Sign in to follow this  
Guest tascaso

If things couldnt get worse with Meigs being demolished

Flight restrictions around Chicago...FLIGHT RESTRICTION CHICAGO, IL. EFFECTIVE 0303221700 UTC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, EXCEPT FOR MEDEVAC, LAW ENFORCEMENT, RESCUE/RECOVERY, EMERGENCY EVACUATION AND FIRE FIGHTING OPERATIONS, ALL VFR FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN AN AREA BEGINNING ON THE LAKE MICHIGAN SHORE LINE (415232N/873658W OR THE CHICAGO O'HARE /ORD/ VOR/DME 115.4 DEGREE RADIAL/14.6 DME), THEN WEST VIA THE EISENHOWER EXPRESSWAY TO THE INTERSECTION OF THE DAN RYAN EXPRESSWAY (415232N/873844W OR THE ORD 118 DEGREE RADIAL AT 13.4 DME) THEN NORTH VIA THE DAN RYAN/KENNEDY TO THE INTERSECTION OF ASHLAND AVENUE (415454N/874004W OR ORD 110.2 DEGREE RADIAL AT 11.5 DME) THEN NORTH VIA ASHLAND TO THE INTERSECTION OF IRVING PARK ROAD (415716N/874010W OR ORD 098.6 DEGREE RADIAL AT 10.7 DME) THEN EAST VIA IRVING PARK TO LAKE MICHIGAN SHORELINE (415718/873828W OR ORD 097.4 DEGREE RADIAL AT 12 DME) THEN SOUTH VIA THE SHORELINE EXCLUDING OLIVE PARK AND NAVY PIER TO THE POINT OF BEGINNING AT AND BELOW 3000 FEET AGL UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC. What more could Dickie Daly want?

this directive is old news...came out almost two weeks ago. Daley says he fears terrorism. Actually, while that may be partially true, he really wants the land under Meigs for an extension of Chicago's lakefront park system.Sherm

Guest stang

If I read this right this isn't much of a restriction since is affects only 3000 ft and below. Not a big deal at all. For sightseeing there is not much difference between 1000 ft (min over populated land) and 3000 ft anyway. The only reason to go below 3000 would be to land or takeoff and that is still allowed if "AUTHORIZED BY ATC". Terry

OK now, think about it. A NOTAM is really going to keep the bad boys away.I can hear it now,"Oh good golly God Akbar. We can not complete our mission. I have just received a notice that we must not fly over Chicago. What ever will we do now?What a bunch of crap.http://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/Radar_small.gifThis ain't no game kid!http://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/midget_ice/dansig.jpg

>OK now, think about it. A NOTAM is really going to keep the >bad boys away. >I can hear it now, >"Oh good golly God Akbar. We can not complete our mission. I >have just received a notice that we must not fly over >Chicago. What ever will we do now? >>What a bunch of crap. >ROFL!!! Yeah, that whole "hijacking is illegal" law really stopped the 9/11 psychos...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Max Cowgill

>OK now, think about it. A NOTAM is really going to keep the >bad boys away. >I can hear it now, >"Oh good golly God Akbar. We can not complete our mission. I >have just received a notice that we must not fly over >Chicago. What ever will we do now? >>What a bunch of crap. ROFLMAO! That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time (and so true). That would be like running a maximum security prison on the "honor system."-Max Cowgill

Guest Moghdad

A pretty meaningless TFR. The tallest buildings downtown reach 2325' MSL while the Chicago Class B extends over the whole area down to 3000'. So I doubt there was much uncontrolled VFR traffic there anyway, at least fixed wing.

Guest Tim13

"What more could Dickie Daly want?"How about an over flight tax everytime you cross a city boundary?...LOL.Tim13

Silly me, I should have read the date the TFR was released, and not jumped so quickly to post it. Oh well, it the heat of what had happened I let it get the best of me.Looking at the coordinates, its not much of a TFR, actually goes north to where I used to live. Daly is still a jerk though.

Guest Stompy

Oh thank God. I was desperately trying to read the date on the NOTAM and couldn't figure it out, assuming it was new. LOL! Phew! Thought I'd lost it there for a minute.EDIT: Since I couldn't decide if what I typed here violated the rules or not, I deleted it.

Guest tascaso

A lot of GA airports are under assault around the country and have been for a very long time. There is a lot of pressure from municipalities, counties, schools, home developers and many other interest groups to do away with them competely. As an AOPA member since 1994, I read the section regarding the efforts to save many small GA airports and we lose a lot of them every year.The problem lies within what the Federal government deems its ability or legal right to control the airspace where aircraft operate under thevarious regulations and rules (i.e FARS) The states have other ideas about that airspace and they are not very happy with the Federal government telling them what they can and cannot do with GA airports. This is one tough nut to sort out. I am at work and have to get back to the grind. But look forward to more closures...this Meigs fiasco will enbolden more counties and municipalities to take on AOPA and just close them down. There are many politicos out there that frown on mere civilians just being able to fly around in small aircraft whenever we feel like it....it just irks them to pieces.Just look at how much wilderness is inaccessible now. Here is California there are dozens of areas I used to drive, hike into that are now off limits to all types of use...its incredible. Well back to work.T. Ascaso, RN