Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Over Clocking Question

I have a Dell 720 h2c liquid cooled quad core 2.97 Ghz - nVidia motherboard. It came factory over-clocked to 3.78 Ghz. I had some RAID errors and Dell replaced the motherboard and 2 hard drives. They refused to over-clock the computer to 3.78 - even though I booght it that way from them. I went in the BIOS and simply raised it back to 3.78 Ghz and all is ok. Here are my 2 questions:1. Over the last 3 weeks the syetem booted up twice (out of 30 times) to the original 2.97 Ghz and not 3.78 ghz. I had to back in the BIOS and reset it to 3.78. There are no crashes so why did it reset to 2.98 Ghz??2. How do I see the CPU temperature?thanksPaul

Paul Gugliotta

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Paul,I can't help much with the overclock because I have no specific experience in OC'ing a Dell. As to the temp monitoring, I'd recommend trying Everest ultimate edition here:http://www.download.com/Everest-Ultimate-E...4-10499291.htmlIt's a free download and will allow you to monitor a number of variables on your system. It will run in trial mode and you can pay for a full version if you choose to. The trial mode only restricts a few parameters. You will be able to see all of your temps though. Here's what it will look like.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?act=att...post&id=144 Hope this helpsRegards,Jeff

I have a Dell 720 h2c liquid cooled quad core 2.97 Ghz - nVidia motherboard. It came factory over-clocked to 3.78 Ghz. I had some RAID errors and Dell replaced the motherboard and 2 hard drives. They refused to over-clock the computer to 3.78 - even though I booght it that way from them. I went in the BIOS and simply raised it back to 3.78 Ghz and all is ok. Here are my 2 questions:1. Over the last 3 weeks the syetem booted up twice (out of 30 times) to the original 2.97 Ghz and not 3.78 ghz. I had to back in the BIOS and reset it to 3.78. There are no crashes so why did it reset to 2.98 Ghz??2. How do I see the CPU temperature?thanksPaul
Hey Paul - If I were you I'd be screaming for a refund - you paid for something you did not get. I would not attempt to clock the product yourself unless you're willing to eat the product if it screws up.Just going in and raising the clock is dangerous - you are looking at a potentially very expensive doorstop.Call Dell and demand a refund or the product you ordered - period!You are getting s-c-r-e-w-e-d- by Dell.Just MHO,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hey Paul - If I were you I'd be screaming for a refund - you paid for something you did not get. I would not attempt to clock the product yourself unless you're willing to eat the product if it screws up.Just going in and raising the clock is dangerous - you are looking at a potentially very expensive doorstop.Call Dell and demand a refund or the product you ordered - period!You are getting s-c-r-e-w-e-d- by Dell.Just MHO,Vic

Paul Gugliotta

I did fight this several times. My bill of sale says "Factory Clocked to 3.78". My manual says it. And so does the specs when you look up a Dell 720 H2C. Dell insists it was NOT overclocked - it was not on in their system as being overclocked. Do they think I am stupid? It clearly said 3.78 GHz when I booted up on the main screen. I saw it 1000 times. These losers basically told me to give up, and were persistent in thinking they were rioght despite the evidence. I offered to fax them over the bill of sale - they said too bad. I was furious.Anyways, I did not know how to overclock this rig. I asked every computer shop in town. They flat out refused to touch it. It was like I was asking to sleep with their sister - it was such a taboo subject. I finally hired a "computer geek" (that was the name of his company) for $90 and saw him go into the BIOS and simply toggled the CPU from 2.97 to 3.46 and then to 3.78. He ran a stability test and it was fine. For the next 50 minutes he wanted to see a demo of FSX. He was amazed - I wanted my money back. $90 for 5 minutes! But I guess he taught me how to do it. I tried on my own through Ntune but was not able to as it said I had to enable overclocking in the BIOS and simply didn't see a setting to do that. - but was that all to it?? Remenber, this CPU and nvidia 680i SLP motherboard and liquid cooled system was made to be over-clocked.Anyway as far as overclocking goes - was changing the setting in the BIOS all that needs to be done?Did I miss the ball? or should I be concerned with setting the house on fire?Thanks Jeff and vgbaron for the reply!

Paul Gugliotta

I had a similar experience with Dell, iBuyPower (from Costco) and ABS (which cost me a 400.00 return fee) in that order. I eventually built my own PC after doing the research. It's very easy. Once these guys have your money, you've lost all your leverage; believe me, I know. I'm very happy with my box and have had no problems at all to speak of. Never have to call technical support or the Geek Squad either!I know this doesn't help much, but live and learn. :( Mark

