Sign in to follow this  

VASI help

Can anyone tell me the distance to be at to start getting on the VASI "glide slope"? As for altitude I'm assuming you should be somewhere around traffic pattern altitude. Thanks. William

Guest Cpt_Simoty

If your talking about flying about in the cessna under VFR then the rule ve always been taught is this:When your flying down wind at pattern altitude e.g 1800AGL then fly downwind until the strip is 135 degrees behind you (basically you can see the threshold over your right/left shoulder our of your back seat window. The turn base. The some times you maybe be too low or high but just make a correction based on this. In VFR you dont have to land your self spot on. Thats why the VASI lights are there. The idea is to be correcting the altitude through out the end of the downwind and base so that when you turn finals your red red white white. In flightsim its harder as your only lookinf forward.In IFR its different. To fly correctly at each airport your will require the landing chart for the airport. This will tell you how high to be and how far out to be when your intercept the glideslope. Typically what will happen is you line up on the LOC when below the glideslope. Nect you intercept the glideslope and fly down that.Hope this helpsSimon

In VFR conditions, I would expect to see them at the Traffic Pattern Altitude and follow into landing, assuming a stright-in approach.

Hey, thanks alot fellows! I had forgot about flying the pattern. Well not forgot but have been doing alot of straight-ins lately and it has caught up with me now. Back to the patterns. William