Sign in to follow this  
Guest lionheart777

Improved, Better Fs9 Makemdl Compiler?

Guest lionheart777

Hey guys,Is it possible... to create... a far better compiler for FS2004? One that can compile a mesh with Verices closer then 4MM, (like say 1MM or even 0.5MM), and could make it more dense (have the ability to do 'larger' amounts of polygons in a model), and perhaps... just perhaps.. it could do this in seconds instead of 20 min's?I realise that FS9 will not 'see' a model that is too huge in poly counts. But the limit seems to flux. Sometimes a model will compile that is over 70,000 polys, while other times, it will max out at 65,000 polys.What we could do with such a compiler is that we could make FSX style mesh for FS9, (more sophisticated mesh with smoother lines). Thus, we could take our FSX only models and compile them to FS9 as well, thus expanding our market.I wonder if someone like Chris File would know how to do this...? Sure would help us ole developers out. (I wish I knew how to do it, lol... arrghh).BillLionheart Creations

BillI don't know about the poly limit my current project is at 64600 ploys at the moment and wont get much bigger but make mdl will compile a model with vertices closer than the 4mm limit. If you are using gmax and the gamepack then you will need something like MDL commander to intercept the compiling process. Once you have mdl commander installed you will be able to change the setting in the options tab. Too turn off welding vertices closer than 4mm simply uncheck the WeldPoints option. i routinely export models with vertex distances of 1mm and smaller with no ill effects. If you are using 3dsmax its even easier i use panda exporter to export to a direct x model. (version 4.8.61.0 i have found newer versions don't work with FS for some reason) once you have your .x model file all you do is drop it onto the makemdl icon, makemdl opens up and you can change the configuration setting as you please. Hope that helpsPaul

Unfortunately, that does nothing for the interior model. That is 'hard-wired' in MakeMDL.exe to collapse all vertices <= 4mm... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Unfortunately, that does nothing for the interior model. That is 'hard-wired' in MakeMDL.exe to collapse all vertices <= 4mm...
HHHmmmmm i didnt know that i have done some pretty fine (as in lots of close vertices :) ) work in my internal model and have never run into that problem must have a closer look thanks for the info

Hey guys,Is it possible... to create... a far better compiler for FS2004? One that can compile a mesh with Verices closer then 4MM, (like say 1MM or even 0.5MM), and could make it more dense (have the ability to do 'larger' amounts of polygons in a model), and perhaps... just perhaps.. it could do this in seconds instead of 20 min's?
I'm sure someone would happily develop a new version of MakeMDL that runs about a thousand times faster than the current one while handling more polys for an obsolescent version of Flight Simulator.

I'm sure someone would happily develop a new version of MakeMDL that runs about a thousand times faster than the current one while handling more polys for an obsolescent version of Flight Simulator.
While I only work in FSX I can appreciate the fact that FS9 will be around for a long time. Bill does too, and he is trying to market product for both versions. He's wondering if a better compiler is possible. I thought this forum was intended to be a place to help each other out... :(

While I only work in FSX I can appreciate the fact that FS9 will be around for a long time. Bill does too, and he is trying to market product for both versions. He's wondering if a better compiler is possible. I thought this forum was intended to be a place to help each other out... :(
Pay no attention to mgh... have no idea why they're even in here, to be honest. ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I was being realistic in pointing out that it's unlikely that anyone would bother developing an improved MakeMDL, especiaslly to meet those aspirations.Lionheart Creations is a commercial developer. If it really thinks a better compiler is worthwhile then it could commission (and pay) someone to develop it for them - unless you intend to help it out.

You are not a moderator. You are no more significant than any other poster in this forum.You have an ego larger than Jupiter.You really have no reason to be in this forum except to 'stir the pot'.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

You are not a moderator. You are no more significant than any other poster in this forum.You have an ego larger than Jupiter.You really have no reason to be in this forum except to 'stir the pot'.
One doesn't have to be a moderator in order to correct errors in posts. Anyone can do it to avoid other members being given misleading information or do you believe your error in the following thread should stand uncorrecteds?http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=236878

One doesn't have to be a moderator in order to correct errors in posts. Anyone can do it to avoid other members being given misleading information or do you believe your error in the following thread should stand uncorrecteds?http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=236878
'Anyone can do it'. Perhaps, however you are still far more interested in 'stirring the pot' in discussions. All anyone need do is search these forums for posts from you and note that you typically post to agitate the discussion. Absolutely nothing helpful in that.Regarding that thread, you stated:
"you don't seem to have initialised the variable Paused. As you code stands Paused could have any random value initially, so repeatedly toggling it won't cause it to change between 0 and 1. "
That statement would be 100% incorrect if the ! operator does what you state here:
"Try the declaration:bool Paused;I may be picky but the !-operator in principle works on boolean values not integers. I know that C isn't too particular about this but you never know! "
and here:
"The unary negation operator ! converts a non-zero or true operand into 0, and a zero operand into 1."
According to Visual C++ documentation:
"The logical-negation (logical-NOT) operator produces the value 0 if its operand is true (nonzero) and the value 1 if its operand is false (0). The result has int type. The operand must be an integral, floating, or pointer value."
Changing it to 'bool' would have not changed the behavior of the ! operator. Also, a bool value is in fact an int. I chose to not bother to respond since it offered no assistance to the thread's topic, despite the fact that you were completely wrong in your responses to the actual issue. That poster's issue actually turned out to be an FS issue and nothing to do with the code itself.Now... since you like calling people out for being wrong... please, call yourself out. As I've stated... you should be completely ignored in these forums.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Changing it to 'bool' would have not changed the behavior of the ! operator. Also, a bool value is in fact an int. I chose to not bother to respond since it offered no assistance to the thread's topic, despite the fact that you were completely wrong in your responses to the actual issue. That poster's issue actually turned out to be an FS issue and nothing to do with the code itself.
If I was completely wrong why did the Original Poster who started that topic reply?
Hey MGH,My 5 hours of precious time for an Integer!You were right... bool did the trick :( Thanks,Bryan York
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1507875Again your post needs correcting!

So, you're stating that a bool is not an int, and that the result of the ! operator is not an int... and that the result of using ! on a non-zero value may not return a zero value?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69