Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey L. Whitaker

Fmc Fonts

Good day virtual pilots!I have encountered a very strange and frustrating problem with the fonts on my MD-11.http://outdoorachievement.com/FSX/FCP.htmhttp://outdoorachievement.com/FSX/FMC.htmI just did a complete reformat and subsequently reinstalled the PMDG software. Unfortunately the problem persists. I am certain it has something to do with my settings. Again, I am working with a fresh reformat and have not adjusted any of my FSX display settings.SPECS:Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1Intel Core i7-920 Processor3GB DD3, 1066MHzATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated!Thanks in advance, Jeff

Guest johnan

Jeff,I have exactly the same problem with corruption of some of the fonts in the 2D view.I have reported it to the PMDG support people who are aware of it and apparently it only occurs on Radeon graphics cards (It did not happen on my previous Nvidia card).They in turn have told ATI, without resolution so far.Bit of a pain really.Lovely simulation spoiled by such a small thing.John

Yes I see this too, it has been like this ever since I upgraded to an HD4870, it didn't do it with my previous Radeon card the X1950XTX. It doesn't just do it in FSX, I've seen it in other App's too.

Cheers, Andy.

Since getting the ATI4870 I've noticed the torn fonts in the 747X as well. Ryan, with PMDG, also sees the problem and last heard was the guy talking to ATI.

Dan Downs KCRP

From our support forum at Level-D Simulations:I have found that enabling the "Alternate pixel center" option (in the Catalyst Direct3D settings) fixes the pixel shear. However, this setting introduces other problems, like blurred text in various applications (FSX among them). Also, this option wasn't enabled on my previous system, which had a Radeon HD3870 video card.

The SUPPORT FORUM for Level-D Simulations products: http://www.leveldsim.com/forums

LVLDF1.gif

Daryl,Thanks - I will try this when I get back home. I have just changed to ATI after several generations of NVidia {to get rid of the FSX Menu crashes} and seen this font problem with all PMDG and Level D aircraft {it even shows with PSS aircraft}. Hope it can be fixed by ATI before we all have to go back to NVidia --- ouch!!John R

Hi, having a ATI card i don't see this but i noticed something else which makes me believe its not a font problem. The bitmap itself is distorted also. Seems it is related to the window/gaugebmp scaling. Sorry for cutting your nice screenshots. Follow the grey line.Regards, Gerrit

Yes this is what I'm talking about its not actually got anything to do with the fonts themselves, and as I said previously I've seen it in other programs besides FSX.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi,Those with these issues are running ATI cards. There's your problem. Nothing wrong with nVidia - find a driver that works and stick with it is my advice. Updating the drivers every time a new driver is out actually creates issues.It's a weird problem, but looks to be a glitch of your system rather than anything specific to either FSX or the MD-11.What resolution do you run at, and what are your graphics settings (not FSX detail settings)?Best regards,Robin.

I appreciate you probably can't test this now, but what is it like in a window (I'm presuming the above issue is in fullscreen mode)? If it fixes itself, then that points to a driver issue.Best regards,Robin.

It does it in fullscreen and windowed mode. To be honest it doesn't bother me as you can hardly see it most of the time anyway.

Cheers, Andy.

I also have this oddity in both windowed and full screen modes. It does not occur in FS9; but, with FSX all of the more complex add-ons seem to exhibit it {PMDG 747, LDS 767, even PSS 757} with LDS appearing the least affected. Its most noticeable on the FMC but also can be seen on other EICAS type panels. It is also seen in some {but not all} VC; this varies between aircraft.Drivers do not seem to affect it although I have only tried 3 on my new ATI card. Nor do changes to resolution etc. As above, the "alternate pixel" resolves things but does intoduce blurring on the menu fonts {as does changing the dpi in windows}.As Andy suggested, only a minor irritation and at least I don't get the menu crashes which were a constant problem with my NVidia card.RegardsJohn R