Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeffhew

New Version Question

Guest Jeffhew

A quick question for Damian or Jim. In regards to Activesky (FS9) and FSBuild. Would it be possible for you to get together with Ernie and find a way to export the winds to FSBuild without having to load up the sim first? I like to do my flightplan before I get the sim running and currently, FSBuild only reads the weather that is loaded into the sim already. Oh, and the huge new feature, it wouldn't happen to be the AS flightplan and engine forecasting the weather at the time of arrival at the destination would it? I had mentioned to Jim a loooong time ago that it would be nice if AS could look at the expected weather at the ETA and have it transition from current to the forecast. For example, it might be sunny and warm at my destination now but, in two hours when I get there, it's forecast to be overcast and raining. Will the weather transition smoothly/realistically in anticipation of the weather yet to be loaded? Thanks guys. When it comes to taking care of your customers, you're the best, hands down!Best Regards,Jeff *EDIT* Not sure why the previous thread was locked. It's not an advertisement when it's posted in the support forum for the product. It's no different than any other commercial developer letting their supporters know what they're working on. Was PMDG advertising when they were posting about the MD-11 in their support forum? Is JD advertising RC5 in the RC support forum. It would be different if Damian were posting this in the PMDG forum. I mean, c'mon, get a grip.

Hi Jeff, access to wind data as active in AS has always been available to any developer. The data is in current-wx-snapshot.txt located in the appdata\Microsoft\FSX folder.If the station is reporting data, yes, the conditions will smoothly change according to new reported data. Available in online real-time or historical modes. If the station is not reporting data, the interpolation from other nearby reporting stations is used. In the new version of Active Sky the interpolation processes are greatly advanced over the previous versions. TAF information is always available via the weather reports and briefing reports.As to the thread issue, I think it was a mistake and we are seeking clarification from AVSIM. This is our own privately moderated forum.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Jeffhew
Hi Jeff, access to wind data as active in AS has always been available to any developer. The data is in current-wx-snapshot.txt located in the appdata\Microsoft\FSX folder.If the station is reporting data, yes, the conditions will smoothly change according to new reported data. Available in online real-time or historical modes. If the station is not reporting data, the interpolation from other nearby reporting stations is used. In the new version of Active Sky the interpolation processes are greatly advanced over the previous versions. TAF information is always available via the weather reports and briefing reports.
Thanks Damian, I know the TAF has always been there. What I meant was, If I arrive at my destination ten minutes before the weather actually updates to the new METAR, will the storms that are coming at the next update, be seen rolling into the area from the distance, as opposed to just suddenly changing from sunny blue sky to stormy overcast? I hope that's what you meant by "greatly advanced". It won't matter I guess as my credit card is being warmed up already. :( Thanks for the quick response at this late (for me) hour.
As to the thread issue, I think it was a mistake and we are seeking clarification from AVSIM. This is our own privately moderated forum.Best,
That's what I thought. This was really a new one to me.Thanks again.All the Best,Jeff

I fire up ASV and let it get the current weather, then load up FSBuild - FSB uses the directory path to ASV to get the current weather just loaded - if not, then entering the ASV path in the FSB options would be pointless...DJ

Guest Jeffhew
I fire up ASV and let it get the current weather, then load up FSBuild - FSB uses the directory path to ASV to get the current weather just loaded - if not, then entering the ASV path in the FSB options would be pointless...DJ
Thank you DJ. You are, of course, correct. The problem for me was the manner in which I load up the weather. My bad! I use offline weather quite a bit but, don't hit refresh until I'm in the sim. I do process the route pre fs startup but that wasn't enough. All's well now. Thanks againRegards,Jeff

You're entirely welcome... I like your concept for smooth weather transitions, by the way - that would be pretty cool!DJ