Sign in to follow this  
Guest cloudflyer

Need Help Installing New Cpu Cooler

Guest cloudflyer

The Cooler Master V8 arrived today. However, it did not make allowances for installation on the Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 motherboard.Look at the back of the board. It has a backplate type heatsink.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...DN%26ie%3DUTF-8The V8 supplies a LGA775 socket backplate, but the screws are not long enough to mount the backplate over the rear heatsink.http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/d...v8_4.html#sect0Options:-I can leave the rear heatsink on and just put the nuts on the back to mount the HS/f. I'm concerned about the board warping from the weight.-I can get screws that are longer and install the V8 with the backplate over the rear heatsink.-I can cut the section of the rear heatsink away where the backplate would go and leave the section over the northbridge.Any advice appreciated.Michael

This review site tested the Coolermaster V8 on the exact same motherboard. Can you remove the rear heatsink? It isn't necessary for operation by any means, and actually serves as the stock backplate. You definitely don't need 2 backplates.

Guest cloudflyer

Thanks for the reply. I called Gigabyte. Nice people. Bottom line is I cut the rear heatsink to leave the small section under the northbridge. With a tiny trim of the case edge the V8 fits. Looks great and is virtually silent. Initially saw a 3-6 degree drop at idle.

Guest ziporama
Thanks for the reply. I called Gigabyte. Nice people. Bottom line is I cut the rear heatsink to leave the small section under the northbridge. With a tiny trim of the case edge the V8 fits. Looks great and is virtually silent. Initially saw a 3-6 degree drop at idle.
On my X38 DQ6, I removed my entire backplate to mount my water cooler, same issue with the screws. It would be nice for Gigabyte to use a standard backplate mount so that the coolers can fit nicely.I also added an extra fan on the north bridge's heatsink on the up side to compensate.Etienne