Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

New PC Question

After debating which PC was best, I decided that the one with the following spec was more suited to my needs, but I need to know, is there anything in the following spec that should be avoided? Please be aware that I don't have any options as to changing things, as it is a pre-built computer, and is at the limit of my budget, so I cannot, for example, go putting in an ATI Radeon 9700Pro, or anything like that. I would just like to know if there are any potential problems with this system.Also, would I notice significant performance increases in FS over my old computer?My old computer is:P4 1.5GHz256Mb RDRAMNVidia GeForce 2 400MX 32Mb Graphics CardWindows MEI would post the type of Motherboard, but I don't have a clue what it is!The one I am thinking of upgrading to is:P4 2.6GhzAsus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard with NForce-2 chipset (according to what I've read!)512Mb DDR 333MHz RAMATI Radeon 9600TX 128Mb(apparently it is really a 9500Pro)Windows XP Homelots of other goodies.CheersMalcolm

Malcolm.. something is not quite right here.. I believe the A7N8X is an AMD processor board.. The ASUS P4 boards start with P, the AMD boards with A..the P4G8X is the newest Asus P4 board, but expensive.A really good, affordable P4 board is the P4PE..

Bert

Have you looked into Alienware? www.alienware.comIf you are looking for a gaming computer these are them. Worth a peek to see what they have under the hood....

I must have been looking at the spec for the other one I was thinking about when I typed the first post - sorry.Here is an exact copy of the spec of the computer, according to a review of the PC on a German website (http://www.pcwelt.de/hardware/)Equipment: Intel Pentium 4 2.60 GHz;512Mb DDR RAM;Medion Radeon 9600TX (Basically a 9500Pro);Seagate ST3160021A 120Gb Hard disk @7200rpm Technical data: Manufacturer/product: Medion Titanium MD 8008 XL;Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.60 GHz;Motherboard: Medion MD5000 (MSI ms 6701);Chip set: SIS 648, 963; Bios version: Award v6.00PG;Memory: 512MB DDR 333MHz RAM made by Samsung;Non removable disk: Seagate ST3160021A with 120GB storage space;CD Rom(48x)/Dvd Rom(16x): Sony DDU1612 ; DVD burner: Pioneer Dvr-105 (Dvd rw/dvd r/dvd rom/cd r/cd rw/cd Rom 2x/4x/12x/16x/8x/32x); Graphics Card: Medion Radeon 9600TX (MSI Ms-8906);Chip: ATI Radeon 9600TX; 128 MB SDRAM 540MHz (effectively a 9500Pro)I have cleaned it up from how Alta Vista translated it (my German is awful), but, as far as I can tell, this is what it is, and it compares well to the flyer we got through the door.With this proper spec in mind, is there anything there that I should be careful of, bearing in mind that I CANNOT change anything, as it is a pre-built machine, made by Medion.CheersMalcolm