo, for XP go to Documents and Settings\your name\Application Data\GetRightToGoand delete all the folder's content.- Reload the installer and when asked choose DON'T REPLACE (important!). The installer will check the already installed data files and will resume the download.1) I WANT TO USE REX WEATHER ENGINE AND FLY WITH THE TEXTURES PROPOSED BY REX- launch the App.- choose "Use Real Time Weather": REX downloads the latest TAF reports for the whole world regardless to your departure airport.- click on the "I Just Want To Fly" quick start button : REX will install the textures and the weather that matches the TAF reports and start FSX- within FSX select your flight- go back to REX interface and click on "Fly Now!" : the weather will be loaded into FSX2) I WANT TO USE REX WEATHER ENGINE AND FLY WITH THE TEXTURES I WANT- launch the App.- choose "Use Real Time Weather": REX downloads the latest TAF reports for the whole world regardless to your departure airport.- click on the "I Like To Create" quick start button: here you can define which textures to use- click on "Install": REX will install the textures you have choosen- launch FSX and select your flight- go back to REX interface and click on "Fly Now!" : the weather will be loaded into FSX3) WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I CHOOSE A WEATHER THEME IN THE THEME CREATION PAGE ?- Nothing will happen if you have choosen "Use Real Time Weather" because this option forces REX to use real weather and not your weather theme!- Your weather theme will be injected into FSX if you have selected another option when launching REX4) HOW CAN I OPTIMIZE THE TEXTURES LOADING TIME?- In the page "Options", uncheck all five Water options: instead of six minutes the textures will be loaded in less than a minute. Of course, that means that unless you modify your choice of water textures, the same textures will be loaded even if you want REX to choose textures for you (see #1)5) HOW CAN REX INSTALL TEXTURES THAT MATCH WEATHER IF THE APP DOESN'T KNOW WHERE I WANT TO FLY?- You have to understand that REX will use an algorythm that takes in account the whole world and not a specific place when it chooses textures for you. Because the textures are choosen before FSX is launched they can't obviously be changed when you select your flight. So if your personal choice was "Cumulus 40" and "Arizona" sky and you fly in Arizona using the Real Weather and this day the sky is blue without clouds, the sky you will get is the "Arizona" one but without clouds. If clouds are coming so they will be the "Cumulus 40" ones.6) WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T CLICK ON THE "FLY NOW" BUTTON?- FSX won't be connected to REX real weather!7) CAN FSX WEATHER OVERWRITE REX WEATHER?- Yes, if you choose a weather option within FSX other than "User-defined weather". But after 30 minutes REX will download a new report and install it !

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I see few posts showing some confusion with REX architecture and interface.After spending some hours using this new fantastic tool, I'll try to summarize what I have understood.Please forgive me if I am wrong here or there and don't hesitate to correct me.Hope it helps!1) I WANT TO USE REX WEATHER ENGINE AND FLY WITH THE TEXTURES PROPOSED BY REX- launch the App.- choose "Use Real Time Weather": REX downloads the latest TAF reports for the whole world regardless to your departure airport.- click on the "I Just Want To Fly" quick start button : REX will install the textures and the weather that matches the TAF reports and start FSX- within FSX select your flight- go back to REX interface and click on "Fly Now!" : the weather will be loaded into FSX2) I WANT TO USE REX WEATHER ENGINE AND FLY WITH THE TEXTURES I WANT- launch the App.- choose "Use Real Time Weather": REX downloads the latest TAF reports for the whole world regardless to your departure airport.- click on the "I Like To Create" quick start button: here you can define which textures to use- click on "Install": REX will install the textures you have choosen- launch FSX and select your flight- go back to REX interface and click on "Fly Now!" : the weather will be loaded into FSX3) WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I CHOOSE A WEATHER THEME IN THE THEME CREATION PAGE ?- Nothing will happen if you have choosen "Use Real Time Weather" because this option forces REX to use real weather and not your weather theme!- Your weather theme will be injected into FSX if you have selected another option when launching REX4) HOW CAN I OPTIMIZE THE TEXTURES LOADING TIME?- In the page "Options", uncheck all five Water options: instead of six minutes the textures will be loaded in less than a minute. Of course, that means that unless you modify your choice of water textures, the same textures will be loaded even if you want REX to choose textures for you (see #1)5) HOW CAN REX INSTALL TEXTURES THAT MATCH WEATHER IF THE APP DOESN'T KNOW WHERE I WANT TO FLY?- You have to understand that REX will use an algorythm that takes in account the whole world and not a specific place when it chooses textures for you. Because the textures are choosen before FSX is launched they can't obviously be changed when you select your flight. So if your personal choice was "Cumulus 40" and "Arizona" sky and you fly in Arizona using the Real Weather and this day the sky is blue without clouds, the sky you will get is the "Arizona" one but without clouds. If clouds are coming so they will be the "Cumulus 40" ones.6) WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T CLICK ON THE "FLY NOW" BUTTON?- FSX won't be connected to REX real weather!7) CAN FSX WEATHER OVERWRITE REX WEATHER?- Yes, if you choose a weather option within FSX other than "User-defined weather". But after 30 minutes REX will download a new report and install it !
David -Thank you for the nice write up!!! Very helpful.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Great info David-should be a sticky on their support board!Thanks!

