Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

The DEATH of Meigs Field?!

Guest Tim13

Check out the "Friends of Meigs" website, and you can see a live webcam of the runway with big trenches in the form of "X's" across the runway. Tim13

Here's another link for info:http://www.wbbm780.com/asp/ViewMoreDetails.asp?ID=20763And, according to our reporter, The FAA says it knew nothing in advance. Evidently, the "deal" Mayor Daley had with the former governor to keep Meigs open for 25 years was only a handshake, nothing on paper. Initial reaction is that a court challange probably would not stand. btw, there are a dozen light aircraft parked at Meigs...with no way to get out, except for a taxiway which some are suggesting could be used a temporary takeoff ramp...anyone working on a patch?one more thing...the drumbeat has already started locally to position Gary as the logical replacement for Meigs. Sherm

...and I thought Providence, RI had an unethical mayor.Wouldn't mind seeing Daley join our Cianci in the federal pen for his underhanded acts. I seriously hope that legal action works in the airport's favor, however doubtful. I'd like nothing more than to have a court rule that the airport was destroyed illegally, and the city have to fix 'er up. Nice new pavement. Dare to dream, I know.Looks like taxiway takeoffs for the stranded aircraft!-Greg

Guest skylanepilot

Also check www.aopa.org and www.eaa.org for news from the GA community.I personally feel that no airport in or around the Chicago area should be a candidate for the new default in Century of Flight. Chicago is no friend of aviation and should not be recognized at all.My personal choice for a new default would be Cincinatti's Burke Lakefront (KBKL) - the next best lakefront airport - although that airport is under fire as well from local politicians.What really ####### me off is that I was planning on flying to Oshkosh this year and stopping at Meigs along the way. As it stands now, I'm going to have to flight plan my way around Illinois. I refuse to pay a dime in taxes through any business or service in that state that might remotely wind up in Mayor Daley's coffers.Boycott Chicago!!

It looks to be about 16 or so GA planes sitting on the south apron. I suppose a taxi takoff will work. This whole situation could get ugly when the aircraft owners, AOPA, the FAA, Vendors at the airport, etc get their say and legal actions. sad, very sad.See ya,Kathy.Born to Fly.My Dad, Me, My Son.____________________http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e8870533d8954f8.jpg

and this is a free country, give me a break. They agreed to keep meigs till 2006 and now this????? homeland security...... right, it's so sad:(

Guest Delta_747

>Cincinatti's Burke Lakefront (KBKL)Cincinnati's not on a lake. I think you mean Cleveland.

Guest DanWalloch

This has got to be the worst hate crime in aviation history. Why the heck would you destroy millions in annual income and the only logical acess to chicago's downtown / eastside. The point of that airport was to save passengers the hour it takes to get from O'hare or Midway. The mayor is a real A$$ and should be locked up. Does anyone know if there are any jets or turboprops stuck there.

Guest DanWalloch

I just called Channel 12 news in Milwaukee, WI and told them about this event and they didn't know. So if you live up here in Milwaukee, you just might see it on the noon, 5 and 10 news. I hope that they send the news chopper to get pics.

A very agitated Mayor Daley is holding a news conference as I type this. In clipped language, he reiterates his determination that meigs poses a risk to the city...saying, among other things, that having a control tower at meigs is no protection for the city because it is..."not armed." Daley says the city notified the FAA and Dept of Homeland Security. Asked about the middle of the night move to tear up the runway, Daley denied it was 'stormtrooper" tactics...asked again why he did not do it during daylight, Daleyis saying as I type this that it was appropriate action, and another city official says that for people in the hi rise bldgs near the lakefront, the action is not soon enough. asked when decision to destroy meigs was made Daley says, the decision was..."made appropriately in the last few days." he denies any subtrafuge in not announcing it when the decision was made... just another business as usual day in Chicaaga....Sherm

you have to admit it is a threat to downtown Chicago. Ever since the first version of FS we've known that it only takes about 30 seconds to take off on Rwy 36 and crash into the Sears tower. I don't see anyway to eliminate that possibility. Some sicko could load their plane with explosives, stop at Meigs for fuel and 30 seconds be on their way to Mecca (or hell, more likely). What makes it the most unique airport in the US, IMO, also makes it one of the riskiest from a homeland security viewpoint. I don't support Daley one bit for his lack of backbone in debating this through proper channels. I hope AOPA can nail him somehow, but I think if this had gone through proper channels the public would have turned against Meigs. I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion here but I think it is important to look at this from both sides.David