Sign in to follow this  
maxter

Replacement For Phil Taylor?

Hi all,Just wondering if Microsoft has appointed a replacement for Phil Taylor and if so, what is the level of his involvement in the community.Phil was excellent, a patient and understanding fellow who appeared as open and honest as his corporate rules and regulations would appear to let him.The Pre FSX period was a bonanza of MS involvement and I wonder what the period leading up to the next version will be like. I don't suppose we will hear anything for quite a while yet, if at all, as there has been no official announcement of a new version to date as far as I am aware.Cheers,

Well...As to whether or not there is a one-person replacement for Phil (which would be some very hard shoes to fill, I agree), I don't know. All I will say is this...My "sources" tell me there are some very capable people, some with long involvement in these forums, and who have made some significant contributions to the FSX experience already, have been "added" to the "development team(s)" for FS11. My personal integrity, and the trust they have placed in me not to divulge their names, prevents me from saying anything more. If and when Microsoft, and/or the individuals themselves, wish to disclose "who they are", then an announcement will probably be made.In the meantime, I'm not worried about FS11. Based on some of those "who they are", I think the community is going to be in for a big surprise when FS11 comes out.FalconAFEDIT: No...I'm not one of those "who they are". So don't ask! :(

Rick Ryan

Well...As to whether or not there is a one-person replacement for Phil (which would be some very hard shoes to fill, I agree), I don't know. All I will say is this...My "sources" tell me there are some very capable people, some with long involvement in these forums, and who have made some significant contributions to the FSX experience already, have been "added" to the "development team(s)" for FS11. My personal integrity, and the trust they have placed in me not to divulge their names, prevents me from saying anything more. If and when Microsoft, and/or the individuals themselves, wish to disclose "who they are", then an announcement will probably be made.In the meantime, I'm not worried about FS11. Based on some of those "who they are", I think the community is going to be in for a big surprise when FS11 comes out.FalconAFEDIT: No...I'm not one of those "who they are". So don't ask! :(
I've been gone from the community for a while, but what happened to Phil? I never directly spoke to him, but he was probably the only developer of FS that I had ever seen out in the public. Makes a guy think, how often do you see George Bush out at the local walmart without Secret Service just shopping like a normal citizen?

Based on some of those "who they are", I think the community is going to be in for a big surprise when FS11 comes out.FalconAF
Thanks for the comments Falcon. care to share what you think those surprises may be?Cheers,

I've been gone from the community for a while, but what happened to Phil?
Gone to Intel - This is his new blog.

Thanks for the comments Falcon. care to share what you think those surprises may be?Cheers,
No. But given the fact that computer technology advances have progressed over the past decade to where it once took 4 years for a computer to "double it's speed", and now that happens in less than one year, and the fact that FS11 probably won't be seen for at least another 1 and 1/2 years, anybody who honestly expects to be able to "max everything out" on ANY computer available when FS11 is released is dreaming. It will be the same as always...if you want to be able to max everything out with FS11, you probably won't be able to do it for at LEAST a year after it is released...if not longer.But boy oh boy...are you gonna have some great CHOICES to make with FS11 in the meantime while you wait for that hardware that WILL be able to "max it out".FalconAF

Rick Ryan

I've been gone from the community for a while, but what happened to Phil? I never directly spoke to him, but he was probably the only developer of FS that I had ever seen out in the public.
Beatle (Tim) is around here every once in a Blue Moon. :)Also the MVPs are around some, and they have their finger in the pie a little more than they would like to admit sometimes.There are a few others on other FS sites tooSince FS11 will drop the software rendering architecture, and also drop the 2 versions back philosophy, then I think things are looking better right from the start. Also, FS11 is going to benefit from Train Sim 2 development. Bigtime I think.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Since FS11 will drop the software rendering architecture...
Since I'm not a technophile, could someone please explain this phrase and guess what it may be replaced by?With thanks,

Since I'm not a technophile, could someone please explain this phrase and guess what it may be replaced by?
Currently the image you see on screen is generated by the CPU (the computer's processor).He is hoping that the image rendering will be instead shifted to the GPU (the video card's processor).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Since I'm not a technophile,
I am neither but what is commonly understood by such statement is a belief that somehow FS11 will break from the current legacy code and deliver us a brand new rendering engine with high frame rates. At this point is just a 'belief' - there is no solid information to back such a claim. First, some people believe that legacy code in FSX is responsible for poor performance then they believe that starting from scratch is going to solve all the current pains. We know right now that with FS contrary to other games the biggest bottleneck is in memory/bandwith/CPU speed and what is needed from GPU are not fancy shaders but very high fillrates, so yes FS indeed puts different demands on hardware than other games. I subscribe to a rather different view that the only hope for drastically better frame rates is isolating processes in FS that can run in parallel and then employing the current family of muti-CPU computers to share the load and deliver better performance. FS11 could potentially make better use of such multi-CPU hardware but I think it all ultimately has little to do with 'legacy' or backward compatibility.

In Phil Taylor's blog, he once wrote that our FS began as a SOFTWARE RENDERING program. Basically, that means the sim was designed before 3D graphic cards, and so to render the image you see on the screen, it was all done in the CPU. A lot of old games had a software rendering option for those who did not have 3D cards...and it was slow potatoes using the soft renderer. That is kind of an abstraction but you get the point...So what does this mean for usWell, it means we have a sim today that has a heavy dependence on the cpu.When Phil blogged about that I was stunned. I should not have been...I should have realized this. I think I knew FS was based on a software renderer at one time, but forgot about it. The situation has improved with each version, but part of the underlying problem with FS performance and the way it uses our hardware resources, stems from the software rendering architecture.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Mace I had also forgotten that fs was using software rendering which means its using the cpu to do almost everything like the old games back then there weren't that many super graphic cards like we have today. this has been dragging down fs alot! I really hope that fs11 stops using software rendering and starts using the full potential of video cards shaders and direct x.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

but part of the underlying problem with FS performance and the way it uses our hardware resources, stems from the software rendering architecture.
I don't think current FSX has "software rendering architecture", I think that such a view is not only wrong but overly simplistic, nowhere in the blog it states that "software rendering" is somehow holding FS back but what you can read is explanation what makes FS so different from other games and why its architecture is simply different. This got to be the longest living perpetual myth on this forum about FS doing excessive amount of graphic rendering in software.

Hi all,Just wondering if Microsoft has appointed a replacement for Phil Taylor and if so, what is the level of his involvement in the community.Phil was excellent, a patient and understanding fellow who appeared as open and honest as his corporate rules and regulations would appear to let him.The Pre FSX period was a bonanza of MS involvement and I wonder what the period leading up to the next version will be like. I don't suppose we will hear anything for quite a while yet, if at all, as there has been no official announcement of a new version to date as far as I am aware.Cheers,
I can just see lots of people jumping in line to fill Phil's job after they read the job description-and perhaps a few threads from the past....He will be sorely missed.

Guest Nick_N
I can just see lots of people jumping in line to fill Phil's job after they read the job description-and perhaps a few threads from the past....
He will be sorely missed.
I very much agree.. was one of the best things to happen to FSX and I hope his work in the background will trickle into the next edition