Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

User Ratings / Rank

If you look at the left side of your display while in the forums and looking at threads and messages, you will see "PIPS", those little gray'ish graphic thingys that visually represent where you stand in the hierarchy of membership. Newbies have one, and in the current system, the highest has three. In addition, you will also see the ranking called out as a phrase; newbie, members, advanced member, etc. These two values, the number of PIPS and the user ranking are both determined by messages posted. The more messages you have posted, the higher in rank you achieve.Here are the questions; Do we want to modify this ranking system to something related to aviation? Or, something else? I really have am ambivalent about doing something along the lines of "Student Pilot", "SEL Rated", "Twin Rated", etc. etc., so am looking for ideas. So, do we want a ranking system? And... what suggestions do you have about how we would implement it?

Guest RonB49

I think not. Forums that make too much of this seem unfriendly to newcomers. It is fine like it is. R-

Guest Jeffhew

I guess it would be ok to change things up a bit. Maybe we could have student, private pilot, commercial pilot, and ATP. My only concern is that it might create an environment wherein lower ranked members opinions are diminished in favor of the senior guys. I suppose that already happens now to some degree though. I just wouldn't want to lose the community atmosphere that has always separated AVSIM from the other FS forums. Unlike many of the others, it seem like everyone that comes here feels comfortable participating in discussions without regard to seniority or status. So, if we do make any change, I think it should only be in the titles, and it should still only be based on messages posted, if anything. I think everyone already looks at that as a measure of forum status anyway, rightly or wrongly. Alot of folks have been around here a long time without posting very much. I know in my case, I've been a member since the late nineties, with various screen names and such. It's only been in the last year that I have really participated in discusions to any great degree. From that perspective, it seems that any kind of rank structure would be unfair to some. Maybe reserve ATP for exclusive use by the Mods so that they stand out a bit in a discussion. Obviously , Students would be newbies. They could achieve Pilot status after say, 100 posts. Commercial Pilots would have two or three hundred posts. Just my two cents Tom.Best Regards,Jeff

Personally, I have never been a fan of the post counter (or ranking systems) at all on any forum. Other than telling you how many times somebody has hit 'add post' it really tells you nothing helpful about the poster. I have always associated 'rank' as a position earned by deed and not by sheer number of postings.I vote for no ranking system :(

It adds nothing to the site IMO and there are too many who put value into, where there is none. At *another site* they changed their forum software and while the user name and password I had worked for file downloads, it didn't work for the forum. I re-signed up at the forums and commented on a particular thread, only to be massively flamed by the OP as a n00b and one with so few postings. Had to illustrate that my original sign up date was before the flamers.Some people are motivated to attain the next level by submitting less than valuable posting, after posting, after posting. This goes against my philosophy of it's not the quantity of the postings, but the quality. And if I had my way I'd do away with the posting counters.

Guest lgvpilot1

I have to agree with all the above posters The post count and comment can seem like a badge of honour to some people and as others have stated perfectly good advise or tips are diminished because said poster is a "nOOb"So its no from me , but thanks for finding different ways to try to improve the forum Mark(still a nOOb) :(

Guest j-mo

I'm also in agreement with those who have replied so far. I understand how the thought of an aeronautical theme could be considered, but a system without ranks, in my opionion, is classier.Regards,Alex M.

Same here, I agree, the current ranking system is good enough. For instance I registered about a year ago and I pass as an advanced member same as someone who is here since 2002, it's already too good :( And as said earlier why should posts count anyway, some people are busy working while others such as myself have more free time to spend here on Avsim.Thanks for bringing suggestions to improve the Avsim experience though.

I think it should stay as it is.Hmm, however through an aviation related ranking I could finally get my pilot license!! :( Cheers,Wolfgang

Guest Beecho

I agree with those members who wish to retain the present system. I judge a post by its content ,with little or no thought given to the posters rank.Beecho

In addition, you will also see the ranking called out as a phrase; newbie, members, advanced member, etc.
Tom, I just saw that there is is no phrase ranking beneath my avatar. There is only my nick wolfko" ??Cheers,Wolfko

Guest fullstoplanding

It isn't perfect, but for now I would let it be. As for aviation-related labels such as Student Pilot and so forth, no. Even though it seems that most of the forum members are virtual pilots, labeling a new member who may be a Captain on a major carrier Student Pilot ????? :( --Roger

Guest RonB49
Tom, I just saw that there is is no phrase ranking beneath my avatar. There is only my nick wolfko" ??Cheers,Wolfko
Hi Wolfgang,It is likely that you clicked on My Controls, then edited your Profile. You can put whatever you want on that line. R-

Hi Wolfgang,It is likely that you clicked on My Controls, then edited your Profile. You can put whatever you want on that line. R-
Aah, I see! Many thanks Ron!I htought this was automatically generated depending on the amount of posts! Have changed it now!Cheers, Wolfgang

Guest TheAviator

Fellow Flight Sim Enthusiast,As this is my second post on the AVSIM forums I feel it is nice to see the remarks I have above. I am not new to the FS world but have made a recent goal of communicating better and broadening my friendships within the Flight Sim community. With that said I too think that post counts or ranking titles should not be that big of a deal. I think it would be fine to change it to something more aviation related but maybe try not to make it a hierarchy. Maybe just name them something random to do with Aviation. This way when you reach post 750 you just change to a different name. I think the inputs of the most senior post as well as the newest poster (maybe me today) are just as valuable.I applaud AVSIM for their professionalism and keeping the new guy in mind with this effort! Thanks and glad to be here!Johnwww.TheAviatorMag.com