Guest UlfB

Quick Download would be very much apreciated instead of any start guide.I purchased REX yesterday and have been able to download only 2 of the 8 files. On the support forum some urls was previously posted to be used by download programs. I used DAP to download 2 files, but when trying to continue a download of http://fssdownload.com/rex-001-3.php nothing happens. I can't post on the REX support forum (to many connections). I can't reach the FlightSim Store. What the h*ll am I supposed to do to continue downloading? Should I start all over with the FlightSim Store downloader or contiue trying with DAP and the http://fssdownload.com/rex-001-3.php????Any advice very much apreciated!!!!Ulf B

Quick Download would be very much apreciated instead of any start guide.I purchased REX yesterday and have been able to download only 2 of the 8 files. On the support forum some urls was previously posted to be used by download programs. I used DAP to download 2 files, but when trying to continue a download of http://fssdownload.com/rex-001-3.php nothing happens. I can't post on the REX support forum (to many connections). I can't reach the FlightSim Store. What the h*ll am I supposed to do to continue downloading? Should I start all over with the FlightSim Store downloader or contiue trying with DAP and the http://fssdownload.com/rex-001-3.php????Any advice very much apreciated!!!!Ulf B
Hi Ulf B-First, I apologized for the inconviences you are experiencing. Trust me we are looking into every possible option here.We are in talks right now with our vendor to see how we can get these issue resolved. I will keep you posted. I will forward this post directly to Adrian.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

1) I WANT TO USE REX WEATHER ENGINE AND FLY WITH THE TEXTURES PROPOSED BY REX[/b]- launch the App.- choose "Use Real Time Weather": REX downloads the latest TAF reports for the whole world regardless to your departure airport.- click on the "I Just Want To Fly" quick start button : REX will install the textures and the weather that matches the TAF reports and start FSX- within FSX select your flight- go back to REX interface and click on "Fly Now!" : the weather will be loaded into FSX
See, this makes no sense. If I have a bright sky in one part of the world, but a dark gray sky in another, there is no way REX can decide which to install until after I have told it where I am going to fly (no matter if it gets a TAF report for the whole world). And after FSX is started, the textures loaded cannot be changed. Thus, I cannot see how REX textures are installed based on the weather conditions I plan on flying to/from/etc.

Guest UlfB
Hi Ulf B-First, I apologized for the inconviences you are experiencing. Trust me we are looking into every possible option here.We are in talks right now with our vendor to see how we can get these issue resolved. I will keep you posted. I will forward this post directly to Adrian.
Thanks for your fast response. I really tried to post on REX support forum, but when adding the post I got the "too many connections" message from the server. I guess I'll wait a couple of days.Ulf B

I agree can we use this David?
Yes of course!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I'd like to get past the "Backup" stage - step 2 - everything I've done so far from the REX forum has failed , so I've had no chance to use the program.David

David Porrett

Guest JimC1702

Thanks a lot for the guide, David, it's greatly appreciated.Jim

Thanks for the guide, but you can clear up something?What textures are you referring to? Cloud textures, water textures, airport?Example GEX replaces the existing FSX ground textures once,you dont have to load them for each flight, you just install GEX once, then run FSX and it looks better everytime.REX, I thought improves cloud, water and airport textures.Why do I have to run this REX app and load textures every time.Can't I just pick the textures I want from REX , install them ,then just use FSX normally and see the new textures chosen everytime,without running a REX app too?Woudl be great for the REX team to release the manual for potential buyers to read and understand the product better before buying.

"Can't I just pick the textures I want from REX , install them ,then just use FSX normally and see the new textures chosen everytime,without running a REX app too?"The answer is yes-and you can also use Active sky or fs real weather downloads-you don't have to run the Rex program. "Can't I just pick the textures I want from REX , install them ,then just use FSX normally and see the new textures chosen everytime,without running a REX app too?"Yes you can. On the other hand, REX will try to match the conditions from the weather report and load different sets that most closely match the current weather if you wish. e.g. A cumulus t storm looking cloud would not be appropriate for flying in the winter in Michigan.This is the mode I personally like the best-a few clicks and the program does its best to match what is really out there.Of course you can choose your own too.To be honest-I find David's description above much more illuminating than the Rex documentation.Thanks again to David for putting it simply and easily.

Thanks, last question... :)Why the need to turn off water textures to prevent a 6 minute load.Are the water textures being changed for each weather report too,if you turn them off do you still get water like in the REX screenshots?All this constant texture changing sounds like it would fragment things quickly too?