Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Decoding An Xml "flag" Variable

What would be the easiest way to decode the XML flag variable (A:NAV CODES:index,flags)...

BIT7: 0= VOR  1= Localizer  BIT6: 1= glideslope available  BIT5: 1= no localizer backcourse  BIT4: 1= DME transmitter at glide slope transmitter  BIT3: 1= no nav signal available  BIT2: 1= voice available  BIT1: 1 = TACAN available  BIT0: 1= DME available

:(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What would be the easiest way to decode the XML flag variable (A:NAV CODES:index,flags)...
BIT7: 0= VOR  1= Localizer  BIT6: 1= glideslope available  BIT5: 1= no localizer backcourse  BIT4: 1= DME transmitter at glide slope transmitter  BIT3: 1= no nav signal available  BIT2: 1= voice available  BIT1: 1 = TACAN available  BIT0: 1= DME available

:(

Use a bitwise and process... for example: if (NAV CODES && 0x08)==0x08 (or != 0) then 'no nav signal available'.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Look in sd2gau25(?).zip for the code!!!!! :( -Dai(Sorry Bill - couldn't resist. As Ed says, do a bitwise lookup. The sample I supply checks to see what the type of VOR you've locked onto. Yes, it's C-code and you're after XML, but the principle is there?).

I know how to accomplish the task in C... :( There are absolutely NO examples of the XML Script syntax though... that's the problem! :( Well, that's not entirely true if anyone can possibly consider this a reasonable example:

Operator	  Operation	 Arguments	   Example	  Result _____________________________________________________________________			    &		  bitwise AND	  2			5 3 &			1

Oh yeah! That's real clear! :(

Fr. Bill    

I know how to accomplish the task in C... :( There are absolutely NO examples of the XML Script syntax though... that's the problem! :( Well, that's not entirely true if anyone can possibly consider this a reasonable example:
Operator	  Operation	 Arguments	   Example	  Result _____________________________________________________________________			    &		  bitwise AND	  2			5 3 &			1

Oh yeah! That's real clear! :(

Ok... bitwise means binary... so...5 in binary is 1013 in binary is 011And them together results in 001.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ok... bitwise means binary... so...5 in binary is 1013 in binary is 011And them together results in 001.
:( Again, the "math" isn't the question...What is the precise syntax for scripting this in XML... :(

Fr. Bill    

:( Again, the "math" isn't the question...What is the precise syntax for scripting this in XML... :(
Well, you're the XML guy... not me... but... should be something like this:5 3 & 1 == if{

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Well, you're the XML guy... not me... but... should be something like this:5 3 & 1 == if{
Hey, I ain't no eggspurt at this here ExML stuff! I jist play 'round 'till stuff wurks!This compilicated sequence will work but it doesn't use the bitwise operator "&" at all:
<Macro Name="NavCodes">(A:NAV CODES:1,flags)</Macro><Element Name="Decode NavCodes>	<Select>		<Value>			@NavCodes 128 >= 				if{ 1 (>L:IsLocalizer,bool) }				els{ 1 (>L:IsVor,bool) }			@NavCodes 128 >=				if{ 					@NavCodes 128 - (>@NavCodes)					@NavCodes 64 >=						if{ 1 (>L:IsGlideslope,bool) }						els{ 0 (>L:IsGlideslope,bool) }					}			@NavCodes 64 >=				if{ 					@NavCodes 32 - (>@NavCodes) 					@NavCodes 32 >=						if{ 1 (L:NoBackcourse,bool) }						els{ 0 (L:NoBackcourse,bool) }					)			@NavCodes 32 >=				if{					@NavCodes 16 - (>@NavCodes)					@NavCodes 16 >=						if{ 1 (>L:HasDMEatGS,bool) }						els{ 0 (>L:HasDMEatGS,bool) }					}			@NavCodes 16 >=				if{					@NavCodes 8 - (>@NavCodes)					@NavCodes 8 >=						if{ 1 (>L:NoNavSignal,bool) }						els{ 0 (>L:NoNavSignal,bool) }			@NavCodes 8 >=				if{					@NavCodes 4 - (>@NavCodes)					@NavCodes 4 >=						if{ 1 (>L:HasVoice,bool) }						els{ 0 (>L:HasVoice,bool) }					}			@NavCodes 4 >=				if{					@NavCodes 2 - (>@NavCodes)					@NavCodes 2 >=						if{ 1 (>L:HasTacan,bool) }						els{ 0 (>L:HasTacan,bool) }					}			@NavCodes 2 >=				if{					@NavCodes 1 - (>@NavCodes)					@NavCodes 1 >=						if{ 1 (>L:HasDME,bool) }						els{ 0 (>L:HasDME,bool) }					}		</Value>		</Select></Element>

One could keep subtracting the decimal value of the BITn and thereby decode every flag...But, it's rediculously complex. There has to be a simpler method!

Fr. Bill    

Bill, forget about that complicated code :( As Ed stated, it's a simple bitwise operationSo:decimal codes for BIT0 to 7128 BIT7: 0= VOR 1= Localizer 64 BIT6: 1= glideslope available 32 BIT5: 1= no localizer backcourse 16 BIT4: 1= DME transmitter at glide slope transmitter 8 BIT3: 1= no nav signal available 4 BIT2: 1= voice available 2 BIT1: 1 = TACAN available 1 BIT0: 1= DME availableThen for example, to test if a VOR has not localizer backcourse:(A:NAV CODES:1, flags) 32 & 32 == To test for glideslope available(A:NAV CODES:1, flags) 64 & 64 == etc etcTom

(A:NAV CODES:1, flags) 32 & 32 == To test for glideslope available(A:NAV CODES:1, flags) 64 & 64 ==
Thanks Tom. That's all I needed to know: the SYNTAX of the XML script... :( Sometimes I have problems seeing the obvious... :(Funny that I had written out the same "table" yesterday correlating the decimal values with the BITn values...This will allow me to script some handy <Macro> for later consumption:<Macro Name="IsVor">(A:NAV CODES:1, flags) 128 & 128 !=</Macro><Macro Name="IsLoc">(A:NAV CODES:1, flags) 128 & 128 ==</Macro><Macro Name="HasGS">(A:NAV CODES:1, flags) 64 & 64 ==</Macro>etc.When you have a chance Tom, please review this new Wiki entry to see if I've posted something incorrectly:http://forums.flightsim.com/fswiki/index.p...L_Decode_Macros

Fr. Bill    

These are some more from past notes I had..VOR ONLY = 32DME only = 41VOR + DME = 33It can also Work with the other flag sets..IE BackCourse Flags 131= Tuned and available 135= Tuned, Avail, & on back course sideRoman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Hi Bill, I checked the Wiki and seems OK. BTW, thank you for taking the effort to maintain the Wikis ( I understand you post on more than one) :( Tom
Yes, I do. Actually, I find them wonderful places to stick stuff I will likely need at some point in the future... ;)

Fr. Bill