Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

Male / Female Ratio

In viewing many posts I find that FS has a majority of male users. I am coming to this conclusion because many posts say things like,"...the sounds of my FS drive my significant other (wife, girl friend, etc.) nuts..." or "...my signifiant other cannot understand what I find so interesting about FS..." It is posts like these that lead me to believe there are not many female flight simmers. I know there are some women that flight sim, but you never know who they are because all our posts are pretty much anonymous. My real life flight instructor was a women, and in my opinion she was the best instructor I ever had. So don't misread this post as a male or female bash. What I think would be intereseting in knowing is there any female FSers out there that are as addicted to FSing as much as Males are addicted? Also, those women that are addicted to FS, do you have significant others that don't understand why you enjoy FS so much?Another question... Has FS ever caused a break up or divorce?Just a thought... I am in the boat of my wife doesn't understand why I enjoy FS so much. As long as my wife always comes first, she continues to be supportive of my habbit.

when I get home, I will post one of the funniest things ever written about the flight sim wife...stay tuned...Sherm

Guest Lindy

Hi... yes, I am a female flight simmer. There are several others that I know of but none of them seems to post very regularly.I can't say I'm QUITE as dedicated as some other simmers. I don't have a mock cockpit built or anything like that and have never flown online (yet). ;-) I use a stick and pedals. I prefer bush flying. I don't fly the large (or small) jets as I'm still practicing my helicopter flying. I do have a personal livery, created for me by a friend, and a small handful of "home base" sceneries sprinkled between Alaska and Montana.We're around, but I guess lots of female simmers must feel a bit intimidated by all the testosterone that flows around here! :-lol-Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Maybe it's a good idea to add the choice in the poll male or female.Than you can see how many woman are playing with FS.CeesMale

actually, this was posted last September by another flight simmer...and it is funny enough to share again:ShermDarling, I'm posting this message in your newsgroup, as I know this is the only way to get it to you since flight simulation entered our lives two years ago. The children are doing well. Our son is seven now and is a bright handsome boy. He has developed quite a flair for art. He drew a family portrait for a school project. All the figures were good, but yours was excellent. The computer, the model airplane, the chair, and the back of your head are rendered in detail and stunning accuracy. You would be very proud of him. As you'll recall, our precious little girl turned three in September. She still remembers that you spent the whole day with her on her birthday. What quality time it was for her when you allowed her to watch you recreate Amelia Earhart's last flight! She was so sorry that she crashed before your plane did, but she was *so* sleepy.Poor thing. When she asked how come Daddy's TV only had a grey picture, I told her you were staring at fog. Was I right? I'm also doing well. I went blonde about a year ago, and was delighted to learn that blondes really do have more fun. Lars, I mean Mr. Swenson the department head, has taken an interest in my career and has become a good friend to all of us. The house is in good shape. I had the living room painted last Spring. I'm not sure if you noticed it. I made the painters cut air holes in the drop cloths so you wouldn't be disturbed. They were very apologetic about splattering your charts. I've discovered that the household chores are much easier since you allow me to vacuum around you instead of using the feather duster that makes you sneeze ans streaks your goggles. I will be at the ski lodge this weekend with Lars and the kids. Don't worry darling, we have seperate bedrooms. He is very well aware that I am married. I'll try to call you. If the line is busy, I'll know that you are connected by modem to your flight instructor who is demonstrating advanced manuevers. ( I still can't believe that he's only thirteen. His parents must be very proud of him.) The housekeeper has been instructed to keep your coffeee cup filled and to give you a fresh straw every three hours.Just let her know when you're getting hungry, and she'll give you some frozen pizza to suck on. Good luck circumnavigating the world via the poles. Should be a fun weekend! See you Sunday night! Fondly, Carol (your wife)

Guest Rockcliffe

Hmmm. My wife must be using a pseudonym online....

>Maybe it's a good idea to add the choice in the poll male or >female. >Than you can see how many woman are playing with FS. If you go to our homepage and look on the left side of the page, there is a link to take our 2003 demographic survey and a link right under it to view the results so far. The second question asks gender and the females are definitely not represented too much, which is too bad.

Guest Tony_A

Just had a look at the survey so far:Male 99.3% or 9522 repliesFemale .7% or 64 replies

What is the demographic distribution by gender in the real aviation world? My guess is that the sim world is excessively male like most everything having to do with computers. As Scott said, it's unfortunate.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest RiddlePilot

Another step for the females...I believe I saw one on the "dark side" (controlling) in Atlanta the other night. I can't remember if she was logged on as an observer or staffing a position, but I saw it...I did, I did, I did!EDIT: I think it's wonderful to have female controllers with VATSIM. I always enjoy when I have the pleasure of being on frequency with a female controller in real life, as it is quite soothing if the flight is not going like it should.

Guest SlimDady

Yea avsim recently had a a little thing, questions about the user group and stuffAlmost all male less the 5% female

This might come off as sexist of me, but please believe me when I say it's not meant to be. Soon, I'm going to be getting a broadband connection, and soon after, I am going to get into some online flying with voice. I would LOVE to encounter a female controller! It would certainly break the monotony of an all male world (Sorry guys ;)).Even the Air Force considers a female voice to be calming. Hence the reason why "##### Betty" isn't "Griping Ralph" :-lolCheers!JonathanKATL