Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey L. Whitaker

Fmc Fonts

and at least I don't get the menu crashes which were a constant problem with my NVidia card.
* thinks *What was your last nVidia card?Best regards,Robin.

Robin,My system is a self build when FSX was first released: C2D with 7950GT running on a P5B-E mobo. It runs FSX SP2 very well for its age but from SP2 release I suffered the menu d3d9.dll crashes. During the last year I tried everything I could, short of replacing the system, with no luck.Next step was hardware and, as later NVidia generations can also suffer the same problem {although I also have a lower powered system with an old 6800 card with no menu crashes}, I went for ATI. No more crashes and when everything is working, the 4850 is very good. It does have some irritating characteristics as well as this font problem: menu lag in FS9, the user-unfriendly CCC etc.I suspect that the only way to solve the NVidia problem would be an entirely new set on components; so when the time comes for a rebuild, i guess I might try NVidia again.Many thanks for your interest {I still have the 7950 if you ghae any new ideas?}Best WishesJohnPS for Mod: Perhaps this should now be in the hardware forum?

I'd like to chip in and report that I also have the problem just as it is being described here (I am using a 4870). I also agree that it is not just distortion in the fonts but distortion across the entire bitmap. There is a "fold" or "tear" that runs diagonally across certain areas of the bitmap.I am running dual monitors which have a native Ratio of 16:10 and are running at 1680 x 1050.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I have the same ATI card series and the same problem - i thought it may have just been my system but reading through replies we all have the same issue with the same card - although it is minor it still bugs me a little! The links you posted do not work - can you repost? i would love to see if they match exactly the problem i have with the fonts.Thanks in advance.

Here is a med resolution shot of my MCDU with the ATI4870, note the tear through the J in JEPNI and the 6L in 26LIM. I'd rather not see it but I'm used to it. This will appear in other programs besides the pmdg aircraft, not just an MD11 problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Identiacal wo what i have with the 4870. My 'tear' also continues diagonally through glareshield/mcp panel (the VOR and ADF switches).Did a search for the latest drivers and found a newer one that may be worth installing to see if this eliminates the tear.Have you installed or using the latest for that card?

"spant," would you mind using your real name?

Dan Downs KCRP

I have the exact same tear with my 4870x2, didn't start like that took a week or so, I am used to it but I would like to get rid of it sometime.Jay V.

On Dan MCDU shot 26LIM tear through the L my doesn't and the J in JEPNI same as yoursHere my MCDU shot1-30-20098-22-25PM.jpgDilip

What Graphics card do you have? because the image you posted Dilip looks fine to me.

Cheers, Andy.

I'm using VisionTek X1950PRO 256MB XGE AGP with 8.11 DriverDilip

That's probably why you are not seeing this issue (that is what you are saying isn't it, to be honest your first post doesn't make much sense), I believe it is only being seen on the HD4870 range of cards.

Cheers, Andy.

The issue is confined to the 4xxx series cards and only happens in FSX. As Dan said, I've contacted ATI multiple times asking for a fix, even offering them a free copy of the MD-11 to test and fix the issue with - have received no response and at this point I doubt we're going to see it fixed. The two or three complaints they get about a problem involving niche FSX addon products are unfortunately nothing compared to mainstream games. I encourage everyone with the card to contact them though here:http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.a...86&type=webThe Nvidia cards are not without issue I might add - they don't have this particular problem, but they have their own set of issues with antialiasing and tooltips (half the screen freezes and shows an old image from the framebuffer), complicated override procedures using nHancer to get AA working in FS9 etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I also just contacted ATi support, hopefully they will take a gander at it.