Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Beta

Guest firehawk44

I downloaded and installed the beta release of the next upgrade to Windows Vista today. If anyone else is interested in doing the same, here's a link: http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/pa...sp2-beta-2.aspx. It took about 30 minutes to install on my 32 bit system and, of course, the first thing I ran was FSX w/DX10 Preview enabled as one of the "fixes" was an enhancement of DX10 as requested by community users. Unfortunately it did not fix any of the problems associated with DX10 Preview enabled BUT I saw much clearer rendering of graphics and the fps were noticably better. It's difficult for me to get an exact benchmark of the increase but I did see fps in the 40's and 50's when I could barely get them out of the 30's in the past (I have the Nvidia 180.48 display drivers installed too). So I ran my favorite benchmark program, 3DMark Vantage and saw a small increase in the benchmark. Previously my benchmark was 13798; now it's 13821. So thought I'd throw this bit of info out to AVSIM forum readers and maybe it'll help your fps too.Best regards,Jim

Thanks for the heads up. I have had massive problems with Vista so I am hoping it will install and fix my problems. Downloading now...

Thanks Jim - Did your FPS in non-DX10 preview get any better as well ?

Thanks for the heads up. I have had massive problems with Vista so I am hoping it will install and fix my problems. Downloading now...
Geof, I'll wait and see if your're on line tomorrow.If not... I won't install it!! :(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Geof, I'll wait and see if your're on line tomorrow.If not... I won't install it!! :(
Unfortunately I am on line because it won't install with the same problem I've had since day one (Vista won't update).Error-Ox8007370b which there is apparently no cure for-even from Microsoft!Your on your own David-I'll check if you are online tomorrow! :(

Yes Im curious about that figure too. I never use dx10 because of addon compatiblity issues. That is another story itself tho. LOL

Guest firehawk44
No. They were worse than DX10. I was going to come back on today and call myself a liar regarding my original post as late last night I ran FSX using the Aerosoft F16 w/o DX10 enabled. FPS never got above 19. But, w/DX10 enabled, FPS on the F16 went into the upper 30's. Quite an improvement but this was by design of the Microsoft Aces Techs as DX10 is suppose to increase fps and Vista SP2 probably didn't cause the increase. In my orig post, I was using the Aerosoft Beaver and got 40-50 fps w/DX10 enabled. W/o DX10, the Beaver barely reached the 30's and mainly stayed in the 20's. So I really doubt this Vista SP2 upgrade is going to any wonderous things with fps but, for me, I have to try out the latest and greatest.Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
Unfortunately I am on line because it won't install with the same problem I've had since day one (Vista won't update).Error-Ox8007370b which there is apparently no cure for-even from Microsoft!Your on your own David-I'll check if you are online tomorrow! :(
Geof,I found some solutions for your problem with that error number. Here's one link that might help you: http://hubpages.com/hub/kbresolutions. BTW, the error you state above is wrong. It should be a numerical 0 instead of the letter O at the beginning of the error. Then, if you do a google search of 0x8007370b, you'll find several possible solutions to your problem. Hope this helps!Best regards,Jim

Geofa,I had the same issue as you a few months ago (Vista would not update Error-Ox8007370b). First of all, if Microsoft has not had you do so, download the the System Readiness Tool from Microsoft and run it. It may be able to correct the issue that is causing you problems. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821If that does not work, which it did not in my case, you should try an in place upgrade (reinstall of Vista). This did correct my problem and allow Windows Update to start functioning again. You will need your original Vista install disk to attempt an in place upgrade. However, If you have installed SP1 you must have an install disk with SP1 integrated otherwise the upgrade will not take place because you are trying to upgrade a newer version of Vista with an older one.If you are having problems with the Windows Update feature support is always free. In my case I had original pre SP1 install disks and Tech Support said they would send me Vista with SP1 install disks at no charge. When I called the Microsoft Disk Distribution Center as directed by Tech Support...they wanted to charge me $40 for the updated disks. To say the least I lost my cool. I e-mailed my Microsoft Support Technician who called me direct within 15 minutes of my sending the e-mail. We then got in a conference call with the Distribution center, my disks were sent at no charge and the problem is now solved. I had spent over 12 hours on the phone with Microsoft at varying levels of Tech Support and this was the last resort , short of a new install, to attempt to correct the issue. Thankfully it worked like a charm.

Geofa,I had the same issue as you a few months ago (Vista would not update Error-Ox8007370b). First of all, if Microsoft has not had you do so, download the the System Readiness Tool from Microsoft and run it. It may be able to correct the issue that is causing you problems. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821If that does not work, which it did not in my case, you should try an in place upgrade (reinstall of Vista). This did correct my problem and allow Windows Update to start functioning again. You will need your original Vista install disk to attempt an in place upgrade. However, If you have installed SP1 you must have an install disk with SP1 integrated otherwise the upgrade will not take place because you are trying to upgrade a newer version of Vista with an older one.If you are having problems with the Windows Update feature support is always free. In my case I had original pre SP1 install disks and Tech Support said they would send me Vista with SP1 install disks at no charge. When I called the Microsoft Disk Distribution Center as directed by Tech Support...they wanted to charge me $40 for the updated disks. To say the least I lost my cool. I e-mailed my Microsoft Support Technician who called me direct within 15 minutes of my sending the e-mail. We then got in a conference call with the Distribution center, my disks were sent at no charge and the problem is now solved. I had spent over 12 hours on the phone with Microsoft at varying levels of Tech Support and this was the last resort , short of a new install, to attempt to correct the issue. Thankfully it worked like a charm.
Thanks Jim and Sargenski. I'll give it another look. I did spend most of last year working with 8 different Microsoft techs-did much as described above-never could get rid of the problem and ended up having to reformat and reistall after a month long treck each time-to have the same problem occur again. I will try again and see if I get better luck but right now I am using the computer (albeit with no updates) fine-and I lost a lot of time sensitive fs products (not to mention time) with each reformat so don't want to go there again.

When using the new service pack, and DX10 in FS, are you still seeing "flashing runways"? I downloaded the service pack, but won't install it if it has the chance of making my system unstable.Do you recommend a restore procedure before installing this Beta? Will a restore even work should something unusual happen?I'm assusming that this service pack is safe....is it?Stan

When using the new service pack, and DX10 in FS, are you still seeing "flashing runways"? I downloaded the service pack, but won't install it if it has the chance of making my system unstable.Do you recommend a restore procedure before installing this Beta? Will a restore even work should something unusual happen?I'm assusming that this service pack is safe....is it?Stan
Yah you could make one but it makes one itself (restore...)There are uninstalling instructions, I am about to install mine for Vista64, already did so for Vista32 as a trial run cause AI dont work there much anymoreMost (99%) work is done in Vista64 nowALlen

Guest firehawk44
ALlen is correct. The upgrade sets up a restore point before installing. Flashing runways.... Yes, unfortunately, those are still flashing.Jim

ALlen is correct. The upgrade sets up a restore point before installing. Flashing runways.... Yes, unfortunately, those are still flashing.Jim
I installed it yesterday...no real issues to speak of and it works. WHY can't we get rid of the flashing runways? What exactly is the issue that causes this, and is Microsoft going to address it before FSX 11?Stan

I installed it yesterday...no real issues to speak of and it works. WHY can't we get rid of the flashing runways? What exactly is the issue that causes this, and is Microsoft going to address it before FSX 11?Stan
Stan, I would say no on the flashing runways being fixed. I think the "DX 10 preview" is just that. I did install pack 2 ok on my umpc that I use in the airplane, and it seems fine, but my desktop is again impossible.