Sign in to follow this  
krishcanag

Should I Buy More Ram?

HiI have been running FSX for a few days and find that in task manager (32-bit XP HOME) I have about 500MB free RAM and my PF is around 1.2GB used, this compares with FS2004 where I have about 1.2GB free RAM and about 300MB used in PF. Since its 32 bit is there still any point in buying 2 more GB of RAM? Will it make any difference to performance. Or am I much better of changing to vista 32 or 64 (please tell which on) and buying the RAM then. Trouble is I also want to use FS2004, not sure if that would be worse of with vista anything!krishanGigabyte EP45-DS4E8500 running at 4GHz2GB Corsair 1066 8500 running at 1006MHzXFX 260GTX

Guest ziporama

Hello,To go beyond 2Gb would be a good idea for FSX to avoid potential out of memory errors (OOM) especially as it looks like your system can handle higher levels of detail. Moving to 4Gb of memory will require a 64 bit operating system so all memory can be seen. I'd recommend Vista 64 for this purpose as it has more support than XP 64 with regards to drivers these days. Many issues with early adopters of Vista 64 are now solved as the hardware and software manufacturers have finally caught up, although you may run into is some annoyance related to ultra tight security in Vista 64 specifically. You can turn off a lot of it such as UAC which makes things more tolerable. Also, a few applications and utilities you may have may need to be upgraded to run in Vista, such as your antivirus software.Regards,Etienne

Guest Mower

Have been on Vista 64 bit for a year now and agree with the above, V64 is a stable platform now, great for FSX, all drivers exist now, no OOM errors, sees my 8 GB RAM (though FSX will still only actually use 2 GB).

HiI have been running FSX for a few days and find that in task manager (32-bit XP HOME) I have about 500MB free RAM and my PF is around 1.2GB used, this compares with FS2004 where I have about 1.2GB free RAM and about 300MB used in PF. Since its 32 bit is there still any point in buying 2 more GB of RAM? Will it make any difference to performance. Or am I much better of changing to vista 32 or 64 (please tell which on) and buying the RAM then. Trouble is I also want to use FS2004, not sure if that would be worse of with vista anything!krishanGigabyte EP45-DS4E8500 running at 4GHz2GB Corsair 1066 8500 running at 1006MHzXFX 260GTX
I would waste money on Vista.Using 4 gig of system memory with the /3gb and /userva parameters in the boot.ini file should help the sim run better.

XP only sees about 3.5 or less gigs, but it does utilize what it doesn't see to a point. So four gigs under XP would be better. But I agree, it's sweet to see all 8 gigs under Vista 64.