Sign in to follow this  
maximus92

Atc Vectoring Question As It Relates To The Afcad

I have BP Simulation's KIAD scenery addon installed in FSX. I have it completely updated to have the new runway in the correct position, and so on. The other day I made a flight from KATL to KIAD in SGA's MD-88, and ATC vectored me way to close to the new runway. I was still making my decent to capture the glideslope and I was almost on top of the airport. This caused me to be way over, then under as the AP tried to compensate my decent. It made for a hell of a mess of a landing. Anyhow, this is unusual for me in FSX as ATC usually gives me plenty of room to get to my assigned altitude, before having to cap the GS. So I'm wondering if the AFCAD or something in the scenery files tells the ATC where to place the plane for it's finals? This being a runway not native to FSX, and ATC is dumbfounded. Or am I dealing with an AI controlled ATC that may have had one too many? :(

So when you completely updated the airport file, you also updated all the approach data? Or did you just move the runway and expect everything else to follow along with it?

I haven't done anything. This is Blueprint Simulations addon scenery. It would appear that they added the new runway, and did nothing else. So, there is a way for me to go in and correct it? Is it a simple AFCAD edit, or is it deeper?

Oh, when you said "I have it completely updated to have the new runway in the correct position, and so on." it gave the impression you had done the airport modifications.Approach code is a manual writing of XML code, at this time.Have you contacted the vendor with your question?

Not yet, this was more out of curiosity, to see if it was simple enough that i could correct it myself. Contacting them is my next step, thanks for the info.

The ILS localizer and glideslope are not "attached" to the runway. If you use Afcad to move the runway, you have to move the localizer and glideslope with it so they will still be properly aligned. The folks who made the scenery you're using may have forgotten to do this, and that may account for the problem you described...ATC "sees" the localizer and glideslope in their original locations. You can view (and then move) the localizer and glideslope in Afcad by choosing Navaids from the View menu.

ATC has a preference order for runways based on wind and approach type. For a runway with the typical ILS approach, ATC uses the altitude and position of the final approach fix listed in the approach as a target for vectoring. This can also be seen by opening the GPS and loading the ILS approach for the runway with "vectors-to-final".When a runway and/or ILS is moved, renumbered, or new approach issued ATC nor the GPS will use it as modified without going in and modifying the approach code. The code is contained within the default APX airport data (commonly referred to as afcad) but AFCAD knows nothing about approaches.Fixing an approach involves deleting the default one, decoding it, and adding/moving waypoints and/or changing runway designations as necessary or creating a new approach from scratch.At default KIAD in FSX, for example, Rwy 19R has an ILS with FAF FEMKO @ 457.2m altitude. That approach now is for Rwy 19C. In this case just the runway related data must be changed. The new ILS rwy 19R must be developed with the FAF waypoint of MULKY @ 1700ft altitude. The new waypoints must be added (BEEZY, LAUGH, CLAYY, MULKY).Same of course on the other end, and if you also want the RNAV you will to code those as well. No idea how BP did it.scott s..