Guest Jeffhew
I did fight this several times. My bill of sale says "Factory Clocked to 3.78". My manual says it. And so does the specs when you look up a Dell 720 H2C. Dell insists it was NOT overclocked - it was not on in their system as being overclocked. Do they think I am stupid? It clearly said 3.78 GHz when I booted up on the main screen. I saw it 1000 times. These losers basically told me to give up, and were persistent in thinking they were rioght despite the evidence. I offered to fax them over the bill of sale - they said too bad. I was furious.Anyways, I did not know how to overclock this rig. I asked every computer shop in town. They flat out refused to touch it. It was like I was asking to sleep with their sister - it was such a taboo subject. I finally hired a "computer geek" (that was the name of his company) for $90 and saw him go into the BIOS and simply toggled the CPU from 2.97 to 3.46 and then to 3.78. He ran a stability test and it was fine. For the next 50 minutes he wanted to see a demo of FSX. He was amazed - I wanted my money back. $90 for 5 minutes! But I guess he taught me how to do it. I tried on my own through Ntune but was not able to as it said I had to enable overclocking in the BIOS and simply didn't see a setting to do that. - but was that all to it?? Remenber, this CPU and nvidia 680i SLP motherboard and liquid cooled system was made to be over-clocked.Anyway as far as overclocking goes - was changing the setting in the BIOS all that needs to be done?Did I miss the ball? or should I be concerned with setting the house on fire?Thanks Jeff and vgbaron for the reply!
I'm sorry your experience has been so bad Paul. When I first responded to your post, I wanted to say something about Dell computers, but decided not to. The reallity is that Dell's concern for you ends when the check clears. Their systems are notoriously difficult, if not impossible, for the end user to OC because the settings in the BIOS to do it right are just not available to you. It is far more than just changing a speed setting. Dell doesn't want anyone oc'ing their systems. The other issue is that NVidia boards are not all that great for overclocking either. My only suggestion is that you should tell Dell that they haven't provided the system you paid for, you're done with them, and demand a refund if you still have that option. You may need to go so far as threatening legal action to get them to do it. How effective that will be is questionable. You do have your receipt on your side though. I don't want to make you feel bad but, Dell's "gaming systems" sell to people who don't have alot of knowledge about computers or components. This is, unfortunately, the case with a number of companies that sell so called "gaming systems". They rely on the users inexperience and fancy marketing schemes and gimmicks to move systems. When a reputable computer shop won't touch a system, that should be a huge red flag. That "computer geek" ripped you off big time, IMHO.The only way to get a system that will overclock well is to either build it yourself or have one of the reputable boutique system builders build one for you. Companies selling off the shelf systems aren't going to provide a system that you can reliably OC yourself. I know a number of users in this forum can provide some info to get you going in the right direction with a reputable reseller, if that's the direction you choose to go.I'm sorry I can't give you better news.Best Regards,Jeff

Paul,as a former Dell on-site warranty technician I sympathize with your situation completely. Dell's phone support is among the worst in the business. I can recount horror stories of end-users spending hours a day on the phone with Dell for weeks at a time, fighting language barriers and internal policies that encourage stalling and straw-grasping in order to prevent on-site service calls. Their phone techs are taught to encourage a software reload as a first resort, which discourages proper troubleshooting of potential hardware faults, and often leads to unnecessary end-user data loss. With regard to your complaint about having to pay an expert for his expertise, I cannot agree, however. You can't rightfully fault a tech for doing precisely what you asked him to, regardless of how long it took him. You agreed to his pricing, and he delivered the results you sought. If you felt you did not get proper value for your money, you should've addressed this while the tech was still there. In the future I hope you'll visit the forums for some free advice before resorting to paying. Regards,Max

Paul,as a former Dell on-site warranty technician I sympathize with your situation completely. Dell's phone support is among the worst in the business. I can recount horror stories of end-users spending hours a day on the phone with Dell for weeks at a time, fighting language barriers and internal policies that encourage stalling and straw-grasping in order to prevent on-site service calls. Their phone techs are taught to encourage a software reload as a first resort, which discourages proper troubleshooting of potential hardware faults, and often leads to unnecessary end-user data loss. With regard to your complaint about having to pay an expert for his expertise, I cannot agree, however. You can't rightfully fault a tech for doing precisely what you asked him to, regardless of how long it took him. You agreed to his pricing, and he delivered the results you sought. If you felt you did not get proper value for your money, you should've addressed this while the tech was still there. In the future I hope you'll visit the forums for some free advice before resorting to paying. Regards,Max

Paul Gugliotta

Well. it seems this Factory OC Del is extremely easy to OC. Just go into the BIOS and toggle up the CPU setting. On my other Dells, the BIOS doesn't have this option. But the BIOS on the new Dell is soooo easy. That was my question to the board. Change the CPU speed in the BIOS from 2.98 to 3.78 per the original specs and AM I all set, or do I need to do something?What I did find out is the PC is stable with FSX and LD767. I am getting ~50 fps with the 2D view with the setting cranked up to 50-75%. I get 70-80 fps with the default Cessna 172. So performance-wise I can complain.Dell's lame response left me cold. The Dell tech said it take weeks to OC a system and they simply refused support . I did it in 10 seconds.Again - it was meant to be OC to 3.78 GHz per the original setup. The CPU is the same. So did I over-simplify the process or am I missing the entire picture (by just upping the CPU speed in the BIOS)?Paul

Paul Gugliotta

Well. it seems this Factory OC Del is extremely easy to OC. Just go into the BIOS and toggle up the CPU setting. On my other Dells, the BIOS doesn't have this option. But the BIOS on the new Dell is soooo easy. That was my question to the board. Change the CPU speed in the BIOS from 2.98 to 3.78 per the original specs and AM I all set, or do I need to do something?What I did find out is the PC is stable with FSX and LD767. I am getting ~50 fps with the 2D view with the setting cranked up to 50-75%. I get 70-80 fps with the default Cessna 172. So performance-wise I can complain.Dell's lame response left me cold. The Dell tech said it take weeks to OC a system and they simply refused support . I did it in 10 seconds.Again - it was meant to be OC to 3.78 GHz per the original setup. The CPU is the same. So did I over-simplify the process or am I missing the entire picture (by just upping the CPU speed in the BIOS)?Paul
Paul,it's possible that there are settings in the BIOS which can only be accessed by a technician (such as voltage options) which may need to be adjusted in order to deliver a completely stable overclock, though I'm not sure how you could access those and I doubt Dell would tell you if they do exist. Your only hope here is to attempt to get the issue escalated, perhaps via customer service.