Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Autogen = Blurred Textures?

I have noticed from many screenshots and my own attempts at tweaking FSX, that whenever any degree of autogen is turned on, the sim seems incapable of maintaining the sharp 1m textures. If autogen is turned off, then ground textures remain sharp. Does anyone know of any settings which will help give some autogen and also maintain sharp ground textures? I have read that GEX goes someway to helping this by using only selective autogen placement...is that the answer?Could anyone using GEX show some comparison shots of same area? I am eagerly awaiting GEX for Europe, but seems to be taking some time to release.Regards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Which makes sense....If you turn down/off autogen you are eliminating that process, so the CPU doesn't have to work as hard. Therefore the textures load faster. On my own system, at around 200kias the textures start to blur. That's why I say FSX is much more of a GA simulator hehe, low n slow...What sort of system are you running now? You might just need to upgrade your CPU

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Does anyone know of any settings which will help give some autogen and also maintain sharp ground textures?
Stuart,There are several reasons that this could be happening, but I suspect the most likely source is:1) Not enough CPU ... followed by either2) Not enough RAM3) Slow hard drive speed4) virus scanner scanning your scenery directories as scenery loads.I just recently upped my FSX to a quad-core processor and am pleasantly surprised with the resulting improvement in my ability to have more autogen and also maintain sharp ground textures around me as I fly ... but even with the quad core, I can't have my sliders turned all the way up.Guess we'll have to wait for the 32-core Intel processor they've no doubt already invented, but won't sell yet.

Thanks guys for your input. I think that simpy supports my own theory - that I need to upgrade my hardware! Doh! Not an option at present I'm afraid. I am only running a single core AMD Athlon CPU +- 2.4 mhz, XFX 7600GT 256mb graphics and 2MB DDR RAM. Seems that Autogen is not an option for me! Still I much prefer the sharp 1m textures (either default or photo) once around 500 ft+ off the ground. It would have been nice to have some trees and buildings when at ground level, but not at the expence of blurry ground textures.I guess only other option is to try the reduced size of autogen textures (buildings & trees) available in the library and reduce the number of autogen loaded via the TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_* tweak.Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373