Sign in to follow this  
Guest Totalbeginner

Md11 Lsas?

Guest Totalbeginner

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to switch LSAS off? Maybe it's just me, but I don't find it works as advertised. It's supposed to provide attitude hold in pitch mode and automatic trim in this sitation when there is no control force present...it just doesn't work. Instead it makes flying this aircraft manually very difficult!Regards,Martin Neep

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to switch LSAS off? Maybe it's just me, but I don't find it works as advertised. It's supposed to provide attitude hold in pitch mode and automatic trim in this sitation when there is no control force present...it just doesn't work. Instead it makes flying this aircraft manually very difficult!Regards,Martin Neep
Works fine for me, maybe you need a reinstall.

The LSAS on my MD-11 works perfectly.You may need to reinstall the MD-11, possibly even FSX. It is possible to turn off the LSAS using the 4 LSAS buttons on the overhead panel, directly below the Yaw Damper switches.Sam

Guest D17S

Actually LSAS would be more akin to "pitch hold." It's most effective application is during approach where it can be used as a "rate hold" (i.e., if the airplane maintains pitch at a fixed airspeed, it will also maintain a rate of climb or descent). Here's it's magic. As you know, most glide slopes (at transport approach airspeeds) are maintained at ~ an 800FPM rate of descent. The trick with the MD11 (to stay on GS) is to maintain an 800FPM rate of descent once on-the-GS beam. Rate of Descent then becomes your primary indication. LSAS makes maintaining this 800FPM rate of descent a breeze. As the airplane floats up to a 700FPM rate, just give the column a nudge. Do NoT wait for GS to go off-dot. Watch the RATE indication. That gentle nudge will reaqure your desired 800FPM rate. Reverse for a sink to 900FPM. If you "fly" rate, you will stay on the GS dot. It will never move. Magic. In this application, LSAS works as a Very effective "Rate Hold" function. Don't fight it. Do not try to fly it like a normal airplane. Get onto the GS, then Focus on RATE. Just a gentle nudge/tug - then immediately release- . That's all it takes.

Check your joystick null zone and calibrate if required. If the system reads control displacement greater than a certain margin it will not do antyhing because it assumes thet you the pilot resumed control. This is a common problem with controls such as the CH yoke which have no centre detent (I know because I have one).Finally LSAS does NOT hold VS rate or FPA. It holds pitch attitude. Path angle and VS rate are a result of your current IAS / groudn speed.Best,Vangelis============================= E M V www.precisionmanuals.com=============================

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

The VSI is a performance instrument - you don't fly the aircraft on that. If you try and fly the VSI, you won't do very well.If you target the correct approach speed and pitch attitude for the weight and configuration, you'll nail the glide every time. HINT: Use GROUND SPEED as your speed reference.e.g.: GS of 170 kts.VS rate: (170/2) x 10 = 850 ft/min.Best regards,Robin.