Sign in to follow this  
tyrodes

ATIS and Tower runway conflict

I know that when you are away from an airport (> 30nm) the ATIS landing runway may be different than the tower landing runway once you get closer to the airport. I think this is because local winds are used to determine the landing runway. However, I slewed to above an airport (KLGA), and ATIS and the tower said different landing runways. Is this expected?Thanks for you help.

Guest DanWalloch

usually the runway announced on atis is the one you'll be landing on, but then again the atis is done once an hour so the winds might have changed and the tower feels that it would be more suitable to land using a different runway.

Guest RonB49

Have any AFCAD changes been made to your KLGA? Sometimes after AFCAD has been used to modify the runways available for landings and takeoffs, ATIS seems to get confused. For example:o at KRNO, I have 16R set for landing and 16L for takeoffs. Atis says, "landing and departing 16L."o At KLAS, I have 25L for landing and 25R for takeoff. There, ATIS says, "landing and departing 1R." Runway 1R was not modified by AFCAD.I have no idea why this happens. Anyone? ATC is (usually?) correct. R-

>Have any AFCAD changes been made to your KLGA? Sometimes >after AFCAD has been used to modify the runways available >for landings and takeoffs, ATIS seems to get confused. For >example: >Yes, my KLGA AFCAD has been modified. I will look into it.Thanks for the suggestion RonB49.

Seems as though the AFCAD file was the problem. For some reason, runway 4/22 was closed. When I removed the closed restriction, the ATIS and tower runways were the same.Thanks again! This would have taken me a long time to figure out.