Sign in to follow this  

System hangs after 5 minutes or so!

What's going on? I've recently upgraded to a P4 2.8 gig, with 1 gig of DDR Ram, an NVidia GeForce 4 128 mb graphic card, SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Player card, 60 gig hard drive, Windows XP and all the other good bits, only to find that I appear to be worse off than with my old system in terms of FS2002. The system hangs and just plays a stupid noise and won't even allow a CTRL/ALT/DELETE.I've disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS, reduced the sound acceleration, defragged, downloaded every imaginable driver, pulled out my hair and even uninstalled every last FS and associated program file! Nothing will fix it. Shall I trash my new machine, or can anyone out there help? I do seem to be reading that loads of people are having the same problem. P.S. Yes, I have tried the Detonator drivers for the graphics card, enabled, disabled anistropic filtering etc.etc. Aaaarrrghhh!!

"The system hangs and just plays a stupid noise and won't even allow a CTRL/ALT/DELETE."You have a heat problem my friend.It is more than likely the new CPU or the video card. You should check to see that the heatsinks and fans are cooling properly.Can you run other 3D games with your new system?Jay

Thanks for the reply. I had already read somewhere that heat might be a problem. However, this is a brand new machine - I use it to edit video and burn DVD's and lot's of other processor and video vard intensive programs. The fans seem to be running fine. I read the other day that someone actually removed the side of his machine and used two large room fans to blow inside the case, to no avail. (he had the same problem of hanging as I do).Personally, I'm convinced it's some GeForce graphics card conflict with the motherboard, but that's hard to tell. Given the amount of money that's invested in this machine, I have half a mind to go out and buy the new ATI 9700 card.I will try to run other 3d games, if I can find any. I wasn't sure whether you had the identical problem and, if you did, how did you get the machine cooler?

All I know is when you are running any 3D game or application and the video freezes and the last second of sound just loops over and over, something has most likely overheated.I have seen systems that would run all day with programs in 2D but as soon as 3D gets fired up, the system overheats and freezes.The fact that it is a brand new machine and it locks like you described is exactly what makes me believe it is heat. Did you build it or buy it from a manufacturer? If you built it, did you properly mount the heatsink on the CPU? The fan could be running fine but if the heatsink is not mounted properly you could experience heat issues.As far as having the identical machine and problem, I don't. I have dealt with heat issues in the past. The symptoms are always the same. The machine will run just fine at the windows desktop. All programs in 2D, even video, won't cause any trouble. Then you run a 3D app and the combined heat from the CPU and video card is just too much and the system freezes with looping sound and no ctrl-alt-del functionality.The guy that took the side off his case and pointed room fans at it was troubleshooting the issue exactly how I would. I suggest you do the same. If you can run it like that then you have a heat issue. You could also get a program called Motherboard Monitor and let it show you temperatures while in 3D games.Hope this helps.Jay

I had the same problem after the same as you re upgrading, went for a Radeon 9500 pro graphics card though. Fixed my problem last night with DirectX 9, had tried everything else and thought what the hell. Don't know if it will work for you but I've just completed an 8 hour+ transatlantic flight with no problems. Just create a restore point before you install, got to cover all the options.Phil

Jay,I reported some time ago that I was having the exact same problem you posted. I tried everything, but to no avial. My system ran perfect all Windows program. However after about an hour into FS, it would freeze and yes I would get that funny sound. My system is a P4/1.7ghz, 512Rambus RAM, nVidia 4200ti/64 video card, SB Live card. Prior to my installing the 4200 it never froze. I took the covers off my system, put a high powered fan pointed right at the cpu and the video card, they now run almost "cold" and I have never had as much as a hickup from the system running hours with FS2002.I am convinced that you have a heat problem. Where is your system installed? My system is under a desk and the air was still and got quite hot. Even a new system may not have enough air flow to keep these new cards and cpu's cool enough.I would try a flight with the covers off and any type of fan, just for kicks to see if helps.CheersBob

JayOK. Many thanks. I'm convinced. I'll get some cold air in there and see how I go. Not right now, though. It's 01.10 in the morning. All the best.Geoffrey.

BobThanks to you, too. I'll have it like Siberia inside the case and then, fingers crossed!CheersGeoffrey Carter

PhilJust to say, thanks to you, too. If I get no luck with cooling, it's a new card for me. Before I spend good money on a new card, I intend to fully explore the overheating route. My tower unit is under a desk with limited airflow at present. Anyway - happy flying. Glad you're up and running.Geoffrey Carter.